[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Portable on Airplanes

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (02/08/88)

In article <2269@chinet.UUCP>, ignatz@chinet.UUCP (Dave Ihnat) writes:
> As an aside, you'll rarely have trouble getting permission to operate
> a portable while in flight, either.  It's always at the captain's
> discretion, by FAA regulation, to permit or forbid such operation, so
> I always ask.  Although it was pointed out to me that on at least one
> carrier--TWA--the captain *must* permit you to do so, by company
> regulation; he showed me the relevant manual and section.  By
> extension, I suspect some other carriers may have similar clauses; but
> I've always found that extending the captain the courtesy of asking is
> appreciated, even when he's supposed to have to say yes...

Actually, according to the FARs (Federal Aviation Regulations), the pilot
does NOT have this authority.  According to FAR 91.19b, allowed portable
electronic devices include "Portable voice recorders, hearing aids,
heart pacemakers, electric shavers, or any other device that the operator
of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with navigation
or communication system of the aircraft."  91.19c goes on to say that
"...in the case of an aircraft operated by an AIR CARRIER or or commercial
operator, the determination ... shall be made by the AIR CARRIER or
or commercial operator of the aircraft...   In the case of other aircraft,
the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other operator of
the aircraft." [emphasis mine]

So, the pilot can technically give his approval only if his company has
already done so.  Of course, other regulations give the pilot in command
final authority for everything that takes place on the aircraft.

I am well aware that the chances of any problems arising from the use of
a portable computer are very minimal, but I do find it surprising that TWA
is willing to offer such a blanket approval.  How have they "determined"
that your particular computer does not cause interference?
--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784