[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Early IBM personal machines, was The New Chips

johnl@ima.ISC.COM (John R. Levine) (02/08/88)

In article <19753@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>Along the same lines, most PC users don't know that the "IBM PC" was
>IBM's second attempt at a "personal" computer.  The first was called
>the System/23 or "Datamaster".  I don't recall the IBM product number.
>From my experiences with IBM's first "PC", I'm more than happy that
>they used someone else's chips to build the "real" PC.  It was at
>least flexible enough to last as long as it has, and encouraged the
>3rd party support that's necessary for the survival of a personal
>computer.

It's hard to see what that has to do with it, considering that the Data
master was built around an Intel 8086!  It suffered severely from a closed
architecture that made it impractical to add any third party devices.  It
was also designed under IBM's standard guidelines which at the time said that
users should never be expected to open up their computers, nor to do any
assembly that requires tools.  It was unthinkable to expect users to get out
their screwdrivers, install cards, set DIP switches, and other stuff that we
now take for granted, for better or for worse.

But the Datamaster was far from IBM's first personal machine.  They had a
nifty though pricey series of desktop machines in the 70's, called the 5100,
5110, and 5120.  They had some random IBM CPU chip inside never seen since.
There were two ways to program it, in a fairly decent Basic, and in APL\360.
Rather than write a new APL interpreter, they wrote a 360 simulator and ran
the user part of APL\360 on it.  It certainly was compatible, though a
little slow.  Using cartridge tapes for the only mass storage wasn't much
help either, and by the time they added a floppy option to the 5120 it was
too late.  But you certainly could run serious APL programs, subject only
to space constraints.

IBM's first personal computer was arguably the 610 Auto-Point Computer,
also known as the "Personal Automatic Calculator" introduced in 1957.  It
cost $55,000, was programmed mostly with paper tape and a plugboard, and
generated a lot of heat, since it used vacuum tubes.  Like too many IBM
machines, it suffered from a long delay between design and delivery, and
so was obsolescent when it was introduced.  They only made 180 of them.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (02/08/88)

> In article <19753@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
> >Along the same lines, most PC users don't know that the "IBM PC" was
> >IBM's second attempt at a "personal" computer.  The first was called
> >the System/23 or "Datamaster".  I don't recall the IBM product number.
  ... and let's not forget IBM's 68000-based CS90000 (tho that was released
      in June, 1982)..