[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Formatting 720Kb 3.5" disks on XT clone

schmitz@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Thomas Schmitz) (02/05/88)

Why doesn't the DOS FORMAT command work correctly when formatting
3.5-inch diskettes on an XT clone?  The format steps through 40 tracks
correctly, then fails.

The system in question is MS DOS 3.2 (or PC DOS 3.3) on an XT clone
with a Toshiba 3.5" 720K drive.  So far, only 360-K formats are
successful.

-- Tom Schmitz

ARPA:  schmitz@zeus.cs.umn.edu                 2111 21st Avenue South
UUCP:  ...!rutgers!umn-cs!schmitz              Minneapolis, MN  55404
CSNET: schmitz%zeus%umn-cs.arpa@relay.cs.net   (612) 340-1855

esd@cbterra.ATT.COM (Eric S. Deese) (02/05/88)

In article <3814@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> schmitz@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Thomas Schmitz) writes:
>Why doesn't the DOS FORMAT command work correctly when formatting
>3.5-inch diskettes on an XT clone?  The format steps through 40 tracks
>correctly, then fails.
>
>The system in question is MS DOS 3.2 (or PC DOS 3.3) on an XT clone
>with a Toshiba 3.5" 720K drive.  So far, only 360-K formats are
>successful.
>
>-- Tom Schmitz

I have a similar problem -- I have an AT clone with a 1.44M  3.5"
floppy (unsure of manufacturer).  I can format 1.44M, but can not
format as 720K or 360K.  I am using generic MS DOS 3.30 and am
having the worst time trying to figure out the options I need
to supply to FORMAT.  If anyone out there can help, I would
be extreeeeeemly thankful.

Thanks in advance,
Eric Deese (cbosgd!esd)

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (02/07/88)

Recently, I had to get a 1.44 meg Sony 3.5 inch drive to work on
an AST AT look-alike machine.

Dang frustrating, as has been noted on this net.

1.  Use [MS]DOS 3.3.  ver. 3.2 might work, but I used 3.3

2.  Install the drive as floppy unit 1 (B:).  I assume that you
    are going to retain the original 1.2 meg drive as A:

3.  The AST's Phoenix BIOS has a built-in CMOS RAM setup program
    that is accessed through CTRL-RSHIFT-ALT (or something simialr;
    I don't recall off hand).

4.  Edit your CONFIG.SYS file to set up parameters for your drive.
    Unfortunately, there isn't any real nice pretty way to get the
    drive to user-transparently switch back 'n forth between 720K
    and 1.44 meg.  What you need to do is set the DRIVPARM for 720K
    and then use the DRIVER.SYS device driver to handle the 1.44
    meg operation.  What happens is that DRIVER.SYS will map the
    1.44 meg operation into the first available letter after your
    fixed disk:

    This is from memory, so consult your DOS manual to double
    check.
    <<contents of config.sys>>

    DRIVPARM=/D1 /T80 /H2 /S9 /U1
    DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /D1 /T80 /H2 /S18 /U1
					 ^

		     this is the parameter I don't remember
		     you need to indicate to use the drive
		     media change line.

The above worked for me, your mileage may vary.

--Bill

stephenk@ntcsd1.UUCP (Stephen Keilholz) (02/09/88)

In article <3814@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> schmitz@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Thomas Schmitz) writes:
>Why doesn't the DOS FORMAT command work correctly when formatting
>3.5-inch diskettes on an XT clone?  The format steps through 40 tracks
>correctly, then fails.
>
>The system in question is MS DOS 3.2 (or PC DOS 3.3) on an XT clone
>with a Toshiba 3.5" 720K drive.  So far, only 360-K formats are
>successful.

Tom,

You need to include a reference to DRIVER.SYS in your CONFIG.SYS to
tell DOS that the drive is a 720K drive (actually that it has 80 tracks).
You can also use it to add tracks to 5 1/4" floppies -- just define them
as 43 track drives.  I have been able to successfully format 3.5 inch disks
with 84 tracks and 5.25 inch disks with 43.  (Not recommended but it can be
done.)

If you do not format disks daily, you can install the DRIVER.SYS, format all
your disks, then remove it from your CONFIG.SYS.  DOS Recognizes the format
of disks after they have been formated.

If you need the specifics for installing DRIVER.SYS and can't find them in
any reference books (DOS Manuals or other DOS books) let me know and I'll
check it outt (at home.)

Stephen Keilholz
{WhereIAm}ntcsd1!stephenk

P.S.  My system is DOS 3.2, PC-Clone, and Toshiba 3.5" Drive.
S.K.