[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for 286 protected mode debugger

hendel@smc1.UUCP (Ariel Hendel) (02/02/88)

Does anyone know of a debugger suitable for the 80286 protected mode?

It is intended for a stand-alone application being developed in a 286 based
machine. All I was able to find so far was expensive hardware based
emulators.

Ariel Hendel - Standard Microsystems Corp. - Hauppaugge, New York
HENDEL@SMC1.UUCP - phone (516) 273-3100 ext. 2479

sedwards@esunix.UUCP (Scott Edwards) (02/06/88)

in article <125@smc1.UUCP>, hendel@smc1.UUCP (Ariel Hendel) says:

> Does anyone know of a debugger suitable for the 80286 protected mode?
>
> It is intended for a stand-alone application being developed in a 286 based
> machine. All I was able to find so far was expensive hardware based
> emulators.

I an under the impression that doing a protected mode '286 software debugger
is impossible because of the protection.  I think Intel made a special
pin-out version of the '286 for hardware emulators that allows them to
circumvent the protection for debugging purposes.

<<<  These opinions are not my own, I'm just taking them for a test drive  >>>

jackm@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Jack Morrison) (02/10/88)

In article <700@esunix.UUCP> sedwards@esunix.UUCP (Scott Edwards) writes:
>in article <125@smc1.UUCP>, hendel@smc1.UUCP (Ariel Hendel) says:
>> Does anyone know of a debugger suitable for the 80286 protected mode?
>>

>I an under the impression that doing a protected mode '286 software debugger
>is impossible because of the protection.  I think Intel made a special

Not true. I've written a debugger with disassembler for protected 286. It
has to run at maximum privilege level, and has to play games to access
arbitrary memory, but it can be done. In fact, it ran in a multitasking
OS that we wrote, and included breakpoints and single-stepping using the
appropriate software interrupts.

The code is the property of my former employer, however...

--
Jack C. Morrison	Jet Propulsion Laboratory
(818)354-1431		jackm@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov