[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Wanted: Sperry PC-IT hotline into UNISYS

jay@umd5.umd.edu (Jay Elvove) (01/30/88)

I am the proud owner of a Sperry PC-IT.  When I bought it, I considered my
investment as relatively state-of-the-art.  Now, however, developments in
the PC world are rapidly passing it by.  This is not to say that I am un-
happy with machine.  Quite the contrary!  It performs admirably and is
reasonably IBM compatible, as long as I use Sperry's DOS and not IBM's.

What I'm looking for is some sort of gateway into the UNISYS organization
so I can find out what plans, if any, they have in store for owner of their
IT line of micros.  For instance, what's the latest available ROM (and where
do you get a hold of it if you want to)?  What's the latest available DOS?
Is my machine capable (as is) of supporting a 3.5" 1.44 megabyte floppy drive?
If not, what, if anything, can I do to upgrade along this line?  Does
UNISYS have plans for true blue VGA support?  Etc.?

Is there anyone out there who know where information of this sort might
be obtained.  I know there are many UNISYS sights on the net; can you guys
give me any pointers?

One of the ironies of my quest for information is that we at Maryland have a
Sperry 1190/2 with on-site UNISYS customer engineers.  Lots a managers and
salesmen come and go, but none seems to have a clue as to where I can get
information about PC support.  I'm guessing that there are not enough Sperry
PCs out there that one could form a special interest group of some kind, so
I've resorted this news group as my best shot.  Thanks very much in advance:
--

Jay Elvove       jay@umd5.umd.edu
c/o Systems, Computer Science Center, U. of MD.

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (02/02/88)

In article <2237@umd5.umd.edu> jay@umd5.umd.edu (Jay Elvove) writes:
>I am the proud owner of a Sperry PC-IT.  When I bought it, I considered my
>investment as relatively state-of-the-art.  Now, however, developments in
>What I'm looking for is some sort of gateway into the UNISYS organization
>so I can find out what plans, if any, they have in store for owner of their
>IT line of micros.....
I used to work for UNISYS, not in their PC group, but we used their PC's
in house. When I left (less than 1 yr ago) it was my understanding that the
UNISYS(Sperry) PC was actually made by Mitsubishi, and just had a UNISYS
sticker glued to the case. If you want to know what UNISYS has planned for
the future of its PC users, try calling Mitsubishi Consumer Electronics
division.
BTW - the UNISYS PC's that we used were fully bus compatible with real
ibms, so you could probably shop around for commercial 80386 upgrade boards
if you need more horse power.

feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) (02/10/88)

> In article <2237@umd5.umd.edu> jay@umd5.umd.edu (Jay Elvove) writes:
> >I am the proud owner of a Sperry PC-IT.  When I bought it, I considered my
> >investment as relatively state-of-the-art.  Now, however, developments in
> >What I'm looking for is some sort of gateway into the UNISYS organization

Sorry Guys, I've tried to email Jay with no success.
  Sperry's PC technical help number is 1-800-328-1015

Forrest Gehrke