[comp.sys.ibm.pc] When is someone going to moderate comp.binaries.ibm.pc

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (02/05/88)

In article <3168@watcgl.waterloo.edu> jjboritz@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim Boritz) writes:
> [...]
> I also recall that just as Harry was about to become moderator someone else
> volunteered.  Where have they gone.  If you are still out there, whoever
> you are, then please don't wait any longer.  Volunteer again.

About the same time Harry made his big pitch to be moderator, Rahul
Dhesi (dhesi@bsu-cs)--our very own ZOO keeper--also volunteered.  I
remember thinking at the time that Rahul would make a fine moderator,
but then the net was inundated with Harry's big promotional blitz.

If Rahul hasn't come to his senses yet, perhaps he might renew his
offer.  At least we know he's going to be around for awhile. . . .

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                        GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!sun!plx!slvblc!dick               Voice: +1 408 336 3481

jjboritz@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim Boritz) (02/05/88)

If memory serves me correctly, then one Harry Skelton (sp?) was supposed to
arrange to become the moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  Where did he go?
Does anyone have any idea.  This is the second posting the second inquiry
I have seen made about his whereabouts.  From what I remember, Harry was
all ready to moderate.  He posted a binaries newsletter.  There was some
trouble with informing the correct people, but that was months ago and no
one has heard from him since.

I also recall that just as Harry was about to become moderator someone else
volunteered.  Where have they gone.  If you are still out there, whoever
you are, then please don't wait any longer.  Volunteer again.

Comp.binaries.ibm.pc is becoming inundated with all sorts of junk that does
not belong there.

Flame on.

I used to think that people would have the sense not to post requests for
reposts to the binaries newsgroup.  Nor would they carry on arguments.
Nor would they make other requests.  ad nauseum.

In addition, people ignore the posting of pkarc, only to ask for it a week
later when they finally realize they need it.  I thought we had finished
this argument last year.

Flame Off.

I am sorry but a binaries newsgroup should be just that, a binaries
newsgroup.  If people could resist from posting other things there then
there would be no great need to have it moderated.  Until then ...

Jim Boritz

--
Jim Boritz			jjboritz@watcgl.waterloo.edu
Computer Graphics Lab

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (02/07/88)

In article <3168@watcgl.waterloo.edu> jjboritz@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim Boritz) writes:

>If memory serves me correctly, then one Harry Skelton (sp?) was supposed to
>arrange to become the moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  Where did he go?
>Does anyone have any idea.
[ stuff deleted for breviety ]

>I also recall that just as Harry was about to become moderator someone else
>volunteered.  Where have they gone.  If you are still out there, whoever
>you are, then please don't wait any longer.  Volunteer again.

[ rest deleted ]

I may not have been the person who volunteered before, but about 2 weeks
ago I volunteered.  I mailed the backbone a message, but received no
reply.  So I am volunteering by this post.  I await contact if my
services are desired.

We have room to archive a large portion of this group, plus several
pc's to try out the binaries.  I also do not like all the non binaries
that are in this group.  If I moderate it, I will automaticall bounce
all of those to some other group, such as perhaps, comp.sys.ibm.pc

Looking for someone to moderate comp.binaries.ibm.pc even if its me.
Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bellcore,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	FAX:   (215) 938-0235

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/09/88)

In article <403@slvblc.UUCP> dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:
| In article <3168@watcgl.waterloo.edu> jjboritz@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim Boritz) writes:
| > [...]
| > I also recall that just as Harry was about to become moderator someone else
| > volunteered.  Where have they gone.  If you are still out there, whoever
| > you are, then please don't wait any longer.  Volunteer again.
|
| About the same time Harry made his big pitch to be moderator, Rahul
| Dhesi (dhesi@bsu-cs)--our very own ZOO keeper--also volunteered.  I

I think he would be an excellent moderator.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

jgray@toad.pilchuck.Data-IO.COM (Jerry Late Nite Gray) (02/10/88)

In article <3168@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, jjboritz@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim Boritz) writes:

> Comp.binaries.ibm.pc is becoming inundated with all sorts of junk that does
> not belong there.
>
> Flame on.
> .... (verbiage deleted)
> Flame Off.
>
> I am sorry but a binaries newsgroup should be just that, a binaries
> newsgroup.  If people could resist from posting other things there then
> there would be no great need to have it moderated.  Until then ...

Has it ever occurred to anyone that the "junk" is there for a reason? I
understand the supposed frustration of readers anywhere that must repeatedly
use the "n" key to get passed unwanted articles. But it is necessary.

Why?

Any study of information flow in an imperfect media (anyone care to defend
the concept that usenet is perfect?)shows that some kind of information control
is NECESSARY. Errors which are not true data errors (glitches) are errors of
the type stated in the previous posting ("Gee I missed the Nth article of a
13 part mini-series" or "I threw away pkarc before I realized I needed it"
and so on....). Corrective action is always needed.

comp.sys.ibm.pc gets about a 100 articles a day not related to anything on
comp.binaries.ibm.pc. Most people do not have the time or inclination to review
ALL of the entries to comp.sys.ibm.pc to look for pertinent data prior to
dealing with comp.binaries.ibm.pc. From the point of view of a control problem
for comp.binaries.ibm.pc, comp.sys.ibm.pc has an extremely high noise
(translate that to hitting "n" key nearly forever). A noise level which is too
high to be practical.

What is really needed (if comp.binaries.ibm.pc is truly be binaries only) is
a separate newsgroup like comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d to handle flow control
(I can hear the crowd moaning "Oh god not another news group").
Actually, if the "junk" amounting to "discussion" were eliminated from
comp.binaries.ibm.pc and the "flow control" (requests, acknowledgments,
announcements, etc.) were maintained, I wouldn't mind the burden on the
"n" key.

Personally, I haven't minded the "junk" at all in comp.binaries.ibm.pc. I have
to use the "n" key on a far higher percentage (and number) of articles in
this group than that one.  Especially when the articles are useless flames
and complaints about things I don't give a damn about (one way or the other).

---------------
					Jerrold L. Gray

UUCP:{ihnp4|caip|tektronix|ucbvax}!uw-beaver!tikal!pilchuck!jgray

USNAIL:	10525 Willows Road N.E. /C-46
	Redmond, Wa.  98052
	(206) 881 - 6444 x470

Telex:  15-2167

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (02/10/88)

In article <403@slvblc.UUCP> dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:
>About the same time Harry made his big pitch to be moderator, Rahul
>Dhesi (dhesi@bsu-cs)--our very own ZOO keeper--also volunteered.

I'm still here, and if you people need a moderator, I'll volunteer
again.  Don't we also have to get the blessing of the Net Gods?  (I
would also have to check with my UUCP neighbors, but we have several so
I'm sure something will work out.)
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) (02/11/88)

In article <3168@watcgl.waterloo.edu> jjboritz@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim Boritz) writes:

>If memory serves me correctly, then one Harry Skelton (sp?) was supposed to
>arrange to become the moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  Where did he go?
>I also recall that just as Harry was about to become moderator someone else
>volunteered.  Where have they gone.  If you are still out there, whoever
>you are, then please don't wait any longer.  Volunteer again.
>Jim Boritz			jjboritz@watcgl.waterloo.edu
>Computer Graphics Lab
>University of Waterloo 		{allegra,utai,clyde}!watmath!watcgl!jjboritz

I at one time volunteered to moderate this newsgroup, however I did not have
the time nor the energy to manage it in the way that Harry was planning (you
know, newsletters and the like) but was planning on archiving all input
requests, trying them out, and then posting those that didn't trash my machine.

I really don't know is the world is looking for that type of moderation. As
time goes on and experiance is aquired, things might start looking up in the
world for the type of moderation going on, but at this point in time, its
not at its best stages...

Also, I have no real idea what software is required to run a moderation
site. I have requested the information from Gene, but have gotten no response.
Of course, his mailbox is probably like a circular file system so thats really
no suprise.

Well, if people are still interested in moderating the binaries section, and
need someone, let me know, vote for it, whatever...

Marcos Della

--
...!csustan ->!polyslo!caus-dp!marcos | marcos@caus-dp | Whatever I said doesn't
...!sdsu ---/   Lt. Marcos R. Della   | mdella@polyslo | mean diddly as I forgot