[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 256K Memory Chips in an original AT

woo@pioneer.arpa (Alex Woo) (02/10/88)

My office mate's IBM AT seems to have a bad piggy-back 128K chip
on its system board.  Is it possible to chuck these piggy-back
chips and use 256K chips in the original IBM PC AT motherboard?

Thanks,

Alex Woo

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/11/88)

In article <4639@ames.arpa> woo@pioneer.UUCP (Alex Woo) writes:
>My office mate's IBM AT seems to have a bad piggy-back 128K chip
>on its system board.  Is it possible to chuck these piggy-back
>chips and use 256K chips in the original IBM PC AT motherboard?

Wouldn't life be wonderful if IBM had forseen the possibility of using
256kbit chips in the AT.

No, you cannot replace any or all of the chips in the AT with 256kbit
chips, at least not easily.  About the only thing that I can recommend
is going to a true-blue dealer and seeing if you can buy a piggyback
from them.  They'll want to service it themselves but you may be able
to convince them that you're not an idiot and can actually handle the
terribly technical task of pulling a chip out and pushing in another.

Good luck,

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu