[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Telling the MKS shell where to put pipe tempfiles

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (02/11/88)

In article <901@cblpe.ATT.COM> res@cblpe.ATT.COM (55216-Rob Stampfli) writes:
>In article <391@mks.UUCP> alex@mks.UUCP (Alex White) writes:
>>Dos:
>>	A runs to completion: data copied to RAM disk
>>	Switch to B: data copied from RAM disk to B
>>Now, with the assumption of a RAM disk, and one which is large enough
>>for your largest pipe [I have about a meg] can anyone think of any reason
>>that the dos method should be slower in terms of time-to-complete?
>>[Certainly not in terms of time-to-first-output].
>
>I would *love* to know how to tell DOS that I am using a RAM disk, but don't
>recall ever reading that this could be done.  At least for command.com.  Is
>there a way, or does the MKS shell, for that matter, have a way of being
>told where to put the interim files created during a piped operation?

I believe the MKS shell looks at an Environment variable $TMP (or maybe $TEMP,
I'm not sure) to determine where to write pipe temporaries.
What I used to do when I had a RAM disk is the following:

   /dos/join d: c:/tmp		# this is the DOS join command, not MKS's
   TEMP=c:/tmp ; export TEMP	# or TMP, don't recall - try both

By "join"ing the RAM disk to c:/tmp (which is the equivalent of a UNIX mount)
the RAM disk also gets used as the location of VI temporaries.

Hope this helps. Maybe one of the MKS people reading this group can point
out to us where in the Toolkit manual this is documented - I can't seem to
find it, but I remember using it, and that it worked.

Wolf Paul
wnp@dcs.UUCP
wnp@killer.UUCP