[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard Disk recommendations?

densha@acf8.UUCP (densha) (02/11/88)

Since my current hard drive is making loud screeching noises,
I am once again looking for a replacement 20MB drive for my IBM PC.
I know this subject must come up all too often on this group,
but what are the current recommendations for a cheap to medium priced
hard disk?
Main concern is reliability (i.e. lasts longer than a year),
but speed is nice too.
What drives are known problem makers?
How do drive cards compare to standard drives?
How about 3.5" vs. 5.25"?
Where does one get the best prices?

Vlad
lanin@csd2.nyu.edu
cmcl2!csd2!lanin

pcm@iwarpo3.intel.com (Phil C. Miller) (02/12/88)

In article <1510006@acf8.UUCP> densha@acf8.UUCP (densha) writes:

>Since my current hard drive is making loud screeching noises,
>I am once again looking for a replacement 20MB drive for my IBM PC.

    Before you plunge for another disk, consider the following.

    Last weekend, my disk started making some very disturbing noises.
    I hurriedly made backups, powered the PC down, and called the
    people from whom I purchased my PC.

    They calmed me down and explained that the noise came from the
    anti-static wiper on the bottom of the disk and that it was trivial
    to fix the problem.

    When I took in the disk (a CDC 42mB 23ms (?) drive), the technician
    flipped over the disk, removed the clear plastic protection cover
    (keeps the disk from getting AIDS), and carefully bent the
    anti-static wiper so as to increase the tension on it.

    We plugged in the disk to the nearest available system and voila,
    the noise had disappeared.  Have a technician take a look at your
    disk; they're too expensive to replace unless it's absolutely
    necessary.

>Vlad
>lanin@csd2.nyu.edu
>cmcl2!csd2!lanin

Phil Miller

schwalbe@encore.UUCP (02/12/88)

In article <1510006@acf8.UUCP> densha@acf8.UUCP (densha) writes:

>Since my current hard drive is making loud screeching noises,
>I am once again looking for a replacement 20MB drive for my IBM PC.

>Vlad
>lanin@csd2.nyu.edu
>cmcl2!csd2!lanin

Before you trash your hard drive, are you sure it's the bearings going and
not the static protection strip that's making the noise?  Many times, this
is the case.  To be sure, open the case and take out the drive.  Turn it
upside down and you'll see a metal strip touching a center pin on the drive.
Bend it slightly so that it is resting in a new position.  Now reassemble and
see if you still get the noise.  I did this a few times on an old drive of
mine.  It kept coming back after a few months until I finally cleaned the
contact point and applied a little WD-40 (silicone spray).  I haven't
heard another peep out of my drive since and its been quite a while.  If
you're sure it's the bearings then disregard this suggestion.

Hope this helps.

: Jim Schwalbe               .----------------. Mail: {linus,allegra,ihnp4} :
: Hardware Research Group .--+-------------.  |       !encore!schwalbe      :
: Encore Computer Corp.   |  | E N C O R E |  |                             :
: 257 Cedar Hill Street   |  `-------------+--' Phone: [617] 460-0500       :
: Marlborough, MA  01752  `----------------'                                :