[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Microsoft Word Formatting

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (02/09/88)

Have you found a solution to this annoying problem with Word?

Let's say you have a style sheet, and you have a style that specifies
a particular font and size (e.g. Times-Roman 10 pt.)  Now, you
accidentally change the formatting of a word within a paragraph to
be Times-Roman 14 pt.  Is there a way to force the font and size for
all characters within a paragraph to match the style of that paragraph,
without reformatting the 14 pt. word to 10 pt. individually?

I had a case where I had several different styles, some in 10 pt.
and some in 12 pt.  Somehow, I had managed to put some words in
10 pt. styled paragraphs into 12 pt., overriding the style for the
paragraph, and short of searching for the 12 pt. text, and altering
the text by hand, I was unable to find a way to do it.

Clayton E. Cramer

johnl@ima.ISC.COM (John R. Levine) (02/09/88)

In article <1921@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>...  Is there a way to force the font and size for
>all characters within a paragraph to match the style of that paragraph? ...

Yes, though the execrable Word manual is not enormously helpful if you want
to figure it out.  Select the whole paragraph, and then type ALT X SPACE.
which is the keyboard command for "normal character" formatting.  When you
have a paragraph format set, it uses the default format for the paragraph,
as desired.

Word is a great program, if only someone would explain how to use it.  It's
pretty pitiful that there are aftermarket newsletters that contain little
more than examples and techniques that should have been in the manual.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

unbent@ecsvax.UUCP (Jay F. Rosenberg) (02/10/88)

	Selecting the paragraph and using ALT X SPACE will indeed restore
style sheet default font name and font size, but it will also cancel any
underline, italic, bold, etc. formating in the selected paragraph.
	Better:  Select the paragraph.  Select character formatting (ESC F
C).  Tab through the menu to the font size field, selecting *neither* Yes
*nor* No for any of the other entries.  Type the desired size.  Hit ENTER.
	You can alter any piece of character formatting and leave the other
pieces alone by this method, for any part (or all) of a document.

JAY ROSENBERG     Dept. of Philosophy     UNC     Chapel Hill, NC   27599
...{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!unbent         ...tucc!tuccvm!ecsvax!unbent
   unbent@ecsvax.UUCP      unbent@ecsvax.BITNET      unbent@unc.BITNET
--

JAY ROSENBERG     Dept. of Philosophy     UNC     Chapel Hill, NC   27514

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (02/12/88)

In <877@ima.ISC.COM> johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) writes:
>In article <1921@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>>...  Is there a way to force the font and size for
>>all characters within a paragraph to match the style of that paragraph? ...
>
>Yes, though the execrable Word manual is not enormously helpful if you want
>to figure it out.  Select the whole paragraph, and then type ALT X SPACE.
>which is the keyboard command for "normal character" formatting.  When you
>have a paragraph format set, it uses the default format for the paragraph,
>as desired.

I think that this is almost true.  I believe that ALT X SPACE will set
all the characters to the default character format, not the default
format for the style.  Try ALT space instead.  Twice.  I don't know
why, but sometimes you have to do it twice.

Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
					      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
2440 Medary Avenue	   ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!mdf
Columbus, OH  43202-3014      Guest account at The Ohio State University