[comp.sys.ibm.pc] pipe files on ramdisk

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (02/12/88)

In article <901@cblpe.ATT.COM>, res@cblpe.ATT.COM (Rob Stampfli) writes:
> In article <391@mks.UUCP> alex@mks.UUCP (Alex White) writes:
> >Now, with the assumption of a RAM disk, and one which is large enough
> >for your largest pipe [I have about a meg] can anyone think of any reason
> >that the dos method should be slower in terms of time-to-complete?
>
> I would *love* to know how to tell DOS that I am using a RAM disk, but don't
> recall ever reading that this could be done.  At least for command.com.  Is
> there a way, or does the MKS shell, for that matter, have a way of being
> told where to put the interim files created during a piped operation?

Command.com seems to put pipe files in the current directory.  (I guess
it was written before DOS had subdirectories?)

The MKS Korn shell uses the /tmp directory, by default.  So, one
technique is to use the DOS join command to join the ramdisk, say drive
E:, to C:/tmp.  Or, by specifying the environment variable TMPDIR, the
shell (and other MKS utilities) will use any directory you want for
their temp files.

--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (02/12/88)

In article <394@mks.UUCP> wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) writes:
$ Command.com seems to put pipe files in the current directory.  (I guess
$ it was written before DOS had subdirectories?)
$
$ [...]

No, it puts them in the root directory of the current drive.

Tom Reingold                    INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research    UUCP:           rutgers!bellcore!tr
435 South St room 2L350         SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work]
Morristown, NJ 07960                            (201) 287-2345 [home]