[comp.sys.ibm.pc] compiling PROFF

guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP (visitors) (02/12/88)

Has anyone tried compiling the PROFF program (recently posted in Comp.binaries.
ibm.pc) with Turbo C?  There seems to be a problem with the remove function in
the lookup.c file (as well as the look.c file).  The following is what TC says
when compiling lookup.c.

     Wrong number of arguments in call of 'remove'

Is this happening with people with other compilers, or is this some stupid
quirk with TC?

| Mark Schaffer        | BITNET: 164485913@vuvaxcom                          |
| Villanova University | UUCP:   ...{ihnp4!psuvax1,burdvax,cbmvax,pyrnj,bpa} |
| (Go Wildcats!)       |           !vu-vlsi!excalibur!164485913              |

  please respond/reply to the above addresses and not to guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/12/88)

In article <1353@vu-vlsi.UUCP> 164485913@excalibur.UUCP (Mark Schaffer) writes:
>Has anyone tried compiling the PROFF program (recently posted in Comp.binaries.
>ibm.pc) with Turbo C?

I posted the source but I don't have an executable for PCs.  If
someone gets a working compile, I would appreciate it if they would
send me a uuencoded ARC or uuencoded version of the file.  I can
unpack virtually anything.  Thanx in advance,

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (02/13/88)

In article <1353@vu-vlsi.UUCP> 164485913@excalibur.UUCP (Mark Schaffer) writes:
> Has anyone tried compiling the PROFF program (recently posted in Comp.binaries.
> ibm.pc) with Turbo C?  There seems to be a problem with the remove function in
> the lookup.c file (as well as the look.c file).  The following is what TC says
> when compiling lookup.c.
>
>      Wrong number of arguments in call of 'remove'
>
> Is this happening with people with other compilers, or is this some stupid
> quirk with TC?

Both look.c and lookup.c contain functions called remove().  Unfortunately,
remove() is a common function that is contained in the TC libraries and is
defined in their stdio.h and io.h include files.  So TC thinks you are
implementing _its_ remove() function and complains when it doesn't see the
argument format _its_ remove() should have.

The easiest thing to do is rename the proff remove() functions (and their
one reference in pxxparse.c) to something else.  I did this and it all
compiled and linked just fine under MS C 4.0.  (For an ostensibly portable
product, it generated far more warnings than it should have, but, none the
less, worked fine on my system.)

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481