[comp.sys.ibm.pc] FORMATTING 720K on an XT clone

schmitz@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Thomas Schmitz) (02/11/88)

I recently posted a question about formatting 3.5-inch floppies at 720K
on an XT clone.  From the responses so far, I can see that I didn't
make the question as clear as I could have.  Here's another try,
hopefully better.

A friend of mine has a Toshiba 3.5-inch floppy drive installed on his
XT clone.  Using DRIVER.SYS, he is able to read and write disks on this
drive with both MS-DOS 3.2 and PC-DOS 3.3.  He can also format disks as
360K in this drive.

However, attempts to format at 720K fail in the following manner:  The
drive steps through its full range in 41 tracks and begins to bang.
(ASCII is insufficient for reproducing the noise as he repeated it to
me! :-)  He assumes that this banging would continue for the remainder
of the 80 tracks a 720K disk would have, though he aborted the format
before this would have completed.

He also tried the MS-DOS 3.2 DRIVPARM command with equal success.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

-- Tom Schmitz

ARPA:  schmitz@zeus.cs.umn.edu                 2111 21st Avenue South
UUCP:  ...!rutgers!umn-cs!schmitz              Minneapolis, MN  55404
CSNET: schmitz%zeus%umn-cs.arpa@relay.cs.net   (612) 340-1855

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (02/12/88)

I have a 3.5" 720K on my XT clone (put it there last fall) and I seem to
recall that FORMAT B: would produce but 360K (no banging).  I believe
I had to format it as F: (I have 2 HDs and a ramdisk for C:, D:, E:) to get
720K.  Actually, I now use PCTools formatter and that works on B: directly.
If you don't any detailed help, e-mail me and I'm check my system more
carefully.
--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

Jerry_Grynspan@ankh.UUCP (Jerry Grynspan) (02/13/88)

I have a similar setup. I have a 5.25 as drive A: A 3.5 as drive B:
and a 30meg as drive C:. Using driver.sys will result in the 3.5 being
treated as drive D: If he wishes to access drive B: as 720k, he shoul
"Assign b=d". Then he will be prompted to insert a disk in the drive

and it will function for reads and writes as it should. BUT formats
should be referred to drive D or there will be no success since DOS
will not format a "assigned" drive

---
 * Origin: Eye of Osiris [305-973-1947] ankh.UUCP or (Opus 1:369/6)
SEEN-BY: 369/6