[comp.sys.ibm.pc] RESET BUTTONS AND HARD DISKS

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (01/28/88)

In article <3505@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> dorin@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Stewart Johnson) writes:
>I am told that a hardware reset button is a good idea if one has a hard
>disk. Why?

Spinning up and down the hard disk shouldn't really be done all the
time.  A reset switch allows you to reset the processor without
powering down the whole system.  This saves wear and tear on the
drive.  (There can also be head considerations but this isn't
universal.)

>I always park the heads before turning the machine off. What is the danger
>of not doing so?

A lot of fear over parking the heads has to do with real old drives.
I had the (mis)fortune of being around once when someone powered down
an external drive attached to an old Rainbow without performing normal
shutdown procedures.  The heads slammed into the disk and made this
interesting noise that I'd appreciate never hearing again.

New drives don't usually exhibit this type of behavior.  A power down
isn't really good for the drive, but doesn't usually hurt anything.
If you fail to park the heads, they may be sitting over (on?) your
actual disk surface.  If the PC is moved around, it is possible to
damage the surface of the disk and therefore the data.  This is why
nearly every disk manufacturer recommends parking the disk before
moving your PC but very few recommend parking every time you turn off
the computer.  Usually it's only a problem if you're moving the thing.

Many new disks have automatic parking; when the power fails, the heads
retract to a "safe" place automatically.  You don't need a program to
do it for you.  Most of the 20-40Mb disks DO NOT do this, but quite a
few 70+Mb disks do.  Almost all disks that have this feature have it
documented somewhere (although I've seen disks that I know to be
self-parking come without any indication of this ability).

I almost never park the disk on PCs that I use because they're not
going to be moved.  But then again, I back them up all the time so it
really doesn't matter to me that much.  If you're worried about your
data, you should probably park it.  If you have any doubts about it,
just remember that it doesn't hurt anything to park the drive, it just
takes a little more time.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (01/28/88)

Re:  Head parking.

Create a command called "bye" on every system you use.  If it's a
mainframe, make "bye" an alias for "logout" or equivalent.  If it's a
PC, make it a batch file or CED synonym that parks your hard disk.

Once typing "bye" is a habit whenver you're done with computing,
you won't think twice about it.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

bobr@zeus.TEK.COM (Robert Reed) (01/30/88)

I can think of one practical reason while running e-mess-dos.  There have
been occasions where I have so bolixed up my system that the normal
control-shift-whatever to which the keyboard controller is supposed to
listen will not reboot the machine.  Without a reset button, I am forced to
cycle power to boot the system, which cannot be good for the disk.
--
Robert Reed, Tektronix CAE Systems Division, bobr@zeus.TEK

glz5913@ritcv.UUCP (01/30/88)

In article <3073@zeus.TEK.COM> bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) writes:

>... Without a reset button, I am forced to
>cycle power to boot the system, which cannot be good for the disk.
>--
>Robert Reed, Tektronix CAE Systems Division, bobr@zeus.TEK

Turn off the machine, wait 5-10 seconds (or until the drive stops) and
then turn on the computer.  Incidentally, a lot of clones have the plug
(towards the back of the motherboard) for a momentary contact switch.
If you have the technical manual for the motherboard, it should show
where it is.

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (01/31/88)

For those not interested in hacking their machines, Irata - Reset
(2562 E. Glade, Mesa, Az., 85204, 602 926 7969; $24.95 + $2 ship)
was easy to install in my IBM-PC.  I merely unplugged a cable from
my power supply, plugged in the reset switch cable, and plugged in
the original cable in piggy back, per their reasonably clear
instructions.  They offer several suggestions about where to locate
the button, and provide a drilled slot blank if you have an extra.
I didn't, and chose to drill a hole in the bracket of the hard disk
controller (after temporarily disconnecting the bracket, naturally).
It works fine, and I've been able to avoid the big red switch.

However, I'm surprised that no manufacturer of OEM or after-market
power supply has seen fit to include a small reset button (suitably
guarded from accidental contact) integrated with it.

Disclaimer: No connection with Irata; just happy to have their con-
venient product.

Michael Volow, M.D.
Dept of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, N.C. 27705
919 286 0411                           mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP (visitors) (02/01/88)

In article <139@ritcv.UUCP> glz5913@ritcv.UUCP (Gary L. Zeiger) writes:
>In article <3073@zeus.TEK.COM> bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) writes:
>>
>>... Without a reset button, I am forced to
>>cycle power to boot the system, which cannot be good for the disk.
>>--
>>Robert Reed, Tektronix CAE Systems Division, bobr@zeus.TEK
>
>Turn off the machine, wait 5-10 seconds (or until the drive stops) and
>then turn on the computer.

I hope everyone does this when they power down to reset their system, but does
not reduce the worst part of the wear and tear on the disk (the starting up).

>Incidentally, a lot of clones have the plug
>(towards the back of the motherboard) for a momentary contact switch.
>If you have the technical manual for the motherboard, it should show
>where it is.

Now, if IBM could only follow this bit of wisdom!

| Mark Schaffer        | BITNET: 164485913@vuvaxcom                          |
| Villanova University | UUCP:   ...{ihnp4!psuvax1,burdvax,cbmvax,pyrnj,bpa} |
| (Go Wildcats!)       |           !vu-vlsi!excalibur!164485913              |

  please respond/reply to the above addresses and not to guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP

neese@cpedev.UUCP (02/02/88)

>I am told that a hardware reset button is a good idea if one has a hard
>disk. Why?

Beats me, other than it keeps you from powering down the system in the
advent of a crash.  This keeps the power supply from taking the
completely unneccessary power hit from the drive on power-up.

>I always park the heads before turning the machine off. What is the danger
>of not doing so?

Most drives will automatically park thier heads when power is removed.
Although the cheaper drives do not.  If you intend on moving the system,
then you better park the heads.  This is just a safe thing to do.  More
often than not you will be okay, but the penalty for not doing it is
a complete loss of data.  Not the best thing in the world to happen.

>I have an IBM PC and a Seagate ST238 hard disk.
>Thank you in advance for your help.

Park this beast before moving or anything else.

						Roy Neese
					UUCP @	ihnp4!sys1!cpe!neese

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (02/03/88)

In article <139@ritcv.UUCP> glz5913@ritcv.UUCP (Gary L. Zeiger) writes:

>Turn off the machine, wait 5-10 seconds (or until the drive stops) and
>then turn on the computer.  Incidentally, a lot of clones have the plug
>(towards the back of the motherboard) for a momentary contact switch.
>If you have the technical manual for the motherboard, it should show
>where it is.

I've built lots of systems and installed the reset switch by putting
a momentary-closure button wired between the "Power Good" wire and
ground.  The "Power Good" line is, in the AT and 386AT Clones I
built, the first wire in the motherboard power connector, closest to
the rear-panel of the machine.

	"Your mileage may vary. The check is in the mail. I'm
from the government and I'm here to help you. Don't worry, it's only
a cold sore. Of course I'll still respect you in the morning. Yes, I'm
divorced. No, my wife never comes home from her meeting this early.
Yes, OS/2 will solve all your problems. No, I won't co.." Well, you
get the picture: I'm not responsible if you injure yourself, anyone
or anything else with this information.

keith

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/08/88)

>>I am told that a hardware reset button is a good idea if one has a hard
>>disk. Why?

Because it allows you to do a complete cold boot without powering down
the disk drive.  If the disk is powered down, and it doesn't have auto-
parking (as most smaller disks do not), then the heads land wherever
they happen to be.  This will most likely not be a problem, but it could
be - you could lose data.  The reset button will allow the heads to keep
flying, thus never touching the surface, thus preventing this type of
data lossage.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/11/88)

In article <662@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>>>I am told that a hardware reset button is a good idea if one has a hard
>>>disk. Why?
>
>Because it allows you to do a complete cold boot without powering down
>the disk drive.  If the disk is powered down, and it doesn't have auto-
>parking (as most smaller disks do not), then the heads land wherever
>they happen to be.  This will most likely not be a problem, but it could
>be - you could lose data.  The reset button will allow the heads to keep
>flying, thus never touching the surface, thus preventing this type of
>data lossage.

This isn't necessarily true.  In all but the cheapest (and the very
very expensive) drives, the heads will not touch the surface of the
disk unless the disk is moves (relatively) violently.  This is why you
usually need to park the heads only when you move the drive.  Think of
it this way: drives take several seconds to spin down.  If the heads
were only electronically suspended, they would lose suspension far
before the drive stopped spinning.  The heads would scrape across the
surface of the disk, damaging both the heads and the disk, until the
disk came to a full stop.  Trust me, you'd hear it.

I recall a time back in the CP/M days when a drive that just dropped
the heads was turned off before doing a power down sequence.  The
noise that that thing made was enough to make anyone cry.

The best reason for the reset switch is that the drive doesn't
have to be spun up again.  Spin up is the most strenuous time for a
drive and also for the computer's power supply, and it is best to
avoid doing it more than necessary.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

dbraun@cadev4.intel.com (Doug Braun ~) (02/12/88)

In article <19824@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:

>This isn't necessarily true.  In all but the cheapest (and the very
>very expensive) drives, the heads will not touch the surface of the
>disk unless the disk is moves (relatively) violently.  This is why you
>usually need to park the heads only when you move the drive.  Think of
>it this way: drives take several seconds to spin down.  If the heads
>were only electronically suspended, they would lose suspension far
>before the drive stopped spinning.  The heads would scrape across the
>surface of the disk, damaging both the heads and the disk, until the
>disk came to a full stop.  Trust me, you'd hear it.
>
>I recall a time back in the CP/M days when a drive that just dropped
>the heads was turned off before doing a power down sequence.  The
>noise that that thing made was enough to make anyone cry.

This portion of his reply is incorrect.  The heads are suspended
by the air stream caused by the rotating disk.  The heads are literally
"flying" or "planing" above the disk.  This has nothing to
do with anything electronic.  Winchesters usually have a tiny bit of
lubricant on the disks to protect the heads when they do land
as the drive stops spinning.  More expensive drives will actually
physically push the heads away from the disk at power-off,
thus making the drive very shock-resistant when turned off.
Other drives will move the heads to an unused area of the disk
(the "landing zone") at power-off.  The cheaper stepper-motor drives
(which includes almost ALL <=20meg drives used with XT's, including
the popular Seagate ST-238 and its brethren) just die when the power
goes off, and the heads land where they may.  On these you have to
explicitly park the heads before power-off.

The noise mentioned above is undoubtedly due to a mechanical brake
that stops the rotating disks ASAP after power-off.  Some drives
have a brake with a little solenoid pulls the brake pad away
from the motor rotor when power is applied.  Other drives use a relay
to short out the motor coils when power is removed, electrically
braking the motor.

Take apart a few of these beasties, and you'll know what's
REALLY going on.

Doug Braun				Intel Corp CAD
					408 496-5939

 / decwrl \
 | hplabs |
-| oliveb |- !intelca!mipos3!cadev4!dbraun
 | amd    |
 \ qantel /

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Bob, Mon) (02/12/88)

[Discussion:  Why does a harddisk want a reset button?]

In article <19824@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:

>The best reason for the reset switch is that the drive doesn't
>have to be spun up again.  Spin up is the most strenuous time for a
>drive and also for the computer's power supply, and it is best to
>avoid doing it more than necessary.

Turning the power supply off or on also induces momentary power surges in
the chips themselves.  These power surges in turn cause electrical and
thermal stress in the chips; i.e., the chips "age".  This might be worth
doing a few times on new chips, to catch any that are going to suffer
"infant mortality" anyway.  Ordinarily, though, the circuits will last longer
if they're constantly powered than if they're turned on and off a lot.
(Naturally, they'll also last a long time if you NEVER power them up....:-)

--
You TOO Can Defeat The 4-Line .signature Limit And Be Obnoxious To Your Friends And Neighbours!!!!!								...---...									Charles Cabbage on the Difference Engine running SE grade 10W40 at UKnoWhere	Babble@diffEQ	bob,mon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu	Chucky on Ada	The Slide Rules!"Spaceship Earth!  There IS no substitute!"

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/12/88)

In article <19824@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>This isn't necessarily true.  In all but the cheapest (and the very
>very expensive) drives, the heads will not touch the surface of the
>disk unless the disk is moves (relatively) violently.  This is why you
>usually need to park the heads only when you move the drive.

This isn't true.  One of the things that was added to drives with the
advent of Winchester technology was heads which can be landed on the
disk during a power-down.  With the exception of only those drives
which physically retract and lock the heads on power-down, ALL Winchester
drives land the heads on the media itself when the disk stops spinning,
and their design ensures that damage is minimal.  You park the heads
specifically to allow them to land on an area of the disk which does
not have data written on it, rather than taking the small chance of
damage.

>If the heads were only electronically suspended, they would lose suspension
>far before the drive stopped spinning.  The heads would scrape across the
>surface of the disk, damaging both the heads and the disk, until the
>disk came to a full stop.  Trust me, you'd hear it.

Nope.  The heads are aerodynamically suspended - they ride on a cushion
of air that is formed as the disks spin.  When the disks spin down, the
cushion disappears, and the heads DO land on the disk.  Their design,
however, is such that the damage to the head, and the disk, is minimal.
More expensive drives, like the Priam V70, actually retract the heads
before they land, but this is NOT the norm for inexpensive disks.

>I recall a time back in the CP/M days when a drive that just dropped
>the heads was turned off before doing a power down sequence.  The
>noise that that thing made was enough to make anyone cry.

Older disk drives were not designed to allow the heads to land - a
head crash was literally that, and usually destroyed heads and disks.
There is, or was, a pretty lucrative industry which specialized in
supplying replacement head assemblys.

--

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/12/88)

In article <1691@mipos3.intel.com> dbraun@cadev4.UUCP (Doug Braun ~) writes:
>In article <19824@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>>I recall a time back in the CP/M days when a drive that just dropped
>>the heads was turned off before doing a power down sequence.  The
>>noise that that thing made was enough to make anyone cry.

>The noise mentioned above is undoubtedly due to a mechanical brake
>that stops the rotating disks ASAP after power-off.  Some drives
>have a brake with a little solenoid pulls the brake pad away
>from the motor rotor when power is applied.  Other drives use a relay
>to short out the motor coils when power is removed, electrically
>braking the motor.

The noise I mentioned was of the heads destroying the surface of the
disk.  The drive was destroyed, a cost of several thousand dollars at
the time, not to mention the loss of data.

As for whether or not the drive heads actually touch the disk, I
suppose you're right that they do on cheap drives, but the only drives
I've worked on that appeared to do this were really old drives on an
AT.  They made an obvious "clunk" during spin down that always made me
jitter.  But recently I've been working with drives of 80 meg and
up....

>Take apart a few of these beasties, and you'll know what's
>REALLY going on.

I liked it better when they encased drives in clear plastic so you
could watch 'em run.

Cheers,

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (02/13/88)

>>Because it allows you to do a complete cold boot without powering down
>>the disk drive.  If the disk is powered down, and it doesn't have auto-
>>parking (as most smaller disks do not), then the heads land wherever
>>they happen to be.  This will most likely not be a problem, but it could
>>be - you could lose data.  The reset button will allow the heads to keep
>>flying, thus never touching the surface, thus preventing this type of
>>data lossage.
>
>This isn't necessarily true.  In all but the cheapest (and the very
>very expensive) drives, the heads will not touch the surface of the
>disk unless the disk is moves (relatively) violently.  This is why you
>usually need to park the heads only when you move the drive.  Think of
>it this way: drives take several seconds to spin down.  If the heads
>were only electronically suspended, they would lose suspension far
>before the drive stopped spinning.  The heads would scrape across the
>surface of the disk, damaging both the heads and the disk, until the
>disk came to a full stop.  Trust me, you'd hear it.

Excuse me?  Electronically suspended?  From other postings, I assume
that Jim knows how disks work, but perhaps some clarification is in
order here for those who really are curious why a reset button is
desirable.

The heads in Winchester drives are designed to rest on the disk surface
when the power is off.  When the disk is spinning, the heads are
suspended aerodynamically in the wind that is dragged along by the
platters.  Due to the Bernoulli effect, the heads approach the disk
surface very closely, but do not touch it.  When the drive is in the
process of spinning up or down, there is a period of time when there is
not enough wind to keep the heads flying.  During this time, the heads
slide on the surface of the platters.  Parking the heads moves them over
an area of the disk that doesn't have data on it.  Parking is advised
before a move because a shock can cause the heads to *bounce* on the
disk surface, resulting in loss of data.  Some early drives (like my
5.5M Shugart) land a little roughly on power down, and need to be parked
each time.  But by the time the XT came out, the drive makers had
figured out how to build drives that could be safely shut off without
parking.  Many of the drives that have come along since automatically
park the heads on power-off.  So, for just about any drive you're likely
to see in a PC-class machine, you generally won't lose data if you turn
the power off.

>I recall a time back in the CP/M days when a drive that just dropped
>the heads was turned off before doing a power down sequence.  The
>noise that that thing made was enough to make anyone cry.

Sounds like a wonderful drive!  It has a head crash if you don't power
it down just right?  What kind of drive was that?  (I'm really curious.
I toyed with the idea of hacking a hard disk into my old CP/M system,
but never had the cash.)

>The best reason for the reset switch is that the drive doesn't
>have to be spun up again.  Spin up is the most strenuous time for a
>drive and also for the computer's power supply, and it is best to
>avoid doing it more than necessary.

THIS is  why a reset button is a nice thing to have!

>jim frost
>madd@bu-it.bu.edu

Paul

Paul L. Allen                       | paula@boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!paula