[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Wanted VGA and monitor recommendations

c60c-5ai@web4g.berkeley.edu (Kenneth Kindsfater) (02/10/88)

I would like some help in which VGA board and monitor to buy. I am
especially interested in the Video7 VEGA VGA and the Paradise VGA and
VGA professional.  In monitors I am interested in the NEC Multisync
Plus and the Princeton Ultrasync (they have 800x600 which I think will
be important soon.)

Please mail me if you have any experiece with the above or any
recommendations for items about in the above price range.
			Thanks beforehand
			Ken Kindsfater

croft@spked.UUCP (Steve Croft) (02/12/88)

In article <6933@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, c60c-5ai@web4g.berkeley.edu (Kenneth Kindsfater) writes:
> I would like some help in which VGA board and monitor to buy. I am
> especially interested in the Video7 VEGA VGA and the Paradise VGA and
> VGA professional.  In monitors I am interested in the NEC Multisync
> Plus and the Princeton Ultrasync (they have 800x600 which I think will
> be important soon.)

I have the VEGA VGA board with a Sony 1302 and am having problems with
that combo.  I am only getting 8 colors, when I should be getting 16 (at
the high res).  Some suggestions that VEGA made didn't work and they are
sending out the newest version of their BIOS for me.  We'll see.

Also, VEGA is supposedly writing drivers (still) for Windows/386
(Windows/386 requires direct access to the VGA registers, which VEGA doesn't
completely clone).  Until they get that driver written, Windows/386 won't
run on the VEGA!  I don't know if this problem applies to Windows 2.0.

VEGA's seconde generation VGA card is due out soon (with extended graphics,
I believe).  You might wanna wait till then, or have faith that VEGA will
correct their probs with their current VGA (they do promise your money back
if they can't get your software to work on their card).

That's it, that's all.
sc

jallen@netxcom.UUCP (John Allen) (02/13/88)

In article <165@spked.UUCP> croft@spked.UUCP (Steve Croft) writes:
>In article <6933@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, c60c-5ai@web4g.berkeley.edu (Kenneth Kindsfater) writes:
>> I would like some help in which VGA board and monitor to buy. I am
>> especially interested in the Video7 VEGA VGA and the Paradise VGA and
>> VGA professional.  In monitors I am interested in the NEC Multisync
>> Plus and the Princeton Ultrasync (they have 800x600 which I think will
>> be important soon.)
>
>I have the VEGA VGA board with a Sony 1302 and am having problems with
>that combo.  I am only getting 8 colors, when I should be getting 16 (at
>the high res).  Some suggestions that VEGA made didn't work and they are
>sending out the newest version of their BIOS for me.  We'll see.

If you're talking about colors available in Windows, the problem is with
Windows, not the VGA.  For some reason (anyone know what?) Windows will
not manipulate the intensity bit in TTL mode.  As far as I know, noone
has written Windows drivers for the VGA analog modes yet.

>Also, VEGA is supposedly writing drivers (still) for Windows/386
>(Windows/386 requires direct access to the VGA registers, which VEGA doesn't
>completely clone).  Until they get that driver written, Windows/386 won't
>run on the VEGA!  I don't know if this problem applies to Windows 2.0.

This is interesting.  We have some Everex EVGAs ($245 each) which run
under Windows 1.X at up to 800X600, and also run under Windows 2.0 and
Windows 386 using the VGA drivers that come with Windows (640X480).
BTW, we run these on NEC Multisync and Multisync XL monitors.

John Allen
NetExpress Communications, Inc.      uunet!netxcom!jallen
1953 Gallows Road, Suite 300         (703) 749-2238
Vienna, Va., 22180

croft@spked.UUCP (Steve Croft) (02/14/88)

In article <662@netxcom.UUCP>, jallen@netxcom.UUCP (John Allen) replied:
> If you're talking about colors available in Windows, the problem is with
> Windows, not the VGA.  For some reason (anyone know what?) Windows will
> not manipulate the intensity bit in TTL mode.  As far as I know, noone
> has written Windows drivers for the VGA analog modes yet.

No, not talkin' 'bout Windows.. this is with any software (including the VEGA
VGA diagnostics).

I also wrote:
>Also, VEGA is supposedly writing drivers (still) for Windows/386
>(Windows/386 requires direct access to the VGA registers, which VEGA doesn't
>completely clone).  Until they get that driver written, Windows/386 won't
>run on the VEGA!  I don't know if this problem applies to Windows 2.0.

and the reply:
> This is interesting.  We have some Everex EVGAs ($245 each) which run
> under Windows 1.X at up to 800X600, and also run under Windows 2.0 and
> Windows 386 using the VGA drivers that come with Windows (640X480).
> BTW, we run these on NEC Multisync and Multisync XL monitors.

You imply that the problem might not be with the VEGA VGA card.  But it is a
documented bug and there is a business reply card that comes with the board
that you can send in to request the drivers when they have completed them.

Anyway, just clearing up any confusion that might have arisen...

steve