[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS-DOS Fortran compiler

louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) (02/03/88)

I am posting this for a student who needs a cheap but useable
Fortran 77 compiler for an IBM clone.  She could pay up to $100.00.
Less would be better.  Speed isn't needed.  She needs it for a course
she is doing at a remote location.

--

Louis Schmittroth		           My employer has no opinions.
Computer Science

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (02/09/88)

In article <515@auvax.UUCP>, louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) writes:
> I am posting this for a student who needs a cheap but useable
> Fortran 77 compiler for an IBM clone.  She could pay up to $100.00.
> Less would be better.  Speed isn't needed.  She needs it for a course
> she is doing at a remote location.
>
> --
>
> Louis Schmittroth		           My employer has no opinions.
> Computer Science
> Athabasca University   ...{ubc-vision, ihnp4}!alberta!auvax!louis

Try Lahey Personal F77L (I think that's what it is called) and it sells
for US99.00!! (Last I heard anyways). It is supposingly a subset of the
big brother Lahey F77L which is a full-blown Fortran-77 with many
(VMS-like) extensions. It compiles fast, executation speed is not bad
either; good error messages. The only trouble (difference bettwen it and
its brother) is that you are limited to 64K arrays.

Peter/
Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-8528

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, I'm only a physicist.
            Don't quote me on anything! I speak only for myself.

Opus: "Why, fer cryin' out loud..research physicists need Porsches, TOO!!"

						 -- Bloom County

btb@ncoast.UUCP (Brad Banko) (02/13/88)

i have been looking into a fortran77 compiler from:

		pecan software
		1410 39th street
		brooklyn, ny  11218
		1-800-63-PECAN

pecan makes ucsd pascal, f77, modula2 and basic language systems for
a variety of machines, and they also support a common graphics interface
(turtlegraphics) in each language, across machines... $100 bucks gets you
f77, turtlegraphics, and their "power system" environment, which is
apparently based on the "ucsd pascal" environment.  so, far, the package
i have been using lives up to its name, but one small warning... it
runs its own file system on top of msdos with a fully supported gateway to
the msdos file system, AND the capability to create stand alone applications.

			cheers,

--
			Brad Banko
			Columbus, Ohio

"The only thing we have to fear on this planet is man."
			-- Carl Jung, 1875-1961

cwwj@ur-tut.UUCP (Clarence Wilkerson) (02/15/88)

There is currently no version with floating point
emulation.