[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hub ring on HD floppies

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (12/05/87)

   I realize this has probably been hashed out before but I have been asked
this so many times recently I just must ask it myself:

   Why don't HD (1.2MB) floppy diskettes have hub reinforcment rings
like the 360K ones do ? I have disks around here from about 6 or so
different vendors and notice the same on all. Thanks.

					John, WA3WBU
--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) (12/07/87)

In article <415@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>   Why don't HD (1.2MB) floppy diskettes have hub reinforcment rings
>like the 360K ones do ?....
    	I would think one reason could be the need to distinguish
one from the other !! If both HD and 360K floppies had hub rings
we would not know one from the other !
--
-I said so... & said it for myself.             Indra K. Singhal
{ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!indra or amdcad!indra@decwrl.dec.com

howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) (12/08/87)

In article <415@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>    Why don't HD (1.2MB) floppy diskettes have hub reinforcment rings
> like the 360K ones do ? I have disks around here from about 6 or so
> different vendors and notice the same on all. Thanks.
>
> 					John, WA3WBU

  Hello John,
 Now that is a good question, I would really like to know that myself!!
I too have bought disks from several different manufactures (in an attempt
to get some with hub rings), but as of this date I have never been able to
any high-density disks with hub rings. So if anybody has the answer to this
rather unusual question, please post it to this group...

						Sincearly,
						Howard Leadmon  (WB3FFV)
						cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!howardl
						(301)-335-2206

WS5@PSUVM.BITNET (12/17/87)

alignment is much more critical than for standard floppies, and it seems
that the reinforcing ring tends to cause head tracking problems with these
disks, so the manufacturers don't use the ring on the disks.

    I read that explanation somewhere a while back, and unfortunately don't
remember where.  Anyway, it seems plausible to me.

dorin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Stewart Johnson) (12/17/87)

This is my first attempt at posting, forgive me if I mess it up.

Here's my guess: The old full-height black faced ibm floppy drive has a hub
engagement mechanism that is a real monster masher. Bad design. Even with
hub reinforcement rings it has tweeked alot of precious floppies. Later
models, such as the half-height HD models, have a much smoother hub engagement
mechanism, thereby (supposedly) eliminating the need for a reinforcement ring.
I could be wrong.

Now I have a question: I know that hard drives use heavy energy and give
off bunches of heat. But WHERE do they give off the heat FROM, the disk unit
or the controller? I would guess it is the disk unit, but if so then WHY
on all the PC/XT's is the hard drive on the right where it will experience
less efficient cooling?

dorin@mathvax.msi.cornell.edu
Stewart Johnson                                "Back Off--I'm a Scientist"
P.O. Box 492
Ithaca,N.Y. 14851

cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (Jeff T. Segawa) (12/18/87)

In article <3209@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> dorin@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Stewart Johnson) writes:

>Here's my guess: The old full-height black faced ibm floppy drive has a hub
>engagement mechanism that is a real monster masher. Bad design. Even with
>hub reinforcement rings it has tweeked alot of precious floppies.

I didn't catch the beginning of this dicussion, but is anyone trying
to use high density floppies in an old 360K drive? (the H.D. floppies
I've seen do not use the reinforcing ring). If so, I'm not surprised if
you're seeing lot of "Error reading drive A: Abort, Retry, Ignore?"
messages. Not only will some of those drives chew up the center of the
disk, but I don't think the magnetic media itself can be written to
reliably w/anything but a high density drive. I figured this out after
a few frustrating hours.

>Now I have a question: I know that hard drives use heavy energy and give
>off bunches of heat. But WHERE do they give off the heat FROM, the disk unit
>or the controller?

Can't say for sure in the case of an IBM, but with my Mac II, the entire
cast aluminum structure of the Seagate drive gets warm. Can't find any
especially hot spot, though. None of the chips on the motherboard
(including the SCSI chip) seems to get more than slightly warm, either.
I also used to have a SCSI card for IBMs, and I don't recall seeing any
of the parts heavily heatsinked, so I'd suspect that the drive itself is
the biggest source of heat, at least in SCSI systems.

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (12/20/87)

In article <3209@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, dorin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Stewart Johnson) writes:
> Here's my guess: The old full-height black faced ibm floppy drive has a hub
> engagement mechanism that is a real monster masher. Bad design. Even with

     I received several replies to my inital question. The biggest opinion
seemed to be that the HD floppies have no hub-ring so you can tell them from
360K floppies in bulk form. I'll admit, it'd be pretty hard to tell the
difference without trying to format them. I had remembered reading something
a while back about the HD drives being sensitive to hub configurations. But
then again, you can put 360K floppies in a HD drive to read them and it doenst
appear to cause the drive any harm. So I guess I can beleive that it's to
tell them apart. Anyone with conflicting stories ? :-)

> Now I have a question: I know that hard drives use heavy energy and give
> off bunches of heat. But WHERE do they give off the heat FROM, the disk unit

     The controller gives off a very insignificant amount of heat. The
majority of the heat comes from the disk drive itself. If you've ever taken
your machine apart after having it run for many hours or a day (XT variety)
you'd notice the hard disk drive is *very* warm. This is the reason that its
recommended a dual hard disk XT have the drives side-by-side. I beleive it
is normal for the hard disk to run warm. I've noticed the same thing on
hard disks in mini's and mainframes. They must have adaquate ventilation
though. This is also the reason that its important you let a new driver
"warm up" a bit before doing a low-level format to allow its temperature
to stabilize. Lets face it, the XT doesnt have the greatest cooling system.
I used to notice mine getting quite warm on top after several hours operation.
I do not notice the same on my AT, the AT has a much better air-flow and
stays *much* cooler. TO get back at the original question ( :-)) the
heat within the hard disk module comes from the positioning motor and sindle
motor.

				John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET
Marysville, PA 17053             |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/21/87)

The coercivity of the magnetic material on HD floppies is greater
than the material used for 360K diskettes.  The above fact prevents
a 360K drive from writing on them.

The situation is analogous to trying to record on a metal cassette
tape in a standard tape recorder.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't explain why HD disks don't have hub
rings!!

--Bill

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (12/29/87)

:Unfortunately, it still doesn't explain why HD disks don't have hub
:rings!!
:

Every HD drive I have seen has an "anti-scruntch" feature that spins
the hub when a diskette is inserted.  This alleviates the need for a
strong (i.e., reinforced) center hole in the diskette.

Two caveats:  1) Make sure the computer is powered up before inserting the
diskette.  2) SLOWLY turn the lever to lock the diskette in the drive,
give it a chance to get up to speed and seat the diskette.

Failure to observe the above cautions has damaged the center hole,
sometimes rendering the diskette unreadable.  Scruntching diskettes
is the DOS analogue to Unix rm -rf /.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf  Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V Northwest Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231  VOICE:503-621-3406:VOICE
    TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746 19200/2400/1200  CIS:70007,2304  Genie:CAF
  omen Any ACU 2400 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
  omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly

P.S.: I have seen a few HD diskettes with hub rings.  Conroy-LaPointe
used to sell them.

tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) (02/16/88)

Well, the *real* reason (according to Inmac) is that the reinforcing ring does
indeed disturb the disk alignment slightly (a price worth paying on a low
density disk drive that chews floppies), which is not acceptable on HD drives.

Tim