[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Formatting 720K/ERSO BIOS

dpz@athos.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman) (02/16/88)

In article <207@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:

> I have a 3.5" 720K on my XT clone (put it there last fall) and I seem to
> recall that FORMAT B: would produce but 360K (no banging).  I believe
> I had to format it as F: (I have 2 HDs and a ramdisk for C:, D:, E:) to get
> 720K.  Actually, I now use PCTools formatter and that works on B: directly.

I wonder if a different BIOS might help.  I've got an Ultra-Comp 10MHz
XT clone with only a single 3.5" drive, and am having the same problem
as you.  FORMAT A: (or B:, doesn't matter) produces the most wonderful
360K disk with no banging, but nothing more.  I can even get a 180K
disk if I ask nicely (with the /1 option).  I am also running with
an ERSO BIOS, version 2.39 of 1986.  This is REAL fishy to me, noting
previous comments about funky behavior using "old" versions of ERSO,
and I begin to wonder if mine is "new" or "old", and if switchng to
another version (or brand) might help things.
--
David P. Zimmerman, Rutgers University Center for Computer and Info Services
Internet: dpz@rutgers.edu     UUCP: rutgers!dpz     Bitnet: zimmerman@zodiac