[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Mulsisync monitors and VGA boards

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (01/30/88)

I'm going to make the jump to VGA (oh, boy!!) with my XT clone and would
like to ask the net's help.

First, the board.  I was really looking at Paradise (because the VGA
compatability is in the registers and NOT in the BIOS) but Paradise just
recalled ALL of their VGA boards (something about the FCC) and are giving a
new shipping date of somewhere between the last of February and May.  Any
ideas out there??

OK, now for the bucko's.  Multisync monitors.  NEC Multisync II, Mitsubishi
DiamondScan, Princeton Graphics Ultrasync plus a miriad of others.  What do
you think?  Which one is the best?  Zenith's may be a little out of my range.

Help!  I would appreciate ANY input.  Flames to /dev/null.

Phil Ritzenthaler			|USnail: University Computer Services
Computer Graphics Research Consultant   |        241 Math-Science Bldg.
UUCP :.!cbosgd!osu-cis!bgsuvax!ritzenth |        Bowling Green State University
CSNET: ritzenth@bgsu.edu                |        Bowling Green, OH   43403-0125
ARPA : ritzenth%bgsu.edu@relay.cs.net   | Phone: (419) 372-2102

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (02/13/88)

You can get a VGA cable that works with the original multisync
monitor from NEC.  Other makers have simialar adapter cables.

I just got off the phone with one of the engineers at STB systems.
They expect to have their register compatible VGA board on dealer
shelves some time next month.  (Apparently no problem with FCC.)
The current version of the STB board isn't IBM register-compatible,
but is BIOS compatible.  The STB VGA-Extra does work with most
available software, but notably not yet with Windows 2 or Windows
'386.

The engineer mentioned that current owners of the VGA extra should
be able to trade up to the new model for $100 - $150.  Not exactly
cheap, but then they could have just said "...too bad."

--Bill

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (02/13/88)

[someone wants to upgrade to VGA]

Judging from the reviews in PC magazine, might it not be a little to
early to obtain dependable VGA emulation boards in non-IBM machines?
If it were me I'd wait until the second generation of boards, and
maybe the second generation of monitors too.  They can only get less
expensive and less buggy.

Michael Volow, M.D.
Dept of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, N.C. 27705
919 286 0411                           mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (02/16/88)

In article <4602@ecsvax.UUCP>, mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) writes:
> Judging from the reviews in PC magazine, might it not be a little to
> early to obtain dependable VGA emulation boards in non-IBM machines?

The review you mention has to be one of the poorest reviews I have seen PC
Magazine do.  Yes, they were thorough with the boards they did, but seeing the
ads in the same mag as the review, they missed a few boards!

I don't know if the review was done a long time ago (months) or what, but I was
extremely disappointed with the number of boards they reviewed.