[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM EGA problems

kfk9673@ritcv.UUCP (Karl Kingston) (02/14/88)

Hi Everybody.....

    I have 2 problems with my EGA setup.

1)  When I start up my EGA in Enhanced Color Mode, the 1st character is
    reversed, blown to double width.  The 2nd character is 1/2 it's size
    and all other characters are normal.  In Normal Color Mode, the EGA
    monitor works fine.  I am under the impression that the raster guns are
    "bouncing" off the side of the tube.  Is there a way to overcome this
    problem by either adjusting the hardware or running a program that will
    shift the screen over.  The board is 100% IBM as well as the monitor.
    Also, the EGA card is fully populated with 256K.

2)  This is rather strange.  In addition to the EGA card, I also have the
    IBM Monochrome and Printer Adapter card(along with an IBM Monochrome
    display).  Now, if I set the dips on the EGA card so that the Monochrome
    Adapter is the primary adapter, some programs (AQUAEGA.ARC for one) crash
    since they don't seem to recognize the EGA card.  But.. if I set the dips
    so that the EGA is the primary adapter, everything works.  Any ideas
    as to what is happening here?

Any info would be *GREATLY* appreciated.

Thanks..
Karl Kingston

Karl Kingston

UUCP:  ..!rochester!ritcv!kfk9673
BITNET:  KFK9673@RITVAX

gmd1@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Doughty) (02/16/88)

In article <207@ritcv.UUCP>, kfk9673@ritcv.UUCP (Karl Kingston) writes:
> Hi Everybody.....
>
>     I have 2 problems with my EGA setup.
>
> 1)  When I start up my EGA in Enhanced Color Mode, the 1st character is
>     reversed, blown to double width.  The 2nd character is 1/2 it's size
>     and all other characters are normal.  In Normal Color Mode, the EGA
>     monitor works fine.  I am under the impression that the raster guns are
>     "bouncing" off the side of the tube.  ...
>
>	<second question omitted since I don't know answer>
>
> Any info would be *GREATLY* appreciated.
>
> Thanks..
> Karl Kingston

No, the raster guns are not bouncing.  The problem is that the board
begins to display the characters while the monitor is still moving
the beams back to the left side of the screen (call horizontal retrace).
Since this horizontal retrace is right to left, any characters displayed
at this time will be reversed.  Also, the horizontal retrace is much
faster that the left to right motion.  Hence any characters displayed
during this time will also be bigger.  With regard to the second
character, the beams appear to have just barely reversed direction at
that point and are not yet scanning at the normal speed.

Assuming the monitor has some adjustments you could try tweeking
the horizontal hold or horizontal size to see if that will resolve
the problem.  I would stay away from any horizontal linearity adjustment
however.

Greg Doughty
ihnp4!ihlpf!gmd1