[comp.sys.ibm.pc] F-15 Strike Eagle

Don_C_Rudolph@cup.portal.com (02/09/88)

I bought the game, F-15 Strike Eagle.  The original disk has a hole
with a diameter about the size of a pencil lead in it.  I tried
copying the original disk with COPYIIPC, but cannot play the game
with the copied disk.  I have been told that older versions of F-15
do not have the hole.

I would like to be able to make a backup copy.  I also would like to
play the game on my hard disk.  Does anyone have suggestions?

Don_C_Rudolph@cup.portal.com (02/14/88)

Sorry folks, but I put out some bad info over the net.  I described my
F-15 Strike Eagle diskette as having a hole in it.  Well, I just found
out that all floppies have that hole.  It is called it a reference
hole.  I've just never noticed it before.  How do you make an
embarassed happy face?

That doesn't really change things, however.  I would still like to
know how I can put the game on my hard disk.  Can anyone help?

halvers@iraq.steinmetz (peter c halverson) (02/15/88)

Expires:

In article <3186@cup.portal.com> Don_C_Rudolph@cup.portal.com writes:
>Sorry folks, but I put out some bad info over the net.  I described my
>F-15 Strike Eagle diskette as having a hole in it.  Well, I just found
>out that all floppies have that hole.

Wow, I never noticed this before either.  I took a look at my software
collection, and *every* *single* *disk* has a hole in it.  It's always
located near the middle of the disk, looking something like this:

          +--------------------------+
          |                          |
          |                         [
          |                          |
          |          _____           |
          |         /     \          |
          |        |       |         |
          |         \_____/          |
          |             ^            |
          |             |            |
          |             |            |
          +-------------|------------+
                        +---- hole is here

Has anyone else noticed this, or is there something wrong with all
of my disks?  Could this have anything to do with these "virus" programs
that I keep hearing about?

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Pete Halverson                       ARPA: halverson@ge-crd.ARPA
General Electric Company             UUCP: uunet!steinmetz!iraq!halvers
Corporate R & D
Schenectady, NY

"Trust me; I know what I'm doing."
                                    --- Inspector Sledge Hammer

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (02/16/88)

> In article <3186@cup.portal.com> Don_C_Rudolph@cup.portal.com writes:
> >Sorry folks, but I put out some bad info over the net.  I described my
> >F-15 Strike Eagle diskette as having a hole in it.  Well, I just found
> >out that all floppies have that hole.
>
> Wow, I never noticed this before either.  I took a look at my software
> collection, and *every* *single* *disk* has a hole in it.  It's always
> located near the middle of the disk, looking something like this:
>
>           +--------------------------+
>           |                          |
>           |                         [
>           |                          |
>           |          _____           |
>           |         /     \          |
>           |        |       |         |
>           |         \_____/          |
>           |             ^            |
>           |             |            |
>           |             |            |
>           +-------------|------------+
>                         +---- hole is here
>
> Has anyone else noticed this, or is there something wrong with all
> of my disks?  Could this have anything to do with these "virus" programs
> that I keep hearing about?

Great sarcasm, but the reference hole isn't the hub hole.  It's a hole in
the disk visible through a small cutout next to the hub hole.

Clayton E. Cramer

gary@hpbbrd.HP.COM (Gary Tuosto) (02/17/88)

A friend of mine recently told me about a copy protection
technique that sounds just like what you've described, Don.

It seems that some software makers use a laser to put a hole
in their diskettes in a specific place. When the executable
file is run it attempts to write on that spot and immediately
after that attempts to read what it just wrote. Since the
original disk is damaged it will give an '00000000' back no
matter what. Any copied disk however will not be damaged there
and the program can read the information it put there which
proves that the disc had been copied.

This might be what you're experiencing or some variation of the
technique. I wish you luck and may the force be with you.

					 Gary

dbraun@cadev4.intel.com (Doug Braun ~) (02/18/88)

In article <3186@cup.portal.com> Don_C_Rudolph@cup.portal.com writes:
>Sorry folks, but I put out some bad info over the net.  I described my
>F-15 Strike Eagle diskette as having a hole in it.  Well, I just found
>out that all floppies have that hole.  It is called it a reference
>hole.  I've just never noticed it before.  How do you make an
>embarassed happy face?

Actually, having an extra index hole could be an excellent method
of copy protection.  An extra hole wouldn't affect normal operation
because it is only used to tell if the disk is spinning, and during
formatting.
    The scheme would work like this:  The program tries to
read a non-existent sector.  Normally, the controller chip tries
to read until the disk has gone through N revolutions, as determined
by counting index marks.  With an extra hole, there will be twice as many
index marks, so the controller times out in N/2 revolutions.
The program just keeps track of this time, and if it is too long
(i.e. not shortened by an extra hole) the program exits.

This might bomb on ATs, etc., though.

Doug Braun				Intel Corp CAD
					408 496-5939

 / decwrl \
 | hplabs |
-| oliveb |- !intelca!mipos3!cadev4!dbraun
 | amd    |
 \ qantel /