[comp.sys.ibm.pc] OS/2 Experiences

bnsokol@orchid.waterloo.edu (Brad Sokol) (02/17/88)

Does any one on the net have any hands-on experience with the production
version of OS/2? I would be interested in hearing opinions and experiences
on using OS/2 as well as developing applications for it. Some issues of
interest are:

	-problems upgrading from DOS
	-OS/2 commands
	-DOS compatability box - what will run and what won't?
	-speed relative to DOS
	-multi-tasking - how effective is it?
	-application development tools - are all those wonderful DOS
	 compilers useless for OS/2?
	-operating system services - upwardly compatible from DOS INT 21H?
				   - what new functions have been added?

I realise that the usefullness of a 80286 based operating system is a
topic worthy of discussion, but I am interested in hearing exactly what
Microsoft and IBM have given us since it will likely be around in some form
for quite a while.

Thanks in advance
--
Brad Sokol, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada
UUCP:   {allegra,clyde,utzoo,decvax}!watmath!orchid!bnsokol

murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) (02/18/88)

In article <12306@orchid.waterloo.edu> bnsokol@orchid.waterloo.edu (Brad Sokol) writes:

>Does any one on the net have any hands-on experience with the production
>version of OS/2? I would be interested in hearing opinions and experiences
>on using OS/2 as well as developing applications for it. Some issues of
>interest are:
>
>	-problems upgrading from DOS

In terms of installation, there are no problems.  The process is menu
driven and auto-setups some basic defaults.  I have OS/2 installed on
my PC-AT in such a manner that I can boot DOS 3.3 from a floppy.  This
would be suggested if you don't want to fully commit to OS/2 right away.

>	-DOS compatability box - what will run and what won't?

Most 'well behaved' programs will run fine.  There seems to be a fair
bit of speed degredation (at least screen wise)  The word is that it
runs DOS programs about 20% slower that DOS-based 8mhz AT.  What will
not work in the 'box' is background execution.  In other words a program
running in the box will come to a screeching halt when you switch to an
OS/2 screen group.  This is not a problem with things like dBase, but
will kill communications programs.

>	-application development tools - are all those wonderful DOS
>	 compilers useless for OS/2?

yes, I guess so.  All DOS programs are unable to run under OS/2.
(They run in the box, but not from the OS/2 prompt).  You
can try of course, because file and directory structures are the same,
but OS/2 somehow detects DOS .com and .exe files and says something like:
"Program to big to fit memory." Developers and porters might be interested
to know that you can code for a 'Family Application' that will run under
both OS/2 and DOS.

>	-operating system services - upwardly compatible from DOS INT 21H?
>				   - what new functions have been added?

From what I understand,  programs no longer call for DOS services via
the interrupt system, but rather by shared libraries, that are linked
in.  This is similar to the C library structure in that you include
libraries in your code.  C is also the development language of choice
for OS/2 applications.  As far a functions go, all the support for
mutli-tasking, interprocess communication, threads and the like are
supported by the system libraries.

>I realise that the usefullness of a 80286 based operating system is a
>topic worthy of discussion, but I am interested in hearing exactly what
>Microsoft and IBM have given us since it will likely be around in some form
>for quite a while.

My guess is that OS/2 is here to stay.  And thats less of a guess when
you consider all the vendors that are either porting code or developing
new applications specifically for OS/2.  And yes,yes,  everybody is
waiting for the Presentation Manager to really get going,  but the
Standard Edition 1.0 *is* the operating system.  Everything else
is just extentions and enhancements.  Fun in the new world!

--

   ----------- Rodrigo Murillo, UC - Boulder  (303)761-0410 -----------
   murillo@boulder.Colorado.EDU   -or-  ..{hao|nbires}!boulder!murillo