[comp.sys.ibm.pc] I'm beginning to get tired of shareware

hedrick@aramis.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (02/17/88)

I've just entered the IBM PC community.  I'm also effectively more or
less just left it -- I'm using microport Unix, for which software
comes from the Unix community rather than the PC community.
Fortunately the Unix community hasn't yet discovered shareware.
During my brief flirtation with MS-DOS, I spent some time looking
around for software.  Fortunately, I'm in a situation with good
network access, so I have a copy of the PC Blue library on a campus
machine (I think we buy a subscription from the NY PC club), and I can
FTP things from Simtel.  I had noticed these discussions of shareware
before, and I thought: Gee, what a neat idea.  Too bad these cads
aren't willing to pay.  Well, now I've had a bit more experience, and
I'm feeling more sympathetic with the cads.

My major gripe is that by and large I don't know in advance what is
shareware and what isn't.  Defenders of shareware say more or less
that if I don't like it, I just shouldn't get any.  But typically it
takes me a couple of hours to get a major package from Simtel.  Part
of that is the wretched Arpanet delays (even at odd hours, which I do
use), and part of it is waiting for kermit to upload the thing.  Then
I get it and I find that it is shareware.  I have just spent about an
order of magnitude more time getting the thing (my consulting rates
are about $150/hour) than the cost of the product.  I have also used
both Rutgers and DoD resources to deliver what is in the final
analysis a commercial product.  Sure, I can delete the thing, but the
damage is done.  I feel sort of like a heel complaining, because I
know that these guys aren't really trying to get rich off the thing.
They're just trying to make a little money to help support their
hacking on the side, and they're surely more friendly than big bad
....  But darn it, when you include a statement that people are
supposed to pay you, and word it as a quasi-legal licensing agreement,
it's a commercial product.  (I am not concerned about a statement that
simply says if you like it, they'd appreciate a donation.  That's not
very different from the Gnu project, which is also happy to accept
your donation.)

There are also two more subtle problems that show up in a university
environment:

I am trying to get the university to make a clear stand for
intellectual property and against software piracy.  I don't like
having this class of software that we give out (we can't really avoid
it - any collection of PD software we might get would be polluted with
it) that has quasi-legal claims that you should pay them but which as
far as I can tell few people take seriously.  It tends to get our
students used to the concept that everybody cheats in the software
area.

Secondly, there are issues about use of university resources that I'm
not sure I'm clear about.  We are using a lot of disk space storing
what our managers think is public-domain software.  In fact, a fair
chunk of it turns out to be a low-overhead delivery channel for
commercial software.  I'm not sure that we would object to this.
After all, the University has marketing agreements with IBM, Apple,
Zenith, etc., to help students and faculty get systems at a discount,
and our Purchasing people do various things to facilitate it.  So it's
not ridiculous that we might want to facilitate access to low-cost
software.  But I don't think the people involved know that is what
they are doing.  They think they are supplying a PD library.  And as
far as I can tell, it is impossible to know how much of that library
is in fact shareware, without dearc'ing all the files and looking
through all the documentation.  The issue with Simtel is even messier,
because use of the Arpanet to deliver commercial products is just
flat-out illegal.  Similar concerns apply to Usenet, particularly
those portions that pass over the Arpanet.

Frankly, I'm relieved to have moved my work to Unix, where we don't
have such a concept.

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (02/18/88)

In article <2990@aramis.rutgers.edu> hedrick@aramis.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:

 >My major gripe is that by and large I don't know in advance what is
 >shareware and what isn't.  Defenders of shareware say more or less
 >that if I don't like it, I just shouldn't get any.  But typically it
 >takes me a couple of hours to get a major package from Simtel.  Part
 >of that is the wretched Arpanet delays (even at odd hours, which I do
 >use), and part of it is waiting for kermit to upload the thing.  Then
 >I get it and I find that it is shareware.  I have just spent about an
 >order of magnitude more time getting the thing (my consulting rates
 >are about $150/hour) than the cost of the product.  I have also used
 >both Rutgers and DoD resources to deliver what is in the final
 >analysis a commercial product.

The problem here is that of course the people running SIMTEL are responsible
to make sure that there are NO COMMERCIAL packages on their machine; they
are responsible to decide whether shareware falls into that category.

You as the user should not have to worry about the legality - if they offer
it for anon. FTP, they are in fact suggesting to you that it is legal to FTP
it.

The issue of wasted time when you find out that a package is shareware could
be addressed by lobbying the SIMTEL operators to identify shareware as such
in their index.

The same thing applies, of course to any other supplier of freely-distributable
software, and as far as I know, both on CompuServe and Genie the descriptions
of download files include notice of shareware status.

As for your university, the managers need to made aware of the distinction
between freeware and PD on one hand, and shareware on the other. PC Blue
should also be challenged to include some identification of shareware in their

Wolf N. Paul                  Phone: (214) 306-9101 (h)   (214) 404-8077 (w)
3387 Sam Rayburn Run          UUCP: ihnp4!killer!{dcs, doulos}!wnp
Carrollton, TX 75007          INTERNET: wnp@dcs.UUCP       ESL:  62832882
Pat Robertson does NOT speak for all evangelical Christians--not for me, anyway!