[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Microsoft Quick C - Monochrome graphics

pwtotten@orchid.waterloo.edu (Paul Totten) (01/31/88)

I've got a question that will probably seem pretty simple for some of
you, but here it goes.

I recently purchased a copy of Microsoft QuickC.  I own a generic
AT clone running with a Hercules Compatible MONOCHROME graphics
adapter.   The only problem is that I can't seem to find anything
in the manuals provided that tell me how to display monochrome
graphics.   CGA/EGA/VGA are all covered, but not mono.  I tried
all of the graphics modes and none of them seem to work.

Am I just missing something, or what?
Any responses would be greatly appreceiated.

     | Paul W Totten                               It's OK...          |
     | pwtotten@orchid                             I'm with THE band!  |

psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (02/19/88)

< If you lined all the news readers up end-to-end, they'd be easier to shoot. >

In article <12279@orchid.waterloo.edu>, pwtotten@orchid.waterloo.edu (Paul Totten) writes:
> I recently purchased a copy of Microsoft QuickC.  I own a generic
> AT clone running with a Hercules Compatible MONOCHROME graphics
> adapter.   The only problem is that I can't seem to find anything
> in the manuals provided that tell me how to display monochrome
> graphics.   CGA/EGA/VGA are all covered, but not mono.  I tried
> all of the graphics modes and none of them seem to work.
>
> Am I just missing something, or what?

I have bad news for you.  MSC and QC support just about all the IBM
MCGA/VGA mode in the PS/2's), but *no* non-IBM display modes.  On the
other hand, Turbo C 1.5 supports all the IBM modes (*except* the
"volcano picture" mode, but including 3270 PC), Hercules monochrome
graphics, and AT&T 640x400 "super high res" mode.  (No Hercules InColor
or AT&T DEB.)

There are also third-party graphics libraries, but some will cost more
than Turbo C by itself.  And, yes, you should be able to use TC
libraries with QC, though not necessarily vice versa.  Make sure you
get TC 1.5; TC 1.0 had *no* graphics support.

-Paul S. R. Chisholm, {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,rutgers}!mtune!lznv!psc
AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc@lznv.att.com
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.