[comp.sys.ibm.pc] XENIX VS Micoport

jbr0871@fedeva.UUCP (Blaine Robertson) (01/05/88)

Our group will soon need to purchase one of these two products.  We have
no experience in either of these items.  Any recommendations or comments
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Blaine Robertson
Federal Express
Memphis, TN
{hplabs!csun,gatech!emcard}!fedeva!jbr0871

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (01/06/88)

In article <252@fedeva.UUCP> jbr0871@fedeva.UUCP (Blaine Robertson) writes:
| Our group will soon need to purchase one of these two products.  We have
| no experience in either of these items.  Any recommendations or comments
| would be appreciated.

I have used both of these products for at least a year. I just bought
Xenix/386 for my home system (with my own money, yet) and paid about the
same for the runtime as I would for the entire MicroPort.

MicroPort is ideal for the hobbiest who wants to have an inexpensive
UNIX system. I'm told by MP that the latest version, 2.3, supports use
of the serial ports at speeds greater than 1200bps. The C compiler seems
better, too.

Xenix is a more mature product, and seems much more reliable (in the use
I see here and at home). I have been running Xenix for about 2 years
now, and have *never* had a crash due to software. I run two serial
lines, ethernet, and 100+ MB of disk, so it's not because I don't use
the system.

Xenix allows me to compile programs for DOS, or for smaller machines
running Xenix/XT. This has saved me a lot of time in the past, but it
may not be of value to you.

MP C compiles COFF object modules, and is compatible with the versions
offered by INterActive Systems. I have never worried about compatibility
other than source.

You will have to decide which is more cost effective for you.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

learn@igloo.UUCP (william vajk) (01/07/88)

In article <252@fedeva.UUCP>, jbr0871@fedeva.UUCP (Blaine Robertson) writes:
> Our group will soon need to purchase one of these two products.  We have
> no experience in either of these items.  Any recommendations or comments
> would be appreciated.

At the moment, there is no question that uport does not work correctly.
There is a promise of a newly fixed kernel ( post rev 2.3 ). The promise
will have to be proven. If you need a product immediately, go to xenix.

If you can hold off a bit, maybe *this time* uport has fixed it. I sure
hope so....

Bill Vajk                                              learn@igloo

jjw@igloo.UUCP (John Welch) (01/07/88)

In article <252@fedeva.UUCP> jbr0871@fedeva.UUCP (Blaine Robertson) writes:
>Our group will soon need to purchase one of these two products.  We have
>no experience in either of these items.  Any recommendations or comments
>would be appreciated.

   There has been a lot of discussion (and flames) in comp.unix.xenix about
this. To summarize our local experience, Microport is cheaper. It also has
serious serial-port and hard-disk driver problems, and at least 4 times per
week gives a double-panic.
XENIX is reputed to behave much better. I have no experience to back up that
claim.
XENIX will cost about $250 more (discount mailorder) than Microport.

  John Welch                             ..{codas,ihnp4}!ddsw1!igloo!jjw
  "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed or
   numbered. My life is my own; I am a free man!" - #6

mxb@pyuxf.UUCP (Michael Brochstein) (01/07/88)

In article <252@fedeva.UUCP>, jbr0871@fedeva.UUCP writes:
> Our group will soon need to purchase one of these two products.  We have
> no experience in either of these items.  Any recommendations or comments...

	While both products offer both advantages and disadvantages, for a
business that needs a reliable and mature product, Xenix beats Microport
hands down.  Read the comparative reviews in both UNIX/WORLD and Unique
(I don't remember which issues).  I have Xenix running for about 17 months
now and have had NO problems.

--
Michael Brochstein                             Currently at Bellcore/PY4-B222
(201) 699-7177-work                                            Piscataway, NJ

Usenet_area_"Cs.I.Pc"@watmath.waterloo.edu (01/08/88)

From Usenet: gargoyle!ddsw1!igloo!learn
From: learn@igloo.UUCP (william vajk)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: XENIX VS Micoport
Date: 6 Jan 88 20:48:32 GMT

In article <252@fedeva.UUCP>, jbr0871@fedeva.UUCP (Blaine Robertson) writes:
> Our group will soon need to purchase one of these two products.  We have
> no experience in either of these items.  Any recommendations or comments
> would be appreciated.

At the moment, there is no question that uport does not work correctly.
There is a promise of a newly fixed kernel ( post rev 2.3 ). The promise
will have to be proven. If you need a product immediately, go to xenix.

If you can hold off a bit, maybe *this time* uport has fixed it. I sure
hope so....

Bill Vajk                                              learn@igloo

--- via UGate v1.6
 * Origin: watmath (221/163)

bhj@bhjat.UUCP (Burt Janz) (01/13/88)

In article <16217@watmath.waterloo.edu>, 221.162.fido!Usenet_area_"Cs.I.Pc"@watmath.waterloo.edu writes:
> > Our group will soon need to purchase one of these two products.  We have
> > no experience in either of these items.  Any recommendations or comments
> > would be appreciated.
> >

> At the moment, there is no question that uport does not work correctly.
> There is a promise of a newly fixed kernel ( post rev 2.3 ). The promise
> will have to be proven. If you need a product immediately, go to xenix.
>
> If you can hold off a bit, maybe *this time* uport has fixed it. I sure
> hope so....
> Bill Vajk                                              learn@igloo

Oh, for crying out loud!  I have Microport SV/AT 2.3, and am pleased as all
heck about the state of the software.  I've been using uport since 1.36, and
have noticed nothing BUT improvements in each update of the software.

I'm using a clone AT (no name - bought from the importer...), a Maxtor 1065
and a Quantum 540 (55 and 35mb), 2 serial/2 parallel, 3.5mb, and so forth...

I have BOTH a DOS and UNIX partition on my boot disk, and can boot into
either one from the prompt after the memory check.  I have DOS/Merge
and run 123 and Wordstar (ah, well... it works) under it.

What do you want for ~$600?  Perfection?!?  And, with the number of problems
that I note in comp.unix.xenix, XENIX hacks have NO room to flame on
Microport!

I obviously have news running, am currently porting a spreadsheet over
to UNIX, doing other support work, have someone else dialing into my system
and getting news, and do multiple other tasks under it.

Recently I had a problem with my EGA.  I got a new motherboard, and re-loaded
the entire distribution.  For some reason, I kept getting screwy terminal
rewrites.  First it was 25 line, then 23 line, then no scrolling.  I called
their support line.  Within 1 minute (I ALWAYS time it!) I was talking to
Doug Moran.  I described the problem, and he told me that I needed to
patch the Terminfo "ansi" description.  He read me the patch over the
phone.  I got home, patched "ansi" as he said, and the system worked perfectly.
The phone call was free - they have an 800 line during the day.

Ok.  So, we have a reasonably good product at a reasonably good price, with
(at least) reasonably good support.

That rates at least an A in my book.

I've waited for a LONG time to get through to Microport to ask XENIX questions,
and, more often than not, they DON'T have the answers right there at hand!

So, QUIT FLAMING ON MICROPORT!!!!!  YOU should do so well!!!

Burt Janz
..decvax!bhjat!bhj

howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) (01/15/88)

In article <353@igloo.UUCP>, jjw@igloo.UUCP (John Welch) writes:

>    There has been a lot of discussion (and flames) in comp.unix.xenix about
> this. To summarize our local experience, Microport is cheaper. It also has
> serious serial-port and hard-disk driver problems, and at least 4 times per
> week gives a double-panic.
> XENIX is reputed to behave much better. I have no experience to back up that
> claim.
> --

   I wonder why everyone has been having all this trouble with Microport UNIX,
I have been running Microport System V/AT since the 1.3.6 release which was
about two years ago. I have also had this version (now at 2.2U) running on
several different machines, still no problems like mentioned above...

 I am now running Microport V/386 (System V Release 3) on my 80386 machines
and haven't had any real problems with the thing yet. Now I have only had
the 386 port up for about two months, but so far, so good. I am running the
80386 version on a WYSE-3216 machine (16mhz 80386) with 2meg SCRAM, 190 meg
PRIAM Harddrive, and a Bell Technoliges ICC (smart serial controller) 6 port
card. To date my biggest problem is getting debuged software for the ICC
controller, but that is NO major problem. Oh, just one more tid-bit of
information, I am also using the NEW Western Digital track cache harddrive
controller at a 1:1 interleave (WD1006-WAH), and it has really helped the
HD throughput. The 1:1 controller benchmarks with a 280% increase in HD
performance. I just figured I would tell you how things are working out
over on my end...

						Sincearly,
						Howard Leadmon
						cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!howardl
						(301)-335-2206

jjw@igloo.UUCP (John Welch) (01/20/88)

In article <166@bhjat.UUCP> bhj@bhjat.UUCP (Burt Janz) writes:
>> If you can hold off a bit, maybe *this time* uport has fixed it. I sure
>> hope so....
>> Bill Vajk                                              learn@igloo
>
>Oh, for crying out loud!  I have Microport SV/AT 2.3, and am pleased as all
>heck about the state of the software.  I've been using uport since 1.36, and
>have noticed nothing BUT improvements in each update of the software.
>
>I'm using a clone AT (no name - bought from the importer...), a Maxtor 1065
>and a Quantum 540 (55 and 35mb), 2 serial/2 parallel, 3.5mb, and so forth...

	Igloo, too, has 2 serial ports, a no-name AT clone board and some
monster disk drives. It, too, has news running, but ONLY when Bill shuts
down EVERY user to do the poll. He's running at 2400 baud now, and going to
9600 shortly. Microport will NOT EVER keep up with this speed.
	Last weekend, I managed to get a 20Mhz '386 system on loan, just to
see if the problems were Igloo's or Microport's. While UUCPing some mail
between igloo and ddsw1, at the console I catted a large file. BOOM! went the
poll.
	The problems get much worse if you use the 'unflicker' command to
turn off console snow. It would appear that Microport does a CLI and WAITS,
twiddling its thumbs with interrupts turned off, untill the vertical retrace
happens. This is a VERY dumb thing to do.
	For $600, I expect something that WORKS. If you have $600 to throw
away, kind si Burt, please throw it over to igloo so we can buy XENIX and
get a system that WORKS for a change.

learn@igloo.UUCP (william vajk) (01/20/88)

In article <166@bhjat.UUCP>, bhj@bhjat.UUCP (Burt Janz) writes:

> Oh, for crying out loud!  I have Microport SV/AT 2.3, and am pleased as all
> heck about the state of the software.  I've been using uport since 1.36, and
> have noticed nothing BUT improvements in each update of the software.

I too have noticed many improvements, and most were sorely needed by an
immature product, rapidly approaching usability comparable to other OS
software available, albeit at a somewhat higher price.

I have not seen any 'enhancements' in the upgrades, or rather, if they
are indeed there, from my vantage point, they have been overshadowed
by the problems that still exist, the places where MY attention is focused.

> I'm using a clone AT (no name - bought from the importer...), a Maxtor 1065
> and a Quantum 540 (55 and 35mb), 2 serial/2 parallel, 3.5mb, and so forth...

For heaven's sakes, if you have a really working system, I DO want to hear
about it, and want to hear exact details of the equipment you are running. I
have heard fleeting commentary about 'microport works' and wish mine did. Please
mail me your exact configuration, including whose sio board you are using, all
the details. I might just be able to duplicate your success. Also please
advise how many of the ports are actively used, and how many are used at one
time. Is your system public access ? Do you get the newsfeed at a time that
you and/or others are accessing the system ? Or is your newsfeed at a time when
nothing else is happpening ? It is very easy to say 'it works' and just as easy
for me to say 'mine doesn't.' Point is, there are apparently conditions where
it does, and times/circumstances where it won't. I've been working as much
as possible with uport to close that gap, and will continue to do so. The new
drivers are installed on igloo, and that has given some relief.

> What do you want for ~$600?  Perfection?!?  And, with the number of problems
> that I note in comp.unix.xenix, XENIX hacks have NO room to flame on
> Microport!

First of all, the microport I purchased was well over $700 (1.36), and I
purchased one upgrade (2.3) for it, so the total is approximately $800.
I am not a XENIX hack, barely a UNIX hack, and I've devoted an inordinate
amount of time to uport on this system. Money has nothing to do with this,
though if it did, the complete xenix package can be found for just under
$1000 thru discounters ('286 version). If a bus that you paid 50 cents to
ride runs late, and you have resulting problems, is it ok cause
'what can you expect for 50 cents ?' Gimme a break already, and quit with
the religion here. People buy a product expecting it to work, and don't buy
a cheaper product (softwarewise) as a compromise to needed functionality.

> I obviously have news running, am currently porting a spreadsheet over
> to UNIX, doing other support work, have someone else dialing into my system
> and getting news, and do multiple other tasks under it.

Wasn't obvious to me. Does this 'other person' (I assume you mean one person
or machine) run 'rn' while you are getting your newsfeed ? I have no problems
when the console is being used for limited tasking now either, and cpu loading
is never a problem. Offsite users running bbs software, or even catting a file
using a pager, do cause sufficient timeouts to lose the feed, at least they
do on igloo. I want to hear some success stories under these circumstances.
I can run two polls to other machines at the same time. Screen refresh is what
seems to kill off polling.

> Ok.  So, we have a reasonably good product at a reasonably good price, with
> (at least) reasonably good support.

When you call to get a patch for a manufacturer's problem, that isn't support,
that's repair. When you call cause you don't know something, or botch it up
yourself, that's support. I have asked for repairs and so, obviously, have you
in the case of the ansi terminfo. It was broken, they repaired it, and that
bodes well of any vendor. I hope the rest of the repairs are as rapidly
forthcoming. If I didn't have faith in uport fixing problems in the very near
future, I wouldn't bother working with their product, and would already
have switched to xenix. As things presently stand, I am working in concert with
engineering at uport, have offered my machine as a place to let pedestrian
users beat the heck out of the product, and report how well/badly stuff works
here under a field level stress on a machine with an etc/passwd file that
is 137 lines. Maybe not big by conventional standards, but sizable for a
little '286 box with 2 phone lines, the full development package, the
documenters' workbench package, a full newsfeed, and two commercial BBS
packages running side by side, sporting 92 megs worth of HD and 5.5 meg ram.

Please follow up with mail regarding your exact hardware configuration. Thanks.

Bill Vajk                                               learn@igloo

jjw@igloo.UUCP (John Welch) (01/30/88)

In article <428@cimcor.UUCP> mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier) writes:

>> 	Igloo, too, has 2 serial ports, a no-name AT clone board and some
>> monster disk drives. It, too, has news running, but ONLY when Bill shuts
>> down EVERY user to do the poll. He's running at 2400 baud now, and going to
>

>Strange, my Microport system with the same configuration seems to work
>great. Perhaps, your no name clone does have problems.
>
>    -Mike
>    {ihnp4, amdahl, rutgers}!meccts!cimcor!mike

Very strange, because when using Microport with several different motherboards,
the same problem exists. Also, when using Tandy XENIX on the same motherboards,
the problem goes away. Are you running anything while getting a LARGE (more
than 3 meg compressed) of news? Try catting a large text file from the main
console at that time, and wave bye-bye to Microport.
	By the way, the problem got better (did NOT go away) when we installed
a 20Mhz '386 board with 4 Meg of .6 wait-state RAM. The problem has also gotten
better when a faster (40ms as opposed to 65ms) drive has been used for news
storage. It seems to me that Microport needs to do some work on the device
drivers to get them running correctly on an AT.

learn@igloo.UUCP (william vajk) (01/30/88)

In article <428@cimcor.UUCP>, mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier) writes:

> > 	Igloo, too, has 2 serial ports, a no-name AT clone board and some
> > monster disk drives. It, too, has news running, but ONLY when Bill shuts
> > down EVERY user to do the poll. He's running at 2400 baud now, and going to
>

> Strange, my Microport system with the same configuration seems to work
> great. Perhaps, your no name clone does have problems.

Your statement might bear some validity, but we emplaced a name brand
known good and working 20 MHz '386 motherboard in the box for a weekend,
complete with 4 megs of simm ram, and experienced the same problems.
We have swapped about several well known sio cards, including a dumb 8
digiboard (presently on loan to another system and running fine under
xenix.)

The only parts of this system that have not been test exchanged are the
CGA card, the HD controller card, and the fast HD's themselves( a 40 meg
seagate, and a 72 meg miniscribe.) These too will be swapped for testing,
but all indications are that the problems lie with the software. I have
witnessed the same problems igloo sees on stock Televideo and Tetung
machines. Maybe they were hardware problems too. Strange that xenix
runs just fine on them.

Igloo now sports a trailblazer, running polls at 9600. The new sio
driver here for beta test from uport works nicely.

Bill Vajk                                       learn@igloo

mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier) (02/01/88)

In article <377@igloo.UUCP>, jjw@igloo.UUCP (John Welch) writes:
> Very strange, because when using Microport with several different motherboards,
> the same problem exists. Also, when using Tandy XENIX on the same motherboards,
> the problem goes away. Are you running anything while getting a LARGE (more
> than 3 meg compressed) of news? Try catting a large text file from the main
> console at that time, and wave bye-bye to Microport.

I'm sorry, I don't get that much news at a shot to run your test though
I'd be suprised if it did anything to the system. I've also
set the Nice value in defs.h(?) in the news software to run the uncompression
at a lower priority. I have catted (sp?) large text files without
any problem  while news was unpacking, at the same time as my wife
was working on the 9600 baud vt200 terminal.

You mentioned an improvement going from the 65ms drives to the 40ms drives.
Perhaps the reason for my success is my faster 28ms drives (maxtor 1140).
I've had this system running since I installed version 2.3 with dosMerge
for a couple months now without any crash at all. Maybe Microport
isn't robust for all hardware configurations but it sures works good
on this one.

    -Mike
    {rutgers, amdahl, ihnp4}!bungia!cimcor!mike

manes@dasys1.UUCP (Steve Manes) (02/02/88)

In article <428@cimcor.UUCP> mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier) writes:
>> 	Igloo, too, has 2 serial ports, a no-name AT clone board and some
>> monster disk drives. It, too, has news running, but ONLY when Bill shuts
>> down EVERY user to do the poll. He's running at 2400 baud now, and going to
>

>Strange, my Microport system with the same configuration seems to work
>great. Perhaps, your no name clone does have problems.

I doubt it.  I had the same problem with disk/tty interrupts overflowing
and crashing Microport.  The last time it happened, 'fsck' also destroyed
my root file system on reboot.  This crash occurred with two 1200 baud
users on-line and a 'doscp' to a floppy.  My Microport machine was a
Smartek with a Seagate 4096.

The next week my main UUCP feed, also running Microport V/AT on an AST
machine with a 4096, crashed during a long news feed, destroying all file
systems.

Previous to the big crash (I now run Xenix/386, as does my feed),
"double panics" were a routine event on V/AT.  Virtually everyone I know
who uses/used V/AT with active tty processes has experienced the same
problem, and this includes a couple of genuine Big Blue machines.  The
problem is known and was easily replicated in 2.2... just login with a 9600
baud machine over a null modem and then upload a text file with 'cat >
filename'.  Then fire up 'cu' (providing that you're not already staring at
a screen with Microport's guts spilled all over it).

--
+-----
+ Steve Manes            Roxy Recorders, Inc.             NYC

jjw@igloo.UUCP (John Welch) (02/06/88)

In article <434@cimcor.UUCP> mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier) writes:
>at a lower priority. I have catted (sp?) large text files without
>any problem  while news was unpacking, at the same time as my wife
>was working on the 9600 baud vt200 terminal.

Sorry if I gave the impression that the bug occurrs while UNPACKING. It
happens while news is being TRANSMITTED... It appears that Microport has
interrupts turned off for far too long while inside the interrupt service
routines. The particular problem here happens on a CGA card, and it is
quite a bit worse if you use the un-flicker option, which appears to leave
interrupts disabled while scrolling during a screen refresh.

learn@igloo.UUCP (william vajk) (02/06/88)

In article <434@cimcor.UUCP>, mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier) writes:
> You mentioned an improvement going from the 65ms drives to the 40ms drives.
> Perhaps the reason for my success is my faster 28ms drives (maxtor 1140).
> I've had this system running since I installed version 2.3 with dosMerge
> for a couple months now without any crash at all. Maybe Microport
> isn't robust for all hardware configurations but it sures works good
> on this one.

Most of the system crashes disappeared with the installation of 2.3. The
ones that remain are the direct result of hung processes when a remote
user terminates the session without logging off. This usually results
in the OS becoming confused, DTR not being reasserted, and any attempt to
respawn getty ends with a completely hung system and a double panic.

From that standpoint, great strides have been made by microport.

The upgrade of drives has relieved the previously undiagnosed problem
of dropping the uucp feed with an input mode failure when the system was
otherwise idle, the error message being identical to the failures reported
when ths system is not idle during incoming uucp.

Unless the system is otherwise idle *during* incoming uucp, there are
sufficient dropped characters to generate alarms terminating the uucp.

Actually, you don't need a long feed to prove this one way or another
for your system. A 75 to 100 K feed will suffice, if you cat a long
file during the feed, either from one of the consoles or by remote.

The problem is greatest if the remote operates at 300 baud as the
continuous screen refresh steals the interrupt necessary for the
incoming uucp to function.

This history was completely valid until a few days ago, when we installed
a telebit trailblazer and started receiving our newsfeed at 9600 baud.

What has changed is that the manifestation is now reversed for reasons
we have yet to discern. Watching an incoming uucp (usenet news), I permitted
a user to log in at 300 baud, and cat a long file. The packets at 9600
come across fast enough, and there are other intelligent interactions
between the corresponding modems. What previously was an uninterrupted
stream of data going out the 300 baud line (while uucp died) is now
a clearly interrupted stream to the 300 baud line, 180 degrees out of
sync with the RD light on the telebit. Karl Denninger's autobaud getty
was installed to accommodate the 9600 baud modem connection.

Our original hunch of problems with interrupt prioritazation seems
to be reproved at every turn. Once this is fixed, the remainder should
fall neatly into place.

Changing the main drive from a 40 meg 40 ms to a 72 meg, 28 ms unit had
no effect on uucp problems. We maintain a separate drive with a single
partition for /usr/spool.

Bill Vajk                                            learn@igloo

rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) (02/14/88)

Over the last month I've seen alot of bad press about the speed of
Microport UNIX.  It started with the Unique article which in my
opinion gave an excessively negative imaage of Microport UNIX and
has continued here.  The basic issue seems to revolve around the speed
of the two systems as related to disk I/O and serial port I/O.
Unfortunately people seem to be describing symptoms and complaining
instead of actually doing some hard research into the nature of
the problems.

RE: hard disk speed.  Has anyone done the research to determine the
proper interleave factor for the hard disks?  Has anyone determined the
interaction between the software interleave (specified during when
making UNIX file systems) and hardware interleave handled by the
controller?  Exactly what are the I/O transfer rates you can
expect under UNIX?

RE: serial I/O ports.  I'm under the impression that standard PC
I/O ports do character at a time I/O.  That means you have to
take an interrupt for every character into or out of the machine.
What is the interrupt overhead on the UNIXes?  I once managed a
VAX with a DZ multiplexor (which did character at a time I/O) and
we could routinely bring the machine to its knees by running a
couple of lines doing medium speed I/O.  Unless you have very fast
machines with low interrupt overhead you cannot expect to do
much I/O with character at a time devices.  If you want to do
alot of I/O and not bog down the CPU go get a board like the
DIGIBOARD COM/8I with another processor (80186) and 8K I/O buffers
to handle the I/O.

I'm not saying that XENIX is not faster than Microport, after all SCO/
Microsoft has had 2-3 more years to refine the serial I/O port driver
and hard disk interleave factors.  The fact that most XENIX development
was done of VERY SLOW machines gave the developers an incentive to
improve those features.  Now people have so much CPU power available
to them that they rarely put themselves in an environment which degrades
peformance sufficiently to provide an incentive to improve things.

One of the advantages of Microport over Xenix is that it provides tools
to analyze the performance of the machine (SAR and the system profiler).
SAR works.  A sequence like the following:
	/usr/lib/sa/sa1
	 - execute command(s)
	/usr/lib/sa/sa1
	sar -y			- give tty I/O statistics
	sar -b			- give disk I/O statistics

These would give us (and Microport) an idea of how heavily the system
is being used and what the bottlenecks might be.

The system profiler would provide even more information about exactly
which functions in the UNIX kernel were consuming the most time.
(Unfortunately it appears the profiler is not operative in my current
 2.2 release of 386 Unix -- -2 for Microport).

As these features are not available under Xenix (remember the Xenix
kernel is based on System III) you have no assistance in locating
the source of system bottlenecks.

I would be interested in some HARD facts about how many terminals
you can run at what speeds with and without console I/O, hard disk
interleave factors, interrupt overhead, I/O bandwidth, etc. for
machines running Microport UNIX and XENIX.  Then we could give
the O.S. and the machines a "FAIR" comparison.

Should we develop a set of programs which can measure these things?
I'm willing to provide the database maintenance for the results.

--
Robert Bradbury
Oracle Corporation

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/17/88)

In article <242@oracle.UUCP> rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) writes:
| [...]
| I'm not saying that XENIX is not faster than Microport, after all SCO/
| Microsoft has had 2-3 more years to refine the serial I/O port driver
| and hard disk interleave factors.  The fact that most XENIX development
	I have *never* heard of a problem with Xenix crashing because
someone was doing serial i/o. Until Microport 2.3, a number of people
(all three of the people I know who have it and dozens on the net) had
problems. I measured the serial throughput and the best I could get was
102cps at 1200 baud, system crashed at higher speeds.

| was done of VERY SLOW machines gave the developers an incentive to
| improve those features.  Now people have so much CPU power available
| to them that they rarely put themselves in an environment which degrades
| peformance sufficiently to provide an incentive to improve things.
	What Cray are you using? I have a *lot* of incentive to keep
things working well.
| [...]
| As these features are not available under Xenix (remember the Xenix
| kernel is based on System III) you have no assistance in locating
| the source of system bottlenecks.
	I'm not sure what the connection is... these tools seem to run
under Xenix if you have a source license. SCO didn't bundle them.
MicroPort didn't bundle acctcom. My understanding is that Xenix passed
all but six programs of SVVS (does anyone else have solid information
otherwise?) and since the SysV kernel is based on the SysIII kernel, I
think it's safe to assume that the MicroPort kernel is SysIII based,
also.
| [...]
| Should we develop a set of programs which can measure these things?
| I'm willing to provide the database maintenance for the results.
	A large number of people have measured these things, the trick
is to pick the benchmark that says what you want it to. Not that what
you propose is without merit, but the only way it would be valid would
be to run both operating systems on the same machine. I am a believer
that "identical hardware isn't."
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

learn@igloo.UUCP (william vajk) (02/19/88)

In article <242@oracle.UUCP>, rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) writes:
> Over the last month I've seen alot of bad press about the speed of
> Microport UNIX.  It started with the Unique article which in my
> opinion gave an excessively negative imaage of Microport UNIX and
> has continued here.

I don't know how to break the news to you, but this started well before any
_Unique_ article. Looking at the referenced articles list, I note that two
of them in this ongoing discussion originated from igloo. If you want an
image which reflects the true state of microport, I invite you here, to
Northbrook Illinois, to be sysadm for igloo for a week. I am discussing the
'286 product here.

> The basic issue seems to revolve around the speed
> of the two systems as related to disk I/O and serial port I/O.
> Unfortunately people seem to be describing symptoms and complaining
> instead of actually doing some hard research into the nature of
> the problems.

I am the consumer, the end user of the product. Yes, I can complain in
terms of sympotms all I want. I paid for that right. I have done as much
research as is possible for an end user to do (we are not a development
lab here....how many end users are ?) and relayed all available information
to microport. It is the OEM's job to do the hard basic research. Are you
suggesting that we, the users, fix the product for them ? Why, then, would
we need an OEM at all ?

> RE: hard disk speed.  Has anyone done the research to determine the
> proper interleave factor for the hard disks?  Has anyone determined the
> interaction between the software interleave (specified during when
> making UNIX file systems) and hardware interleave handled by the
> controller?  Exactly what are the I/O transfer rates you can
> expect under UNIX?

The transfer rates affect the amount of time that interrupts remain
(get this) disabled. I have already noted that with a slow HD, we lost
some uucp connections during extended feeds. This problem went away
when the drive for /usr/spool was upgraded to a fast drive. When the
slow drive captured the interrupt, and the host computer continued to
send, igloo was unable to return a checksum, as the interrupt was
occupied with the HD, sometimes long enough to have the host time out
and drop the feed.

> DIGIBOARD COM/8I with another processor (80186) and 8K I/O buffers
> to handle the I/O.

a hardware solution to a software problem ? Gack ! What next ?

> I'm not saying that XENIX is not faster than Microport, after all SCO/
> Microsoft has had 2-3 more years to refine the serial I/O port driver
> and hard disk interleave factors.  The fact that most XENIX development
> was done of VERY SLOW machines gave the developers an incentive to
> improve those features.  Now people have so much CPU power available
> to them that they rarely put themselves in an environment which degrades
> peformance sufficiently to provide an incentive to improve things.

Interesting you should bring up this point. Microport did promise a
*working* product. That means, it is supposed to do unixish things, like
uucp, and it does not perform these functions in an acceptable manner, by
*anyone's* yardstick.

Slow machine vs fast machine for development has no bearing. Microport was
developed on a fast machine, for fast machines, and does not function as
it is supposed to. CPU power ? We ran microport on a 20 mhz '386 machine
loaned to us for a weekend. Yep, stuff zipped along quite nicely, but
essentially nothing changed when it came to getting our newsfeed. It still
failed miserably. There was essentially no difference during uucp between
the 8 mhz '286 machine we normally run, and the '386 20 mhz system. The
poll still failed simply by having either the console, or one user at 2400
baud cat a large file. Fails even faster if the user catting a large file
is at 300 baud.

> One of the advantages of Microport over Xenix is that it provides tools
> to analyze the performance of the machine (SAR and the system profiler).
> SAR works.  A sequence like the following:
> 	/usr/lib/sa/sa1
> 	 - execute command(s)
> 	/usr/lib/sa/sa1
> 	sar -y			- give tty I/O statistics
> 	sar -b			- give disk I/O statistics
>
> These would give us (and Microport) an idea of how heavily the system
> is being used and what the bottlenecks might be.

I believe microport has a lab capable of doing this. I have neither the
time nor the patience. I offered microport officials root privledges
on igloo, and a uucp connection, if they wanted to come play with this
box.

> I would be interested in some HARD facts about how many terminals
> you can run at what speeds with and without console I/O, hard disk
> interleave factors, interrupt overhead, I/O bandwidth, etc. for
> machines running Microport UNIX and XENIX.  Then we could give
> the O.S. and the machines a "FAIR" comparison.

During 2400 baud (and slower) uucp, you can run no terminals, no
remote logins, and no console, else you lose the feed because of the
lost character problem, which then results in checksum problems....

With Karl Deninger's autobaud getty in place, and with a 9600 poll,
the losses of incoming uucp become short enough that we do not lose the
feed. The transfer time is greatly extended however, and characters
are lost with a user attempting to type in into mail (as in elm running
vi.) Also, a user attempting to cat a file at 300/1200/2400 gets a
jumpy interrupted stream. I consider the jumpy stream acceptable, though
it does look quite strange.

I am not interested in comparisons. I am interested in a *working* system.
I wouldn't mind losing some speed, if it worked. I can counter that with
faster hardware. I don't consider lost characters to be acceptable. I
don't consider feeds lost because of a malfunctioning OS to be acceptable.

> Should we develop a set of programs which can measure these things?
> I'm willing to provide the database maintenance for the results.

I have full system accounting running at igloo presently, the problems
predated the installation of accounting. Send me mail. If you're really
interested in solving microport's problems, I'll gladly set up an account
for you on igloo. I am interested in having a working product. I don't know
about devoting scads of additional time to solve the OEM's problems for them,
but I'll continue to contribute what I consider 'reasonable'.

Bill Vajk                                                  learn@igloo