[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard Disk Low Level Format HELP NEEDED

phil@sci.UUCP (Phil Kaufman) (02/13/88)

Having just done a full backup, I decided to experiment with changing
interleave factors using one of the programs that is supposed to do
so without erasing the disk. Well, as one might expect, it took several
hours and wiped the disk clean. Even FDISK won't run. Now I need to
do a low level format to get going again but I have never done one and
have no programs to do so. HELP

What do I need to do? What program do I need? I have heard somewhere that
there is code in the disk controller to do low level format but I have
no details on how to do it. (It is a WD 16-bit AT type controller.)

Thanks

David_T_Lawlor@cup.portal.com (02/15/88)

I see three choices in doing a low level format.
1. Take your Hard Disk to the local Fry's (or equivalent PC fixit shop)
   and pay $30 - $50

2. Get a hold of IBM's Advanced Diagnostics (available only through dealers)

3. (What I did) Buy "Disk Manager" by "Ontrack" ($30 - $50). I use It to
   Partition up my Hard disk into many virtual Hard Disks. It will also do
   a low level format.

Best Bet and less headaches: See the dealer you got your disk from.

mrk@gvgspd.UUCP (Michael R. Kesti) (02/18/88)

In article <3232@cup.portal.com> David_T_Lawlor@cup.portal.com writes:
>I see three choices in doing a low level format.
>1. Take your Hard Disk to the local Fry's (or equivalent PC fixit shop)
>   and pay $30 - $50
>2. Get a hold of IBM's Advanced Diagnostics (available only through dealers)
>3. (What I did) Buy "Disk Manager" by "Ontrack" ($30 - $50). I use It to
>   Partition up my Hard disk into many virtual Hard Disks. It will also do
>   a low level format.
>Best Bet and less headaches: See the dealer you got your disk from.

I disagree on two points.

Firstly, the dealer you got the disk from is often unavailable for or not
interested in performing this service.

Secondly, there is another alternative.  I have always used just the code
supplied with the products involved.  Most hard disk controllers provide a
user accessable low level formatter (certainly, all of Western Digitial's
do).  To start these in ROM programs, one uses DEBUG (supplied with almost
all releases of DOS) to transfer execution to them.  Exact details, like
starting address may vary, but it goes something like:

	A> debug
	-g=c800:5

The address given is correct for the WD WX1 controller.  One is presented
with a series of prompts to input user configurable parameters.  You may
need to know such things as the number of cylinders and heads used in your
drive, though later ROMs may include the feature of determining these
parameters by themselves.  When this process is complete one is be prompted
to reboot the machine.  Do so from the floppy and used FDISK (again, supplied
with most DOS releases) to install the DOS partition, boot again from the
floppy, and finally use FORMAT C: /S to install DOS.  Now you are up and
running without an extra cent for software, because it was already there.

This is, of course, a very thumbnail sketch of the process, and may not be
viable for exotic installations, but for installing a Seagate 225 using a
Western Digital controller (a quite common thing to do!), it works just fine.

Disclaimer: I have no association with any of the companies mentioned.
	    If you fry your machine because I encouraged you to be a
	    do-it-youselfer, I won't be responsible.

Michael Kesti  Grass Valley Group, Inc. | "Like one and one don't make two,
P.O. Box 1114  Grass Valley, CA  95945  |  one and one make one."
UUCP:	...!tektronix!gvgpsa!gvgspd!mrk |                - The Who, Bargain

cwwj@ur-tut.UUCP (Clarence Wilkerson) (02/19/88)

I think that most AT controllers rely on the code in the ROM BIOS
rather than having their own addon BIOS chip.