[comp.sys.ibm.pc] modem/software able to handle phone lines with "call waiting"

foulser@yale.UUCP (david foulser) (02/18/88)

I am looking for a solution to the problem of communicating over a phone line
with "call waiting" (in which a second call can come in, signalled by a
beep-beep tone) while the first call is active). In particular, I am looking
for something that will handle the beep-beep tone as a signal to me, rather
than interpreting it as garbage data.

Please mail all replies to foulser-david@eli.cs.yale.edu, or call me directly
at (203)432-1200 or (203)777-7442.

Many thanks for your help.

Dave Foulser

murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) (02/18/88)

In article <23340@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> foulser@yale.UUCP (david foulser) writes:

>I am looking for a solution to the problem of communicating over a phone line
>with "call waiting" (in which a second call can come in, signalled by a
>beep-beep tone) while the first call is active). In particular, I am looking
>for something that will handle the beep-beep tone as a signal to me, rather
>than interpreting it as garbage data.

I don't know if this can be done.  If you want to answer the call, thats
one thing.  But if you want to ignore it, MaBell has provided a way to
disable this feature.  Just key *70 before making the call (put this
in your dial string if you like).  If your area supports this feature,
you will get a couple tones then a regular dial tone.   Works great.

--

   ----------- Rodrigo Murillo, UC - Boulder  (303)761-0410 -----------
   murillo@boulder.Colorado.EDU   -or-  ..{hao|nbires}!boulder!murillo

laba-5ac@web3b.berkeley.edu (Erik Talvola) (02/19/88)

In article <4365@sigi.Colorado.EDU> murillo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) writes:
>In article <23340@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> foulser@yale.UUCP (david foulser) writes:
>
>>I am looking for a solution to the problem of communicating over a phone line
>>with "call waiting" (in which a second call can come in, signalled by a
>>beep-beep tone) while the first call is active). In particular, I am looking
>>for something that will handle the beep-beep tone as a signal to me, rather
>>than interpreting it as garbage data.
>
>I don't know if this can be done.  If you want to answer the call, thats
>one thing.  But if you want to ignore it, MaBell has provided a way to
>disable this feature.  Just key *70 before making the call (put this
>in your dial string if you like).  If your area supports this feature,
>you will get a couple tones then a regular dial tone.   Works great.

  Or, if you do not have a touch-tone line, you may use 1170 instead of *70
to cancel call waiting.  However, I don't know how you can keep it active
and have it signal to you without putting garbage over the modem.  This
would be helpful, since if I call somewhere, I don't want to have the line
garbled with call-waiting information, but I also would like to know if
calls come in.

Erik Talvola          laba-5ac@widow.berkeley.edu

"To err is human... to moo bovine."

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (02/20/88)

$

And then, in article <4365@sigi.Colorado.EDU> murillo@boulder.Colorado.EDU
(Rodrigo Murillo) writes:
$ I don't know if this can be done.  If you want to answer the call, thats
$ one thing.  But if you want to ignore it, MaBell has provided a way to
$ disable this feature.  Just key *70 before making the call (put this
$ in your dial string if you like).  If your area supports this feature,
$ you will get a couple tones then a regular dial tone.   Works great.

Well, that's probably the best solution, if it's available in your
area.  Here is a next-best:

Subscribe to three way calling.  This lets you have two way outgoing
calls.  Call up a number that's always busy -- the phone company
seems to have some of these everywhere -- and that will defeat call
waiting.  Then call your host computer.

This costs some bucks, though.  It may cost as much as the
next-next-best solution, which is what I do:

(Actually, I think this is best but may cost more, which is why I
call it next-next-best.)  Get a second phone line put in.  You can
get calls when you are on the modem line.  And you can also have the
phone company set it up so that calls are transferred to your second
line if your first line is busy so you only have to publish one
number.  In NYC, my second line only cost me about $7.

Tom Reingold                    INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research    UUCP:           rutgers!bellcore!tr
435 South St room 2L350         SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work]
Morristown, NJ 07960                            (201) 287-2345 [home]