[comp.sys.ibm.pc] RUsing laptops in flight

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (02/19/88)

A friend of mine is a captain for Japan Air Lines.  He uses his Toshiba
3100  in flight all the time -- even in the cabin when the 747 is on
autopilot!  He says he's never seen any interference.

OTOH, I have seen pocket calculators interfere with the operation of a
relatively minor piece of navigational equipment called an automatic
direction finder.  The ADF is used on domestic flights to aid in finding
the outermnost beacons for an instrument approach to landing, so
shutting down when the seatbelt light comes on is a safe idea.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/20/88)

In article <228@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>OTOH, I have seen pocket calculators interfere with the operation of a
>relatively minor piece of navigational equipment called an automatic
>direction finder.

Depending on the type of calculator, they can have serious influence
on radio and electronic equipment placed nearby (usually up to 3 feet
away for insensitive equipment).  LED display type calculators usually
cause quite a lot of interference, even on real cheap radios.  I have
never tried LCD's though.  Any comments?

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu