[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MKS Toolkit - can't run Guidelines C++ .bat file the deluxe setup

charlie@condor.UUCP (Charlie Havener) (02/17/88)

I have just purchased the MKS toolkit, mainly to get the vi editor.
The vi editor works quite nicely so far. Has anyone tried using the
configuration 4 installation which runs an init program and asks you
to login to the PC? I have not been able to get that mode to work
with my Guidelines C++ compiler ( actually it is the Microsoft 5.0
linker that gives me error messages ). The message I get from the
linker is something like L1002 Bad option. If I start up the pc
with command.com running and then invoke the Korn shell via 'sh',
the 'cppexe' .bat file runs ok. I have set all the shell and
environment variables correctly I think. I typed in the batch
file line manually but it still gave an error (link hw2,nul,, I forget ).
I am not sure exactly what happens. I assume the Korn shell must
start up command.com to run the cppexe.bat file. Somewhere along
the line something goes wrong. It gets quite a long way into the
.bat file before the linker gives up.

I have managed to get the vi editor to suspend with cntrl-Z but
it took a lot of poring through the manual to find the
ulimit -d 64 command that had to be issued to the shell to allow
vi to suspend without crashing the system.

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (02/18/88)

In article <8042@condor.UUCP> charlie@condor.UUCP (Charlie Havener) writes:

>I have just purchased the MKS toolkit, mainly to get the vi editor.
>The vi editor works quite nicely so far. Has anyone tried using the
>configuration 4 installation which runs an init program and asks you
>to login to the PC? I have not been able to get that mode to work
>with my Guidelines C++ compiler ( actually it is the Microsoft 5.0
>linker that gives me error messages ). The message I get from the
>linker is something like L1002 Bad option. If I start up the pc

How about converting the *.bat files to *.sh files? That would be the cleanest
solution, and would allow you to fine-tune things to work with /bin/sh.

The "Bad Option" message from the linker is related, I believe, to the fact
that the MS Linker (all versions I have ever used) have '/' hardcoded as the
option character, and anytime '/' is used in a pathname, the linker hiccups.

I suspect that one of your environment variables (LIB, INCLUDE, maybe TMP or
TEMP, don't know for sure) which the Linker looks at, uses '/' as directory
separators.

I simply typed pathnames in environment variables used by the linker as
"\\dir\\file" rather than "/dir/file". You need to double up the backslash
since the MKS sh will swallow the first backslash, like UNIX sh.

There are a few other DOS commands which have the same problem. MS provided
a way to set the switch character for command.com, and then hardcoded it
into some of the utilities. Shows real smarts and consistency on the part
of their programmers!
--
Wolf N. Paul                  Phone: (214) 306-9101 (h)   (214) 404-8077 (w)
3387 Sam Rayburn Run          UUCP: ihnp4!killer!{dcs, doulos}!wnp

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (02/20/88)

In article <8042@condor.UUCP>, charlie@condor.UUCP (Charlie Havener) writes:
> I have not been able to get that mode [of the MKS Toolkit] to work
> with my Guidelines C++ compiler ( actually it is the Microsoft 5.0
> linker that gives me error messages ).

Charlie, I haven't used the C++ compiler, but I do have some clues that
will make the Microsoft C compiler work with the Korn shell. Send me a
message, with any relevant information about C++, and let's see what
we can figure out.
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels