[comp.sys.ibm.pc] hard disk and DOS 3.0/3.2 problems

pguhatha@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Puragra Guhathakurta) (02/07/88)

A problem occured while I was using a SIMTEL program DESK130
(a desktop utility) while it was rearranging my 30Mb harddisk
for better performance or whatever.
The result was that my hard disk could not be rebooted.
So I rebooted with my DOS 3.00 diskette from drivve A:
The hard disk is formatted with 3.2.

Now I cannot reboot the hard disk without formatting it seems,
the Norton utilities report that the hard disk is fine in all
repects, system files, FAT's etc.

When I bring up the system under 3.0,
I cannot format a diskette using my 3.2 utilities.

A solution could be to check and write the system (3.2 preferably)
on the hard disk again.

Does anyone know how to write only the boot-stuff on disk without
reformatting the hard disk? Or any other suggestions? I seem to
have myself found in a catch-22 situation.

Peter Teuben
(i'm using this account from a friend, you can reply to him)

gary@hpbbrd.HP.COM (Gary Tuosto) (02/08/88)

When I updated the system on my HP-Vectra (AT compatible)
from 3.1 to 3.2 all I had to do was boot 3.2 from diskette
and then transfer the system files with

	  A> SYS C:

After that all I had to do is transfer the new MSDOS files
(using REPLACE).

Before you reformat your hard disc you might want to try
this first.

			      Gary

lane@dalcs.UUCP (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) (02/20/88)

In article <1930001@hpbbrd.HP.COM> gary@hpbbrd.HP.COM (Gary Tuosto) writes:
>When I updated the system on my HP-Vectra (AT compatible)
>from 3.1 to 3.2 all I had to do was boot 3.2 from diskette
>and then transfer the system files with
>	  A> SYS C:
>After that all I had to do is transfer the new MSDOS files
>
>			      Gary

I didn't catch the original posting with discription of the problem but it
might be one I've had when changing DOS versions from an MS-DOS to a PC-DOS
or vice versa.  Specifically, a PC-DOS SYS looks at the target disk and removes
any existing IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM and writes the new ones from the source
disk.  An MS-DOS SYS will, of course be looking for IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS.
Some versions will not recognise the other, will not delete the existing system
files and will report "No room on target disk".  Solution:  unhide the system
files and get rid of them.  I know Compaq PC-DOS 3.20 does not have this
problem but Microsoft's MS-DOS 3.20 does.

Other possible problems here:  If the version of SYS does not re-write the
boot sector (are there versions which do not?), then the disk will not boot
as it's bootstrap program will be looking for the wrong files.  Also, there
must be enough continuous free space after the root directory for one or
both system files as DOS may not allow them to be fragmented (this differed
with DOS version...I forget exactly how).

This reminds me of another stupid incompatibility in the BACKUP/RESTORE pgms.
MS-DOS BACKUP writes the files pathname in the back-up file with "/" while
PC-DOS's BACKUP uses "\".  MS-DOS's RESTORE reads either way.  PC-DOS's
only recognises files with "\"s.  Silly, eh?  (I might have a few things
reversed there as I'm going on memory, but it's something like that).

Hope that wasn't all redundant.

Cheers,
John Wright

--
John Wright      //////////////////      Phone:  902-424-3805  or  902-424-6527
Post: c/o Dr Pat Lane, Biology Dept, Dalhousie U, Halifax N.S., CANADA  B3H-4H8

leefi@microsoft.UUCP (Lee Fisher) (02/22/88)

In article <2787@dalcs.UUCP>, lane@dalcs.UUCP (John Wright/Dr Pat Lane) writes:

> This reminds me of another stupid incompatibility in the
> BACKUP/RESTORE pgms. MS-DOS BACKUP writes the files pathname in the
> back-up file with "/" while PC-DOS's BACKUP uses "\". MS-DOS's
> RESTORE reads either way. PC-DOS's only recognises files with "\"s.
> Silly, eh? (I might have a few things reversed there as I'm going on
> memory, but it's something like that).

To the best of my knowledge, this problem is ONLY with MS-DOS v3.20.
There was an upgrade which fixed this (among other things), MS-DO
v3.21. So, other than MS-DOS v3.20, all DOS versions use a "\" to
store the full filename when backing it up. I've seen a program on
some BBS which did nothing but read MS-DOS v3.20 backup files and
replaced a "\" with a "/". (Note that MS-DOS v3.20's RESTORE utility
did correctly read the files produced by the MS-DOS v3.20 BACKUP.)

-Lee
________
01001100  Lee Fisher, Microsoft Corp., Redmond, WA.
01000101  {uw-beaver,decvax,decwrl,trsvax,sun,attunix,uune:}!microsof!leefi
01000101  leefi@microsof.uucp
01000110  leefi@microsof.beaver.washington.edu
01001001  disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not those of my employer.