[comp.sys.ibm.pc] a reply to ISC on 'clarifications'

james@bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) (02/14/88)

In article <1667@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:

> The recently announced WD1006 does have track bufferring and reputedly can
> give you 1:1 interleave.

This is correct: I purchased a couple of WD1006's several weeks ago.  I still
have a free controller, but haven't been able to free up a hard disk to do any
testing with unix.  Note that you *cannot* simply use a disk formatted by a
WD1003 with the WD1006: you must low-format the disk first..

The WD1006 also requires a separate floppy controller, such as the WD1002/FOX.

> [...] I'm running with a  WD1003 at 2:1 interleave. Going to the WD1006 will
> allow me to use RLL with 1:1 interleave.

I don't *think* the WD1006 is an RLL controller.  I believe it is ST-506 only.

> If anyone else has tried the WD1006 let's hear about it!

I have been using one under DOS for a couple of weeks: it does fly.  As soon as
the logistics of a free hard disk work out, I'll try it with uPort unix (which
I own): if there is sufficient interest I'm sure I could work something out
with a local Xenix user to arrange a test.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Work: 512-328-0282 Home: 346-2444; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (02/15/88)

In article <824@bigtex.uu.net> james@bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>> [...] I'm running with a  WD1003 at 2:1 interleave. Going to the WD1006 will
>> allow me to use RLL with 1:1 interleave.
>
>I don't *think* the WD1006 is an RLL controller.  I believe it is ST-506 only.

There are two versions. With and without RLL support. There will be two more
versions in another month of two (supposedly) which will floppy support
(again, with and without RLL).

Remember RLL is just another way of using an ST-506 drive. Same physical
configuration and connections. Just a different way to put the bits on the
drive.

ESDI on the other hand does involve a different way to interface to a hard
disk drive. For these there is (I believe) a WD1007 which is ESDI with track
bufferring. Don't quote me I could be wrong.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (02/19/88)

In article <824@bigtex.uu.net> james@bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) writes:

>> If anyone else has tried the WD1006 let's hear about it!
>
>I have been using one under DOS for a couple of weeks: it does fly.  As soon as
>the logistics of a free hard disk work out, I'll try it with uPort unix (which
>I own): if there is sufficient interest I'm sure I could work something out
>with a local Xenix user to arrange a test.

THe WD1006 does look-ahead buffering, I believe, and this will
probably be a pain in the neck for UNIX which tends to scatter files
all over the disk. I, too, have a WD1006 to try with UNIX
(Interactive Systems VP/ix) and have received an alternate
"non-look-ahead" controller IC to use whenever I get around to it...

keith

kirk@braille.UWO.CDN (kirk reiser) (02/20/88)

In article <1674@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>In article <824@bigtex.uu.net> james@bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>>> [...] I'm running with a  WD1003 at 2:1 interleave. Going to the WD1006 will
>>> allow me to use RLL with 1:1 interleave.
>>I don't *think* the WD1006 is an RLL controller.  I believe it is ST-506 only.
>There are two versions. With and without RLL support. There will be two more
>versions in another month of two (supposedly) which will floppy support
>(again, with and without RLL).
>Remember RLL is just another way of using an ST-506 drive. Same physical
>configuration and connections. Just a different way to put the bits on the
>drive.

St-506, rll, and mfm are all terms used when talking about or working with
hard drives.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of information abailable about
the differences between these systems of disk formatting.  It would be nice
to see a discussion about the various types of systems like this or some
references to where information can be obtained.  It is hard to decide which
system to use when bying or building a computer if you don't have access to
info that will help make the decision.  I know rll is used in a lot of new
and less expensive computers to boost the disk storage but it seems this
could lead to compatibility problems with some software.

  Kirk

--
	Kirk Reiser			The Computer Braille Facility
phone:	519-661-3061			University of Western Ontario

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/22/88)

In article <231@braille.UWO.CDN> kirk@braille.uwo.cdn (kirk reiser) writes:

>St-506, rll, and mfm are all terms used when talking about or working with
>hard drives.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of information abailable about
>the differences between these systems of disk formatting.

There is a lot of information available.  All you have to do is to read
the appropriate journals, technical magazines, or any good reference
on disk systems.  There's nothing secret about any of this, you just
have to do your homework.

>It would be nice
>to see a discussion about the various types of systems like this or some
>references to where information can be obtained.

There has been a lot of discussion of this over time.  To reiterate,
ST-506 is the hardware interface to the disk drive, and specifies
among other things, how data is sent to the drive, how the drive is
controlled, and what sort of connectors are used.  Other interfaces
include SCSI, ESDI, and SMD.  Each is different, but the "standard"
IBM-PC interface is ST-506.

MFM and RLL are two different ways of encoding the data which is sent
to the disk.  RLL allows 50% more data to be put on the same amount
of disk space, but requires more sensitive electronics and a somewhat
higher-quality drive.  MFM is the "standard" scheme, used on almost
all 10 and 20 Megabyte drives.  RLL is used mostly in the 30 Megabyte
drive packages commonly available.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate