[comp.sys.ibm.pc] book advice sought

jlh@loral.UUCP (The Happy Hacker) (02/20/88)

I need to learn programming under Windows, and in the bookstore they've
got 2 shelves of books.  Can anyone give me a recommendation as to which
are any good?  Also, I need a book that describes the file formats of
Lotus, Dbase, Reflex, and Symphony.  I found 2 books, each of which has
2 of the formats I need.  Is there a book with all 4 of these in it?

My background.  I am pretty good with C, 8086 assembly, MS-dog, unix.
If the book insists on teaching me all about bits, bytes, and booting
my pc it's probably too basic for my needs.

							Jim

--
Jim Harkins
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego

dan@srs.UUCP (Dan Kegel) (02/22/88)

In article <1548@loral.UUCP> jlh@loral.UUCP (The Happy Hacker) writes:
>I need to learn programming under Windows, and in the bookstore they've
>got 2 shelves of books.  Can anyone give me a recommendation as to which
>are any good?
I just bought "Programming Windows" by Microsoft Press for $30 at the
local bookstore.  It is a great introduction to writing Windows applications-
it gets the details across without blowing your mind, which is more than I
can say for the developer's toolkit.
It even gets into some of the nitty gritty details.
I'm an assembly and C hacker from way back, and this book was quite appropriate
for me.
--
   Dan Kegel
   srs!dan@cs.rochester.edu  dan%srs.uucp@cs.rochester.edu  rochester!srs!dan