[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Used reconditioned hard disks?

jantypas@hope.UUCP (John Antypas) (02/09/88)

Would anyone know anything about the company below?

Hi Tech Asset Recoveries
9036 Owens Mouth
Kenoga Park, CA 91304
(818) 998-7444

As stated by rcw@qetzal.UUCP, they are selling 40M AT drives for $135
and 20M units for $75.  These are reconditioned drives.  Has anyone ever
bought anything like this.  Let me hear your views on this.  Has anyone
ever dealt with this company?

John Antypas -- Soft21 --21st Century Software:

UUCP: {garp, killer, pyramid, reed, sdcsvax!ucrmath}!soft21!jantypas
ARPA: jantypas%soft21.UUCP@{eddie.MIT.EDU, rutgers.EDU, sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU}

root@qetzal.UUCP (Admin) (02/12/88)

In article <111@ucrmath.UUCP>, jantypas@hope.UUCP (John Antypas) writes:
++ Would anyone know anything about the company below?
++
++ Hi Tech Asset Recoveries
++ 9036 Owensmouth
++ Canoga Park, CA 91304
++ (818) 998-7444
++
++ As stated by rcw@qetzal.UUCP, they are selling 40M AT drives for $135
++ and 20M units for $75.  These are reconditioned drives.  Has anyone ever
++ bought anything like this.  Let me hear your views on this.  Has anyone
++ ever dealt with this company?

Yes - and apparently you don't really want to do it.  We've purchased
three drives, none of which worked.  They were repaired for a reasonable
price (and additional $95), so I don't feel screwed, but it's less of
a deal than it appears.

Robert White

dbraun@cadev4.intel.com (Doug Braun ~) (02/18/88)

In article <1240@qetzal.UUCP> root@qetzal.UUCP (Admin) writes:

>Yes - and apparently you don't really want to do it.  We've purchased
>three drives, none of which worked.  They were repaired for a reasonable
>price (and additional $95), so I don't feel screwed, but it's less of
>a deal than it appears.

Here's how I got some really cheap drives:
    On a whim, I called a local place that repairs drives.
It turned out that they have a whole room of broken drives that
they don't feel like fixing (or are totally junked).  I bought
from them 3 Disctron full height 20 meg drives for $10 each.
I picked ones that spun and didn't make funny noises out
of a box full of them.  One evening later, after swapping
boards and replacing a transistor with a broken lead, I
had two working ones, for a total investment of $30.25.

P.S.: These are fairly cheap, slow drives.  Has anyone
heard any horror stories about them?  I never heard of the brand.
Since the place charged a minimum of $99 for service,
these drives were considered not worth repairing, no matter
how trivial the problem.

Doug Braun				Intel Corp CAD
					408 496-5939

 / decwrl \
 | hplabs |
-| oliveb |- !intelca!mipos3!cadev4!dbraun
 | amd    |
 \ qantel /

larry@sgistl.SGI.COM (Larry Autry) (02/23/88)

In article <1240@qetzal.UUCP>, root@qetzal.UUCP (Admin) writes:
-> In article <111@ucrmath.UUCP>, jantypas@hope.UUCP (John Antypas) writes:
-> > Would anyone know anything about the company below?
-> >
-> > Hi Tech Asset Recoveries
-> > 9036 Owensmouth
-> > Canoga Park, CA 91304
-> > (818) 998-7444
-> >
-> > As stated by rcw@qetzal.UUCP, they are selling 40M AT drives for $135
-> > and 20M units for $75.  These are reconditioned drives.  Has anyone ever
-> > bought anything like this.  Let me hear your views on this.  Has anyone
-> > ever dealt with this company?
->
-> Yes - and apparently you don't really want to do it.  We've purchased
-> three drives, none of which worked.  They were repaired for a reasonable
-> price (and additional $95), so I don't feel screwed, but it's less of
-> a deal than it appears.
->
-> Robert White

I figure that you picked up a nice rebuilt 40M drive for about $220 not
including shipping, etc.  It's not hard to find a disk repair shop that
Will repair a drive for a fair fixed price.  I had a hunch that when I
saw the phrase 'as is' that the drive(s) would probably arrive 'doa'.
Still a good gamble.  And you get a short warrant fromn the repair shop to
boot.  Not a bad deal when all is summed up.
--
					Larry Autry
larry@sgistl.sgi.com