[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Laptops and Airport Security

martyn@garfield.UUCP (Martyn Quigley) (01/23/88)

A while back there was discussion about laptops and airport security.  Folks
might be interested in this.

Over Christmas, I travelled by air thus:

   St John's (NFLD) --> Toronto (Ontario) --> Heathrow (London) --> St John's

and hefted my Toshiba 3100 with me. At St John's I asked for the machine to
be hand-checked which they did, but they made me power it up.  At Toronto I
asked for it to be hand-checked, which they did but they did not make me
power it up.  At Heathrow I asked for it to be hand-checked.  They told me
"No x-ray, no travel".  Since there were 6 of them and they were all bigger
than me, the computer duly went through the x-ray machine.

The first thing I did when I got back home was power up the computer.  No
problems at all, all files intact, boot proceeded normally etc.  Whew!

In fact, I was in such a hurry that I forgot to change the voltage selector
back to 120v from English sparks, but even that didn't bother the machine.

Conclusion: *MY* computer did not suffer by going through the x-ray machine
            at Heathrow.  (I do not guarantee that your machine will not.)

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (01/25/88)

In article <4426@garfield.UUCP> martyn@garfield.UUCP (Martyn Quigley) writes:
>A while back there was discussion about laptops and airport security.  Folks
>might be interested in this.
>
>power it up.  At Heathrow I asked for it to be hand-checked.  They told me
>"No x-ray, no travel".  Since there were 6 of them and they were all bigger
>than me, the computer duly went through the x-ray machine.
>
>The first thing I did when I got back home was power up the computer.  No
>problems at all, all files intact, boot proceeded normally etc.  Whew!

I did not understand it back when the discussion was going on, and I still
don't understand it:

What is there in a portable computer or in a box of floppy disks that is going
to be harmed by X-Rays?

X-Rays, being a form of light, can potentially damage photographic film
(although I understand that the frequencies of the airport security X-Rays are
such that it won't harm normal photographic film), but I do not see how
X-Rays can ever affect a magnetic medium (such as a floppy or hard disk)
or electronic components such as make up a computer.

Can anyone enlighten me with scientific reasons for this panic? I don't want
any reports such as "I took it through airport security and it wiped out my
hard disk" -- unless you did this as a controlled experiment, I doubt that it
was the security X-Rays that did it. Most of us are quite capable, and have
proven it, of wiping out our hard disk without the aid of X-Rays.

What I am looking for is a scientific explanation of why X-Rays might damage
a portable computer or other magnetic media.

Wolf Paul
ihnp4!killer!wnp

briane@chinet.UUCP (Brian Ebert) (01/25/88)

I frequently fly with a pc convertible.  It always gets x-rayed and I've
never had a problem with the computer.  What bothers me is how the machine
looks on the x-ray machine.  All that electronics and wire sure would
make a good disguise for a bomb.

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/26/88)

I have not verified this, but it seems likely that x-rays could damage
the information on UV erasable programmable ROM chips. These things work
by permanently storing a small charge. The UV light generates charge carriers
in such a way as to discharge the capacitors?/diodes? which hold the charge.
X-rays would generate exactly the same kind of charge carriers. The major
question is whether one hit would discharge a cell. It takes lots of
UV hits to do it, but one X-ray is worth a lot of UV photons.
   Many computers contain UVEPROMs, for example the XT I'm typing this on
as well as a friend's PC Portable.
   One X-ray hit will absolutely render a grain of film developable; therefore
NO X-ray machine is completely safe for any film. The only difference
is that only high speed film will be ruined by one X-ray.

DougMcDonald

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/28/88)

> What is there in a portable computer or in a box of floppy disks that is going
> to be harmed by X-Rays?
>
> Wolf Paul
> ihnp4!killer!wnp

Some X-ray machines generate rather substantial magnetic fields -- it's
not the X-rays themselves that are of concern.

Clayton E. Cramer

windley@iris.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley) (01/28/88)

With all this talk about laptops and xrays going around, I'd like to
know what anyone can do about it.  If you want to take your laptop on
the plane, it will be xrayed.

--phil--

Phil Windley
Robotics Research Lab
University of California, Davis

jec@nesac2.UUCP (John Carter ATLN SADM) (01/28/88)

In article <3056@killer.UUCP>, wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) writes:
> In article <4426@garfield.UUCP> martyn@garfield.UUCP (Martyn Quigley) writes:
] ] At Heathrow I asked for it to be hand-checked.  They told me
] ]"No x-ray, no travel".  Since there were 6 of them and they were all bigger
] ]than me, the computer duly went through the x-ray machine.
] ]
]
] I did not understand it back when the discussion was going on, and I still
] don't understand it:
]
] What is there in a portable computer or in a box of floppy disks that is going
] to be harmed by X-Rays?
]
] Can anyone enlighten me with scientific reasons for this panic?
]
] What I am looking for is a scientific explanation of why X-Rays might damage
] a portable computer or other magnetic media.
]
] Wolf Paul
] ihnp4!killer!wnp

The x-rays themselves do minimal damage to magnetic media.  However, the
MAGNETIC focusing used to control the x-ray beam has the _potential_
to do great harm to magnetic media.
There is always the _possibility_ of damage from x-rays to any solid
state device, although the usual concern is for gamma or other
higher energy radiation (as in 'hardened' chips for military
applications).
--
USnail: John Carter, AT&T, Atlanta RWC, 3001 Cobb Parkway, Atlanta GA 30339
Video:	...ihnp4!cuea2!ltuxa!ll1!nesac2!jec    Voice: 404+951-4642

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (01/28/88)

In article <3056@killer.UUCP>, wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) writes:
> What is there in a portable computer or in a box of floppy disks that is going
> to be harmed by X-Rays?
> Can anyone enlighten me with scientific reasons for this panic?

I tend to agree with your skepticism, Wolf. The only reason I can think
of is that there must be one humungous power supply in those machines,
with associated transformers, etc. Although the X-rays may be unimportant,
perhaps it's the rest of the machine that should be watched.

--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

smvorkoetter@watmum.waterloo.edu (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) (01/28/88)

In article <2133@chinet.UUCP> briane@chinet.UUCP (Brian Ebert) writes:

>I frequently fly with a pc convertible.  It always gets x-rayed and I've
>never had a problem with the computer.  What bothers me is how the machine
>looks on the x-ray machine.  All that electronics and wire sure would
>make a good disguise for a bomb.

I once flew from Denver to Chicago to Toronto carrying an overnight bag
filled with wire, batteries, circuit boards, and chips, in a very jumbled
up and un-computerlike arrangement (sort of like a bomb).  These were all
parts of a project I was working on while in Colorado for the summer.  This
mess went through X-ray twice, and never did anyone ask any questions.  I
even saw it on the screen myself, and it looked as suspicious as you
could possibly imagine.  Gives you great confidence in airport security
doesn't it?

Stefan Vorkoetter
University of Waterloo

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (01/29/88)

There are at least two reasons why an X-Ray machine can be harmful
to your computer:

1) Very strong magnetic fields are used to generate X-rays. These
 could, in theory, damage the recordings on floppy disks.

2) The high energy of X-rays can damage semiconductors. Again, with
   enough intensity damage could occur to the contents of erasible
   programmable memories (EMPROMS or EEPROMS or EPLDS) or to the
   contents of battery backed up CMOS rams.

Has anyone had any real experience of an X-Ray machine causing harm
to a computer or floppy disk ?.  I think this is more mythical than
actual.

 ------  Mike Gingell  ...decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (01/29/88)

I have a friend who is a Captain for Japan Airlines.  For the last 6
years, he has been lugging computers through airport security and has
never lost a bit.  The computers were a Kaypro 10 and a Toshiba 3100.

He says it's safe.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

bobr@zeus.TEK.COM (Robert Reed) (01/29/88)

Anyone know what the effects might be of X-rays on EPROMS and EEROMS that might
be present in laptop computers pushed through airport security devices?
--
Robert Reed, Tektronix CAE Systems Division, bobr@zeus.TEK

Wingnut@cup.portal.com (01/29/88)

I have carried a Toshiba 3100 on a dozen or so flights now, and had
no trouble or problems as a result of sending it through the scanners.
In one situation, I was asked to remove it from the case and open it
up, but not power it on (in Bend, Oregon, of all places!)

I did recently have the microfloppy die on me (the unit is about 14 months
old and so just out of the 1 year warentee, but that is another story.)

I have had not hard disc troubles what so ever!

johnl@ima.ISC.COM (John R. Levine) (01/29/88)

In article <4514@ecsvax.UUCP> mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) writes:
>Has anyone had any real experience of an X-Ray machine causing harm
>to a computer or floppy disk ?.  I think this is more mythical than
>actual.

I used to travel on business a lot, and now and then I'd forget to take
floppy disks out of my briefcase, they'd X-Ray them, and they'd end up
unreadable when I arrived.  (For that and other reasons, we were encouraged
to mail ahead the important ones.)

The problem is that the various machines are adjusted to wildly different
field strengths.  I have them hand-inspect cameras and film, because although
it's true that most film won't be affected by correctly adjusted machines,
you never know the situation with machines that are run 20 hours a day by
largely unskilled (in radiography) operators.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (01/30/88)

You'd think that with all the curiosity and all the testimonals that
some laptop company ought to run some tests.  Any Toshiba/NEC/Zenith
representatives listening?  Be the first company to advertise that
your laptop is airport-safe!

Michael Volow, M.D.
Dept of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, N.C. 27705
919 286 0411                           mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (02/01/88)

> In article <2133@chinet.UUCP> briane@chinet.UUCP (Brian Ebert) writes:
> >
> >I frequently fly with a pc convertible.  It always gets x-rayed and I've
> >never had a problem with the computer.  What bothers me is how the machine
> >looks on the x-ray machine.  All that electronics and wire sure would
> >make a good disguise for a bomb.
>
> I once flew from Denver to Chicago to Toronto carrying an overnight bag
> filled with wire, batteries, circuit boards, and chips, in a very jumbled
> up and un-computerlike arrangement (sort of like a bomb).  These were all
> parts of a project I was working on while in Colorado for the summer.  This
> mess went through X-ray twice, and never did anyone ask any questions.  I
> even saw it on the screen myself, and it looked as suspicious as you
> could possibly imagine.  Gives you great confidence in airport security
> doesn't it?
>
> Stefan Vorkoetter
> University of Waterloo

Hell, no one's watching those things anyway.  I had a colleague who made a
practice of carrying a lead-lined bag in his carry on luggage.  The 21st
time he tried to board a plane, someone asked to look inside.

I'm not all surprised that 20% of FAA smuggled guns made it through.

Clayton E. Cramer

walt_waldo_novinger@cup.portal.com (02/01/88)

The problem with airport x-ray machines and magnetic media isn't the
x-rays; rather, it *can* be the strength of the magnetic fields
produced by the focussing magnets used to focus the x-rays onto the
items being checked.

I, too, have carried my laptop and diskettes through many airports,
and have never had a problem with lost data or trashed equipment.
According to the airlines, the magnetic fields are *much* lower than
was the case a few years ago.
Walt Novinger            sun!cup.portal.com!waldo    "The real world is
680 Sylvan Ave. #17      waldo@cup.portal.com         NOT user-friendly"
Mountain View, CA 94041  (415) 964-9377                 Kelvin Throop

apn@nonvon.uucp (Alex P Novickis) (02/02/88)

In article <961@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> windley@iris.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley) writes:
>With all this talk about laptops and xrays going around, I'd like to
>know what anyone can do about it.  If you want to take your laptop on
>the plane, it will be xrayed.
>
>--phil--
>
>Phil Windley
>Robotics Research Lab
>University of California, Davis

No need for X-rays.   I recently traveled from SFO to El Paso/TX and back
thru San Diego.   I hand carried a laptop with me... all the security
asked me to, after I refused to have it x-rayed, was to "Plug it in". I did,
and they watched the machine boot... and that apparently convinced their
naive little brains, that it was indeed not a bomb. Nor did it pose any
safety threat .... whatsoever.   Oh well.  And ... I suppose I could tell
you some stories about customs agents... but that is best left for another
posting.   After all this, I have such confidence in security, flying and
am totally amazed at how *ANYONE* could possible smuggle anything "dangerous"
onto a plane.  HA!!!

-Alex P Novickis
( Oh, and in this case, these opinions are my employers, as I am he )

--
Alex P Novickis [software engineering consultant]            +1 707 575 9616
UUCP: {ames,sun,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!nonvon!apn            CS: [76056,601]

wrp@biochsn.acc.virginia.edu (William R. Pearson) (02/06/88)

	I think it is very interesting how conjecture can turn into
rumor can turn into fact.  Has anyone on the net ever had the actual
experience of having an EPROM damaged by XRAY?  I would be very sur-
prised.  X-RAYS in airports are so weak that they do not damage film,
which is extraodinarily sensitive to light, including XRAYS (just
take some film to your dentist's).  EPROMS are very insensitive to
light, you have to shine a certain wavelength of UV light at a high
intensity for several minutes.

	I think the reason people are concerned about floppy disks and
airport XRAYs is the magnetic flux of the motors and possibly the ?
(coils, tubes) that generate the XRAYS, not the xrays themselves.  It
has been my experience that floppy disks are very difficult to damage,
I think that much of this advice err's on the side of caution.

Bill Pearson
wrp@virginia

ignatz@chinet.UUCP (Dave Ihnat) (02/07/88)

You *never* need to X-ray anything.  You may always explicitly request
a hand-search; and I've always invoked this when carrying my Z-171,
and later my Z-181, through airports around the country.  The search
you get is more, or less, cursory depending on the city and the
current state of the FAA checks.  Used to be just a visual, like a
briefcase; now, they require you to turn the machine on and display
something.  The most thorough search I've ever had was right here at
home, O'Hare.  They made me pull everything out of the carrying case,
open the diskette boxes, etc.  I let them X-ray the carrying case,
after the computer and diskettes were out, or else I would have had to
pull all the manuals, notes, etc.  (Of course, this was the weekend
after they were embarassed by the security check!)

I simply don't see the need to take any chance whatsoever with my
equipment and data by running it through the X-ray machine, especially
in smaller airports where the equipment may well be old enough to have
nice, powerful E-fields...

As an aside, you'll rarely have trouble getting permission to operate
a portable while in flight, either.  It's always at the captain's
discretion, by FAA regulation, to permit or forbid such operation, so
I always ask.  Although it was pointed out to me that on at least one
carrier--TWA--the captain *must* permit you to do so, by company
regulation; he showed me the relevant manual and section.  By
extension, I suspect some other carriers may have similar clauses; but
I've always found that extending the captain the courtesy of asking is
appreciated, even when he's supposed to have to say yes...
--
			Dave Ihnat
			ihnp4!homebru!ignatz || ihnp4!chinet!ignatz

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (02/12/88)

In article <1988Feb1.235615.2612@nonvon.uucp>, apn@nonvon.uucp (Alex P Novickis) writes:
> No need for X-rays.   I recently traveled from SFO to El Paso/TX and back
> thru San Diego.   I hand carried a laptop with me... all the security
> asked me to, after I refused to have it x-rayed, was to "Plug it in". I did,
> and they watched the machine boot... and that apparently convinced their
> naive little brains, that it was indeed not a bomb.

This matches my experience with a Compaq Plus, as well.

On a related topic: Once you get your (battery-powered) laptop on the plane
in the passenger compartment, can you use it in flight? I remember that
there was a section in the FARs that said that passengers were prohibited
from using any electronic devices; the rationale was that the magnetic field
generated would throw off the instrumentation.

Since then, though, I've read reviews of laptops comparing how useful they
were when balanced on the tray-table. This would imply that they could
indeed be used in flight.

Any enlightenment on this to be found?

(I included rec.aviation so that we could get some FAR experts involved.
Please edit the newsgroups: line when following up.)

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC (@WB5BBW)...>splut!< | GEnie: JAYMAYNARD  CI$: 71036,1603
uucp: {uunet!nuchat,academ!uhnix1,{ihnp4,bellcore,killer}!tness1}!splut!jay

root@yale.UUCP (Celray Stalk) (02/17/88)

possibly the pilot.  I take my Zenith everywhere and fly frequently,
and several times I've been on flights where the flight attendant or
captain specifically said not to use laptop computers during the
flight. This only happends on small, 20 to 30 seat airplanes.
  By the way,  I think the practice of having people turn on their
computer if they don't want it X-rayed is a universal guideline - I've
had it done all over the country and in Europe.
From: letsch-david@CS.YALE.EDU (David Letsch)

David Letsch

heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (02/18/88)

Jay Maynard (jay@splut.UUCP) writes:
> On a related topic: Once you get your (battery-powered) laptop on the plane
> in the passenger compartment, can you use it in flight?

I just got back from a trip to Dallas.  On each flight, I asked permission
to use the computer.  On the trip down, the Captain asked that I use it only
when the "seat belt" light was turned out.  On the trip back, I was told that
there would be no problem.

I think that (based on my own limited experience and some things I've read)
flight crews usually allow PCs to be used in flight.  At least until the use
of PCs is more widespread and commonplace on aircraft, it is a good idea to
ask permission first.  For my own safety, I want to be sure that the flight
crew knows that I have a PC and am using it, so if a problem does occur with
interference, they know where to go to get it shut off.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"Intel architectures build character."

jbrown@jplpub1.jpl.nasa.gov (Jordan Brown) (02/19/88)

In article <374@splut.UUCP> jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) writes:
>On a related topic: Once you get your (battery-powered) laptop on the plane
>in the passenger compartment, can you use it in flight? I remember that
>there was a section in the FARs that said that passengers were prohibited
>from using any electronic devices; the rationale was that the magnetic field
>generated would throw off the instrumentation.

The FARs say, essentially, that it's up to the Pilot In Command and the
operator (the airline) whether or not you can use "electronic devices".
This is true both for air carriers and for GA type airplanes.  I believe
that it's a coin flip out there whether some particular airline allows
them; ask first.  (my FARs are downstairs, so no chapter-and-verse, sorry.)

Magnetics aren't terribly important.  However, your computer (and most
complex electronics) is a pretty good radio transmitter, on quite a few
bands.  The theory is that this could screw up some of the more sensitive
navigation systems.  Apparently it doesn't seem to be a problem in real
life, or the FAA would flat out disallow them.

jbrown@jplpub1.jpl.nasa.gov (Jordan Brown) (02/20/88)

In article <5481@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> jbrown@jplpub1.UUCP (Jordan Brown) writes:
>In article <374@splut.UUCP> jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) writes:
>> [can you use laptops in flight?]
>
>The FARs say, essentially, that it's up to the Pilot In Command and the
>operator (the airline) whether or not you can use "electronic devices".
>This is true both for air carriers and for GA type airplanes.  I believe
>that it's a coin flip out there whether some particular airline allows
>them; ask first.  (my FARs are downstairs, so no chapter-and-verse, sorry.)

Well, I received one complaint saying that I was wrong, and I was, at least
partially.  Here's chapter and verse...

14 cfr 91.19 Portable electronic devices

(a)  Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may
operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of any aircraft allow
the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following
U.S. registered civil aircraft:
(1)  Aircraft operated by an air carrier or other commercial operator; or
(2)  Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.
(b)  Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to:
(1)  Portable voice recorders;
(2)  Hearing aids;
(3)  Heart pacemakers;
(4)  Electric shavers; or
(5)  Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft
has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or
communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.
(c)  In the case of an aircraft operated by an air carrier or commercial
operator, the determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section
shall be made by the air carrier or commercial operator of the aircraft
on which the particular device is to be used.  In the case of other
aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other
operator of the aircraft.

SO... you must have the airline's permission.  However, remember...

14 cfr 91.3 Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.
(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for,
and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

So if the PIC says NO, then that's the answer.  (Actually, if he says
YES, that's the answer too, but overriding the FARs in that direction
is frowned upon, whereas anything you can justify as being in the
interests of safety is more acceptable.)

As I said, ASK FIRST.  (oh well, bite my tongue.  I didn't ask the last
few times I've used one...)  The PIC is probably one of the best people
to ask, because it's his job and ticket (and life) that are on the line
if he says Yes when the real answer is No.  The agent at the counter is
less deeply steeped in these things, and (I would say) less likely to
know the *real* answer.

But why would anybody want to use a machine without a hard disk anyway?
Sleep, watch the movie, read a book, watch the scenery.  Plenty of time
to work on the ground.   :-)

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/22/88)

---- Concerning laptops on planes-----
>But why would anybody want to use a machine without a hard disk anyway?
>Sleep, watch the movie, read a book, watch the scenery.  Plenty of time
>to work on the ground.   :-)
Sleep? On an airplane? In a chair designed by the Marquis de Sade?

Movie? What movie? The Bad News Bears part XXXVII?

Scenery? What scenery? I'm in an aisle seat!

The answer is obvious: Infocom games!

ncperson@ndsuvax.UUCP (Missing Person) (02/25/88)

In article <45900111@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>---- Concerning laptops on planes-----
>>Sleep, watch the movie, read a book, watch the scenery.  Plenty of time
>>to work on the ground.   :-)
>Sleep? On an airplane? In a chair designed by the Marquis de Sade?
>Movie? What movie? The Bad News Bears part XXXVII?
>Scenery? What scenery? I'm in an aisle seat!
>The answer is obvious: Infocom games!

How 'bout Flight Simulator! YEAH!

-Missing