[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Epson MX-80 print head madness

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) (02/18/88)

For a printer which is supposed to have a 'disposable' print head, I find it
hard to believe that the replacement print head for my MX-80 costs well over
half of the purchase price of a brand-new printer!

I suppose I can't complain, having gotten 8 years of use out of a disposable
print-head, but still... I find it pretty hard to shell out $158 for a new
print head, when I can buy a new and faster printer with more features for
$300.

Would anybody out there have a dead MX-80 on their junk-pile with a live
print-head?  I'd be very grateful of finding some way of getting my printer
working on a students budget.  Anybody know of a cheap mail-order house that
would have these at a reasonable price???

Any help would be sincerely appreciated...

-dalegass@dalcsug.uucp

jhv@houxu.UUCP (James Van Ornum) (02/21/88)

> For a printer which is supposed to have a 'disposable' print head, I find it
> hard to believe that the replacement print head for my MX-80 costs well over
> half of the purchase price of a brand-new printer!
>                      ... I find it pretty hard to shell out $158 for a new
> print head, when I can buy a new and faster printer with more features for
> $300.

My recollection is that the replacement print head was to cost about $25.
Has the dynamics of the market place been such that it has risen to $158,
or is that the dealers price including installation?
-----------------------
	James Van Ornum, AT&T, houxu!jhv

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (02/21/88)

[deleted stuff about MX-80 print head costing $185]

I would be interested in the experience of others as to what print
heads cost in general.  The print head for my Okidata 92 cost $115
from Okidata (unavailable anywhere else) and I convinced myself to
replace it once.

I'll bet (but I don't know) printheads for 24-pin printers cost even
more, at a time in the printer's life when its original $400-500
value has depreciated to $175-250.  I know that other parts of the
printer wear too.  Is it worth replacing the printhead of a cheap,
good printer, such as the Panasonic KX1092i, which has a new street
price of about $200?

What do other net members think about whether it's worthwhile to repair
a printer?  I repaired mine because I just didn't want to buy another
printer at the time.

Michael Volow, M.D.
Dept of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, N.C. 27705
919 286 0411                           mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) (02/23/88)

In article <4641@ecsvax.UUCP>, mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) writes:

> I would be interested in the experience of others as to what print
> heads cost in general.  The print head for my Okidata 92 cost $115
> from Okidata (unavailable anywhere else) and I convinced myself to
> replace it once.

The head for my Okidata 192 cost $93.50.

When ordering it, the fellow said "Ah hah!  Ran it with a light
ribbon, hey?"

And, yes, that's what I had done.  Printed an 80-odd page document with
a ribbon that was light to begin with.  The print head went sour in
just minutes.  Turns out that print head wires get their lubrication
from oil in the ink of the ribbon.  What burns me is that there  is
not a peep about this in the printer manual.

Forrest Gehrke

david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) (02/24/88)

In article <22216@clyde.ATT.COM: feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) writes:
:In article <4641@ecsvax.UUCP:, mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) writes:
::
::
:
:The head for my Okidata 192 cost $93.50.
:
:When ordering it, the fellow said "Ah hah!  Ran it with a light
:ribbon, hey?"
:
:And, yes, that's what I had done.  Printed an 80-odd page document with
:a ribbon that was light to begin with.  The print head went sour in
:just minutes.  Turns out that print head wires get their lubrication
:from oil in the ink of the ribbon.  What burns me is that there  is
:not a peep about this in the printer manual.
:
:Forrest Gehrke

A word from the trenches:

	Before replacing the head, try cleaning it with a squirt of
Television Tuner Cleaner --- cleans the black gunk off the pins and
lubricates the whole assembly. Saved my *ss a number of times!

-david-
--
David Haynes
Geac Computers International Inc.

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (02/24/88)

In article <22216@clyde.ATT.COM> feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) writes:
>The head for my Okidata 192 cost $93.50.
>
>When ordering it, the fellow said "Ah hah!  Ran it with a light
>ribbon, hey?"
>
>And, yes, that's what I had done.  Printed an 80-odd page document with
>a ribbon that was light to begin with.  The print head went sour in
>just minutes.  Turns out that print head wires get their lubrication
>from oil in the ink of the ribbon.  What burns me is that there  is
>not a peep about this in the printer manual.

I used to have an old Okidata, and the manual explicitly warned against
using non-Oki ribbons because their ink might not contain the lubricant
(this was the old style Okidata with spool-ribbons almost like oldfashioned
typewriter ribbons).

By extension one could deduce from that that running the printer with a light
ribbon or without a ribbon was not a good idea, either, but it did not expressly
say so.

I guess now when Oki has its own cartridge ribbon they feel that it's not
important enough to mention it in the manual.

--
Wolf N. Paul                  Phone: (214) 306-9101 (h)   (214) 404-8077 (w)
3387 Sam Rayburn Run          UUCP: ihnp4!killer!{dcs, doulos}!wnp

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (02/25/88)

> When ordering it, the fellow said "Ah hah!  Ran it with a light
> ribbon, hey?"
> And, yes, that's what I had done.  Printed an 80-odd page document with
> a ribbon that was light to begin with.  The print head went sour in
> just minutes.  Turns out that print head wires get their lubrication
> from oil in the ink of the ribbon.  What burns me is that there  is
> not a peep about this in the printer manual.

I have never seen any printer manual warn against print head damage
with light ribbons.  But using fresh ribbons sounds like good advice
for prolonging dot matrix print head life.  I have seen comments that
OEM ribbons were longer lasting than bulk computer equipment supply
company ribbons.

Michael Volow, M.D.
Dept of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, N.C. 27705
919 286 0411                           mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

ges@pyr.gatech.EDU (GERALD E. SULLIVAN) (02/25/88)

I read somewhere that wd-40 will revive a weak (light) ribbon.
It does work and it should lube the head. I have had the same ribbon
for almost a year in an Oki 192 and it has been revived twice.
The print quality is not very good but it doesn't matter because I
have a new ribbon I use when print quality is important.