[comp.sys.ibm.pc] UNIX to PC binary file transfer

murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) (02/22/88)

Could someone tell me how to transfer files from unix to the PC?
I am running PC-VT on my PC and kermit (of course) on the unix side.
PC-VT allows you to shell to MS-KERMIT.  I can't seem to get the
sequence of events down...  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.
--

   ----------- Rodrigo Murillo, UC - Boulder  (303)761-0410 -----------
   murillo@boulder.Colorado.EDU   -or-  ..{hao|nbires}!boulder!murillo

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/23/88)

In article <4433@sigi.Colorado.EDU> murillo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) writes:
>Could someone tell me how to transfer files from unix to the PC?

This really depends on the UNIX setup that you connect to.  Some
systems require more effort than others.

Most UNIX systems run at 7 bits per ASCII character, versus 8 bits
which transfer protocols such as XMODEM require.  Kermit can be set to
use 7 bits.

If your emulator allows you to run a kermit from within it (via a
shell escape or whatever), then you should run the UNIX kermit (via
kermit -s) then run the local kermit, set it to the same parameters as
the UNIX kermit, and ask for files.  The rest should be automatic.

See your kermit documentation for more specific information on which
parameters do what and how to set them.

Some problems that you might encounter include other networks between
your telephone and the UNIX machine (these can eat characters,
causing real problems with transfer programs) and incompatibility
between the kermits.  You should be careful to make sure your kermit
is set to the same parameters as the kermit on UNIX.

Good luck,

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

glass@a.cs.okstate.edu (Donnie Glass) (02/24/88)

in article <4433@sigi.Colorado.EDU>, murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) says:

> Could someone tell me how to transfer files from unix to the PC?
> I am running PC-VT on my PC and kermit (of course) on the unix side.
> PC-VT allows you to shell to MS-KERMIT.  I can't seem to get the
> sequence of events down...  Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.
> appreciated.

After you get into MS-KERMIT, type   CONNECT  to connect you to the unix
system.  Next, inside the unix-KERMIT, type   SEND filename  [RETURN].
Escape back to your local system (it's probably CTRL-']' 'C' or a similar
keystroke sequence) and, at MS-KERMIT type  RECEIVE filename [RETURN].
When the transfer is complete, type  EXIT  at both kermit prompts.

If you wish to upload files to the unix machine, just reverse the
send/receive commands (i.e., type  RECEIVE  on the unix machine and
SEND  on your pc).

D. J. Glass
Oklahoma State University
Dept. of Computer Science
(glass@a.cs.okstate.edu)

David_T_Lawlor@cup.portal.com (02/24/88)

Get something called CTRM -- public domain may be on Genie.

Use it all the time -- works great! Translates files between Sun, Apollo,
Vax (ultrix) and DOS. Binary transfers as well as ascii. Auto converts ascii.

SUpplies you with a C program to act as a slave server on the Unix side
for complete compatability.

If can't find it anywhere let me know.....

davel@cup.portal.com

hoctor@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (02/24/88)

Ditto on my part.  I am having troubles doing binary transfers from my
PC to a dialup UNIX host.  I am using Crosstalk Mk. 4 which has Kermit
capability (along with many others).  Could you please post solutions
here?
Thanx
hoctor@osiris

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (02/26/88)

In article <4433@sigi.Colorado.EDU>, murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) writes:
> Could someone tell me how to transfer files from unix to the PC?
> I am running PC-VT on my PC and kermit (of course) on the unix side.
> PC-VT allows you to shell to MS-KERMIT.  I can't seem to get the
> sequence of events down...  Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

1.)  bring up C-Kermit on unix
1.5) change packet size if you want (recommended 500-1000 bytes)
2.)  If the file is binary, at the C-Kermit prompt type:
         set file type binary
3.)  next type:
         send <filename>
     replacing <filename> with your file name you want to send
5.)  drop to MS-KERMIT
5.5) set packet size to same as unix if you changed it
6.)  type in:
         rec

MS-Kermit should do the rest . . . good luck!

--
Phil Ritzenthaler			|USnail: University Computer Services
Computer Graphics Research Consultant   |        241 Math-Science Bldg.