[comp.sys.ibm.pc] QVT - a VT220 Emulator...

indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra K. Singhal) (02/15/88)

I just got QVT23 running on my AST Premium/286 with a Multitech
224EH Modem.

Before I speak of problems... I think QVT does an excellent job of
terminal emulation.  I no longer have the "noscroll after cursor is
on line 24" problem in vi that I have with vt100 emulation done by
Kermit 2.28, 2.29B, 2.29C and even 2.30. (BTW, if you have solutions
please let me know.)

Back to QVT: Problems are during Kermit file transfer. I was able to
(by fluke) do one transfer (text) successfully. Some how, the transfer
always got hung and never started. I could see the SD and RD lights
trying to ack/nak but unsuccessfully. I connect to a VAX 11/780
running 4.3. 7-E-1. (which precludes me from using XMODEM).

Furthermore, QVT does not allow user to specify a modem init string.
QVT also changes the modem to return 'numeric' return codes instead
of verbose. In my case I need to make my Multitech modem "dumb" by
switching it to "hayes" mode... but I need to send it a string !

While the pull-down menu interface is great, I'd like to see the user
have more control over the modem and the session.

--
                                      | If you keep saying it          |
Indra K. Singhal		      |        the way it really is... |

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (02/18/88)

In article <20384@amdcad.AMD.COM> indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra K. Singhal) writes:
:Before I speak of problems... I think QVT does an excellent job of
:terminal emulation.  I no longer have the "noscroll after cursor is
:on line 24" problem in vi that I have with vt100 emulation done by
:Kermit 2.28, 2.29B, 2.29C and even 2.30. (BTW, if you have solutions
:please let me know.)

Indeed QVT has an excellent VT1xx emulation.  It does fairly well on
VTTEST, almost as well as ZCOMM and very much better than the old and
new Procomm.  It would do even better if it could switch the display
in and out of 132 column mode with a definable video BIOS call.

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (02/21/88)

In article <641@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>In article <20384@amdcad.AMD.COM> indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra K. Singhal) writes:
>:Before I speak of problems... I think QVT does an excellent job of
>:terminal emulation.  I no longer have the "noscroll after cursor is
>:on line 24" problem in vi that I have with vt100 emulation done by
>:Kermit 2.28, 2.29B, 2.29C and even 2.30. (BTW, if you have solutions
>:please let me know.)
>
>Indeed QVT has an excellent VT1xx emulation.  It does fairly well on
>VTTEST, almost as well as ZCOMM and very much better than the old and
>new Procomm.  It would do even better if it could switch the display
>in and out of 132 column mode with a definable video BIOS call.

Ha!

It blew sky-high on our Vaxen here trying to run EDT and the like.... as
well as some custom software that only likes real VT100s and VERY good
clones.

One simple-to-find limitation -- no double high/wide characters.

It also has problems with some of the screen bordering that the VAX does in
one of the packages, and drops the right-side border entirely.

All in all, back to SmartTerm for us....

-----
Karl Denninger		       |  Data: +1 312 566-8912
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc. | Voice: +1 312 566-8910
...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl	       | "Quality solutions for work or play"

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/22/88)

  >Ok everyone, we went through this just a few weeks ago.

  >This is NOT comp.sys.ibm.pc where text should be posted in response
  >to binaries that came across the net, this is where binaries are
  >posted, hence the name comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

  >So STOP POSTING TEXT.
Oh yea? Really? The heading I see at the top of the page says
"comp.sys.ibm.pc" .

catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu (Tony Catone) (02/27/88)

In article <747@ddsw1.UUCP> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
>In article <641@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>>In article <20384@amdcad.AMD.COM> indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra K. Singhal) writes:
>>:Before I speak of problems... I think QVT does an excellent job of
>>:terminal emulation.  I no longer have the "noscroll after cursor is
>>Indeed QVT has an excellent VT1xx emulation.  It does fairly well on
>Ha!
>
>It blew sky-high on our Vaxen here trying to run EDT and the like.... as
>well as some custom software that only likes real VT100s and VERY good
>clones.
>All in all, back to SmartTerm for us....

Speaking of VT100 emulators, PC/Intercom by what was Mark of the Unicorn
and what is now (I believe) Final Word Corp. is one of the nicest I've
ever seen.  It consistently rates well in those reviews that include it
(advertising was never MoTU's strong point, so it isn't as well known as
it should be).  Great emulation (no double-height/double width or 132 col.
mode, though), runs all the grungy VT100 specific stuff that VMS can
throw at it just fine, also fine with Ultrix and BSD 4.2 vt100 drivers.
Kermit, XModem and ASCII transfers, along with their own format; very
configurable.  Only thing I really miss is a strong scripting language,
a la Cross-Talk or LC-Term.  Maybe next release.

					- Tony
					  catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu
					  catone@wharton.upenn.edu