[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ROGUE FORWARDER

rjg@ruby.TEK.COM (Richard J. Greco) (02/24/88)

I think the problem is harder then you think.  On my news feed SOME of
the posted binaries wind up in comp.sys.ibm.pc and some of them wind
up in the binaries group.  For instance the recent posting of the ZOO
archiver, part one was in comp.sys.ibm.pc, the remaining parts were in
the binaries group.  The same thing happened with nethack and moria
binaries.

If there was an errent mailer, wouldn't all of a posting wind up in
the wrong group rather then selected pieces?

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/24/88)

In article <479@ruby.TEK.COM> rjg@ruby.UUCP (Richard J. Greco) writes:
>I think the problem is harder then you think.  On my news feed SOME of
>the posted binaries wind up in comp.sys.ibm.pc and some of them wind
>up in the binaries group.  For instance the recent posting of the ZOO
>archiver, part one was in comp.sys.ibm.pc, the remaining parts were in
>the binaries group.  The same thing happened with nethack and moria
>binaries.
>
>If there was an errent mailer, wouldn't all of a posting wind up in
>the wrong group rather then selected pieces?

You may be misunderstanding the layout of USENET.  From what I
understand, USENET sites (in particular ARPA sites) often receive
their news from multiple sources.  News is checked for duplicates and
any duplicate articles are ignored.  If for some reason articles find
their way between USENET sites at different speeds, it is possible to
get USENET postings (even those in a chain) in different orders from
different sources.  This could cause the observed behavior.

As for whether or not a problem exists, I'd bet on it.  Someone
commented to me that 2 of my "proff" postings ended up in
comp.sys.ibm.pc (where I sent them) and one in comp.binaries.ibm.pc
(which I never touched).  I'm quite sure I posted them consistently.
I've also run across jumbled postings.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (02/27/88)

In article <479@ruby.TEK.COM> rjg@ruby.UUCP (Richard J. Greco) writes:
>I think the problem is harder then you think.  On my news feed SOME of
>the posted binaries wind up in comp.sys.ibm.pc and some of them wind
>up in the binaries group.

The problem has been located.  When Brandon Alberry stepped down as
moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc, he asked the backbones to make
"comp.binaries.ibm.pc" an alias to "comp.sys.ibm.pc".  Apparently this
alias still existed on some sites.  Articled posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc, when they passed through such sites, moved to
comp.sys.ibm.pc.

Depending on speed of propagation, an article might move through such a
site first, or through a different site first.  So it would appear in
one or the other newsgroup depending on the path it took getting to
you.  This is possible because there is some redundancy in the
network.

The backbones were sent a message by hao!woods (Greg Woods) requesting
that the alias be removed.  The problem should be fixed already.

This article is cross-posted to both comp.binaries.ibm.pc and
comp.sys.ibm.pc.  If it appears only in comp.sys.ibm.pc when you see
it, then the problem is still not fixed.  (However, follow-ups are
directed to comp.sys.ibm.pc only.)
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi