[comp.sys.ibm.pc] yet another procomm question

norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (02/26/88)

I've written a procomm (2.4.2) script that logs a user into the UNIX
system, then goes into an idle loop waiting for the user to type the
command for file transfer when it takes over, prompts for a file name,
and does the transfer without the user having to change line
parameters and such. The only problem is that there appears to be no
way for the user to send and ASCII ESC from the keyboard (to end input
mode in vi) while the script is running. Pressing the ESC key
terminates the script. Is there any way to get around this?
--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

laba-5ac@web7f.berkeley.edu (Erik Talvola) (02/28/88)

In article <398@ontenv.UUCP> norm@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
>I've written a procomm (2.4.2) script that logs a user into the UNIX
>system, then goes into an idle loop waiting for the user to type the
>command for file transfer when it takes over, prompts for a file name,
>and does the transfer without the user having to change line
>parameters and such. The only problem is that there appears to be no
>way for the user to send and ASCII ESC from the keyboard (to end input
>mode in vi) while the script is running. Pressing the ESC key
>terminates the script. Is there any way to get around this?

I can think of two things which may or may not solve your problem.  The
first thing to try would be to enter an Alt-027 from the keypad (that
means hold down Alt and enter the three keys 0 2 7 on the keypad) and
see if that works.  If that doesn't, try making one of the keyboard macro
keys into an ESC and see if you can use that to transmit an ESC.  I have
tried neither of these two methods, but it seems like this should work.

Erik Talvola          laba-5ac@widow.berkeley.edu

"To err is human... to moo bovine."