[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Info needed: 12MHz 0-wait AT clone from Computer Products United

kevin@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Kevin Tubbs) (02/24/88)

I am considering purchase of what appears to be a nice AT clone.  Details:
Sold by: Computer Products United, Irwindale, CA
  Price: $995
Includes: 12Mhz 0-wait 286 CPU w/512K 80ns RAM
          1.2 MB floppy
          Dual floppy/hard controlelr
          101-key keyboard
          2 serial, 1 parallel, game port
          USA made (assembled, maybe)
          Phoenix BIOS

Compared to anything else I could find in the magazines, this sounded quite
a bit cheaper than any other comparable system.

Does anyone have experience with this company or the computer?

marty@june.cs.washington.edu (Marty Sirkin) (02/25/88)

In article <206@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU>, kevin@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Kevin Tubbs) writes:
> I am considering purchase of what appears to be a nice AT clone.  Details:
> Sold by: Computer Products United, Irwindale, CA

> Does anyone have experience with this company or the computer?

Yep.  I ordered and installed one of their machines for a friend.  The people
at the company were helpful and friendly.  The machine arrived on time and
has had no trouble whatsoever.  The configuration she ordered also had 1 MB
of memory (640/384), and a 40 Meg Seagate ST-251-A (fast) hard drive.  In
fact when they accidently forgot to package in the disk partitioning software
they shipped it up here next day air.

The only problem that she has had with the machine had to do with ordering.
The company had no 0 wait state machines when she called (they were waiting
for parts).  They gave her the choice of waiting or of taking a 12Mhz/1 wait
state.  This was at Christmas time so presumably the backorder problem has
been fixed.  So I can make no comments about the 12 Mhz/0 wait state, but
the company seems to be on the level.  Hope this helps.

						Marty Sirkin

mdm@cocktrice.uucp (Mike Mitchell) (02/28/88)

In article <4280@june.cs.washington.edu> marty@june.cs.washington.edu (Marty Sirkin) writes:
>In article <206@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU>, kevin@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Kevin Tubbs) writes:
>> Sold by: Computer Products United, Irwindale, CA
>Yep.  I ordered and installed one of their machines for a friend.  The people

I bought a Baby AT mother board from these guys. They are kind of dorky, but
they have been able to get me the information that I needed after a few
phone calls. They are at least willing to try and help out in getting you
fixed up, but if they don't manage it the first time, it is a good idea
to keep on them.

Initially I had problems with the motherboard I got; it would give me parity
errors and not count the correct amount of RAM. I wound up trading some of
my chips with a friend to see if we could figure out the bad ones. I now
have all of his chips, and he has all of mine. We have been both running
no problem for a couple of months now. I guess there was something flakey
with the timing in the motherboard. Oh well, it works fine now and the
guys at CPU were kind of helpful in getting this figured out.

Hopefully they have found a source for less flakey Baby boards..

--
Mike Mitchell
mdm@cocktrice.uucp