[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PKARC patch for SEA compatibility sought

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (02/27/88)

I know I can use the /oct option to prevent PKARC from using
sqashing.  But someone just mentioned a patch to make this permanent.
I would like this so that I don't have to remember to type /oct
every time I make an archive.

Somebody please post the patch.  BUT FIRST check to see that it
has not yet been posted.  You are not the first to respond to this
article.  (Well, someone is but probably not you.)

Tom Reingold                    INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research    UUCP:           rutgers!bellcore!tr
435 South St room 2L350         SOUNDNET:       (201) 829-4622 [work]
Morristown, NJ 07960                            (201) 287-2345 [home]

Geoffrey_Welsh@watmath.waterloo.edu (02/27/88)

 > I know I can use the /oct option to prevent PKARC from using
 > sqashing.  But someone just mentioned a patch to make this permanent.
 > I would like this so that I don't have to remember to type /oct
 > every time I make an archive.

   File ARCADD.BAT:

PKARC -oct %1 %2 %3 %4 %5...

   You get the idea?

   Why must people always go for the hard solution (code patches?)

   Geoff ( watmath!fido!221.171!izot )

P.S.: Last time I tried a patch for PKARC/PKXARC (direct from Phil Katz!) it
ended up leaving PKXARC less than 100% reliable.

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: The Waterloo Window: WOC's out there? (1:221/171)

jjboritz@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim Boritz) (02/29/88)

In article <5730@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>I know I can use the /oct option to prevent PKARC from using
>sqashing.  But someone just mentioned a patch to make this permanent.
>I would like this so that I don't have to remember to type /oct
>every time I make an archive.

This is not a patch.  It is simply a set of commands extracted from the
PKARC documentation which describes how you can go about achieving backward
compatibility from PKARC to Sea ARC.  It requires one file and one
environment variable.  Put the environment variable in your autoexec.bat
file and your problems :-) will be solved.

1.  The environment variable PKARC.CFG tells PKARC where to look for a
configuration file with the same name.  So if the file PKARC.CFG is in the
directory c:\FOO\BAR do this.
SET PKARC.CFG=C:\FOO\BAR

2.  The contents of the PKARC.CFG file determine what compatibility options
are used.  To get the backward compatibility desired the file should have
the following two lines in it.

SQUASH=DISABLE
ARCTIME=LATEST

That's all there is to it.