[comp.sys.ibm.pc] firsdt PC

nelson_p@apollo.uucp (02/29/88)

 'Tim' writes:

>I bought a  10 megahertz/0 wait  state AT clone  with a  1.2  megabyte
>floppy drive, a Seagate  ST215 40 megabyte  hard disk, 640K of memory,
>hercules compatible graphics, a monochrome monitor, and a  serial port
>from a clone shop up the street for just $1600.
>
>I do know machines very well, and there  were some minor problems with
>the hardware.  Since the technicians at the clone shop are pretty bad,
>a   typical  user would probably have  some  real trouble  in the same
>circumstance.
>
>My point is  that you are  planning to spend  the same amount of money
>for a far inferior (three  times slower)  machine.  I  have seen  8088
>machines that can be purchased complete for about $400.
>
>Good luck,

  I don't see how your 'point' follows from your previous paragraph.
  It seems to me that the chance of problems would increase with
  bargain basement systems.  I don't want ANY problems.  Leading Edge
  is a major brand (they're currently 4th in market share behind IBM,
  Tandy, and Compaq) and they have a very extensive dealer network and
  a 20 month warranty.  Their headquarters is also relatively local to
  me so if worse comes to worse I can have it out with someone there
  face to face.

  BTW, I've never seen a PC clone with monitor, 512K RAM and
  a 20 Meg drive for anywhere near $400.  Perhaps you could
  mention specific names?

  ON ANOTHER NOTE:

  I was toying with the idea of getting this system with only a 3.5"
  floppy (and the 20 Meg drive) and forgetting about a 5.25" drive.
  I'm not really interested in 'shareware' and games, which seem
  like the main things not yet available on 3.5".  Is 3.5" the
  wave of the future or do people still regard it a just a marketing
  experiment at this point?

                                         --Peter Nelson