[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MKS ls -C slowness

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (02/28/88)

In article <2330@cognos.UUCP> brianc@cognos.UUCP (Brian Campbell) writes:
 >In article <811@athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick)
 >writes:
 >> The other odd thing is that I
 >> had a performance problem with their "ls".  I like ls to produce
 >> columnated output, as it does under BSD.  They supply a -C option, so I
 >> figured I'd just alias ls to ls -C.  That works, but is very slow.
 >
 >I noticed  this too, although I  never took the  time to figure out  why. I
 >have also  resorted to  using "ls  -x" (although, I  would much  prefer the
 >sorted-down format). Thanks for the explanation.

It's slow because "ls -C" uses "c.exe" to columnize its output. I use the MKS
Toolkit with the Beckemeyer Development Tools "Micro C-Shell", which has
"ls", and the "-C" option, built-in, and is thus much faster.

I wish though that the MKS "ls" had the "-C" option built-in rather than using
an external program, since I prefer it to the Micro C-Shell "ls" for other
reasons -- but until they fix it, speed is the deciding factor.
--
Wolf N. Paul                  Phone: (214) 306-9101 (h)   (214) 404-8077 (w)
3387 Sam Rayburn Run          UUCP: ihnp4!killer!{dcs, doulos}!wnp

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (02/29/88)

In article <35@dcs.UUCP>, wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
> It's slow because "ls -C" uses "c.exe" to columnize its output.  I wish
> though that the MKS "ls" had the "-C" option built-in rather than using
> an external program.

Your wish is our command.  :-) We have had enough comments about this
that the next version of ls will have the columnizer built in, instead
of calling c.exe. We're still testing it, though, so please don't call
for it now.
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels