[comp.sys.ibm.pc] QEdit vs. tabs

grandi@noao.arizona.edu (Steve Grandi) (02/27/88)

I've been playing with QEdit for a couple of days to see how I like this
small, fast editor.  Version 2.00 of this shareware editor has a lot of
nice features and I was seriously considering retiring the sometimes
ponderous PC/VI to a floppy in favor of QEdit.  Then I edited a file
destined for tbl (the Unix table program) and noticed that all my tabs had
disappeared.  Reading the manual leads me to the conclusion that QEdit
converts hard tabs into the equivalent number of spaces when a file is read
into memory for editing and, furthermore, there is no way to insert a hard
tab.

Am I missing something?  Seems a shame to toss QEdit because of a lack of
hard tabs!
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4}!noao!grandi  or  uunet!noao.arizona.edu!grandi

dsnow@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Doug Snow) (02/29/88)

In article <668@noao.UUCP> grandi@noao.arizona.edu (Steve Grandi) writes:
>into memory for editing and, furthermore, there is no way to insert a hard
>tab.
>
>Am I missing something?  Seems a shame to toss QEdit because of a lack of
>hard tabs!

Yup, at least in versions before 2.0 you can toggle tab expansion on or off
with ^qt. The default is defined under qconfig.

Doug Snow, ACO, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario.

     dsnow@{watdcsu||watpix}.waterloo.EDU   ...!watmath!watdcsu!dsnow
     dougsnow@watdcs.NETNORTH dsnow@wataco.BITNET
     doug@artspas.watstar.waterloo.EDU

grandi@noao.arizona.edu (Steve Grandi) (03/01/88)

In article <4471@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> dsnow@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Doug Snow) writes:
>Yup, at least in versions before 2.0 you can toggle tab expansion on or off
>with ^qt. The default is defined under qconfig.

A quick perusal of qconfig shows no such tab expansion option in 2.0.
Pity, all the other features in 2.0 are quite nice.