[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ProComm Plus DEL/BS

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (Bug-Hunter) (02/18/88)

I have just recieved ProComm Plus Test Drive from Simtel20, and started
using it last night. All I can say is WOW!! It does everything ProComm 2.4.2
could do, does it better, and does more!!!

The only complaint: The delete key. In 2.4.2, you could define what code the
backspace key sent (DEL, BS, or CHR(127)), but the only choices I've found
from ProComm+ is DESTRUCTIVE/NON-DESTRUCTIVE, and if I try and use it while
online, I get ^H's, which UNIX interprets as a character in the command
line. Anybody have an idea or patch for this??

Thanx in advance.

Brian O'Neill					University of Lowell
boneill@hawk.cs.ulowell.edu   -   boneill@hawk.UUCP
..!ulowell!hawk!boneill

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/18/88)

In article <2945@swan.ulowell.edu> boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (Bug-Hunter) writes:
>The only complaint: The delete key. In 2.4.2, you could define what code the
>backspace key sent (DEL, BS, or CHR(127)), but the only choices I've found
>from ProComm+ is DESTRUCTIVE/NON-DESTRUCTIVE, and if I try and use it while
>online, I get ^H's, which UNIX interprets as a character in the command
>line. Anybody have an idea or patch for this??

No idea how to patch it, but I'd say a simple solution is 'stty erase
^H' on the UNIX system.  Of course, most editors won't like it but it
makes life a lot more reasonable on the command line and may help you
out until someone comes up with a patch.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) (02/18/88)

In article <2945@swan.ulowell.edu> boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (Bug-Hunter) writes:
>In 2.4.2, you could define what code the
>backspace key sent (DEL, BS, or CHR(127)), but the only choices I've found
>from ProComm+ is DESTRUCTIVE/NON-DESTRUCTIVE

I found a slightly different problem that annoys me, though I suspect I
know what the solution is for both.

I tried the tvi* and wyse* terminal emulations, and found that backspace
keys sends ^H (which I want), the del key doesn't send ^?, which I DO want.
(I played and found that ctrl-backspace does, but I don't consider this
acceptable; I use ^? for interrupt and I WANT it to be one keystroke.)
Vt102 mode sets it up this way -- but then I don't get character insert/delete
via escape codes (argh!).  So I looked at the various screens until I noticed
one that says it redefines keys (alt-F5 maybe?).  It said it wasn't
available in the test drive version.

So does anyone out there with "real" procomm+ care to comment on whether
this will work to redefine the bs key to send out what we want?  Or the
del key to send out ^? ?  And can I use that to redefine my keys such
that the `/~ key sends out escape, and the escape keys sends out `/~ ?

Would it allow swapping control and caps lock keys (for those hideous
keyboards with capslock next to 'A')?
--

Andrew Burt 				   			isis!aburt

              Fight Denver's pollution:  Don't Breathe and Drive.

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (02/19/88)

In article <2945@swan.ulowell.edu> boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (Bug-Hunter) writes:
>The only complaint: The delete key. In 2.4.2, you could define what code the
>backspace key sent (DEL, BS, or CHR(127)), but the only choices I've found
>from ProComm+ is DESTRUCTIVE/NON-DESTRUCTIVE, and if I try and use it while
>online, I get ^H's, which UNIX interprets as a character in the command
>line. Anybody have an idea or patch for this??

No problem. Just use "stty" to change your erase character.

If you are using the bourne shell, the command looks like this:

    stty erase ^h          #  shift-6 h

and when using the C shell, it looks like this:

    stty erase \^h         #  same as above, but ^ must be escaped with \.

BTW, CHAR(127) is the same as DEL, and on UNIX systems is sometimes also
shown as ^?.

Wolf Paul
wnp@killer
wnp@dcs

jvc@prism.UUCP (02/24/88)

>/* Written  7:28 pm  Feb 17, 1988 by boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu.UUCP */
>/* ---------- "ProComm Plus DEL/BS" ---------- */
>I have just recieved ProComm Plus Test Drive from Simtel20, and started
>using it last night. All I can say is WOW!! It does everything ProComm 2.4.2
>could do, does it better, and does more!!!
>
>The only complaint: The delete key. In 2.4.2, you could define what code the
>backspace key sent (DEL, BS, or CHR(127)), but the only choices I've found

Note: DEL is CHR(127).

>from ProComm+ is DESTRUCTIVE/NON-DESTRUCTIVE, and if I try and use it while
>online, I get ^H's, which UNIX interprets as a character in the command
>line. Anybody have an idea or patch for this??

No patch necessary.  In the real version you can redefine the codes
sent by the keys for the various emulations.  From within procomm plus
press ALT-F8 (outside procomm plus, execute the command pckeymap), use
the space bar until the emulator you want to change is displayed on
the screen (eg, vt102), press the backspace key, press ctrl-backspace,
press return, press ESC, press y, and now you're back in procomm and
the backspace key now sends DEL (represented as ^? in unix).
Jim Champeaux	jvc@mirror.TMC.COM
		{mit-eddie, ihnp4, wjh12, cca, cbosgd, seismo}!mirror!jvc
Mirror Systems,	2067 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02140
Telephone:	(617) 661-0777

rickr@nscpdc.NSC.COM (Rick Riverman) (02/25/88)

It looks like the folks at DATASTORM are maturing into fine American
Capitalists.  If you will look closely at the documentation that came with
ProcommPlus, you will notice that what you are running is NOT the real
ProcommPlus, but a stripped down version.  The REAL product which may be
ordered from DATASTORM has a keyboard mapping feature which was one of the
deficiencies of the original Procomm 2.42. I have an idea that this mapping
feature will let you map any key with any code you want. But you gotta
PAY for it.

My preliminary tests of ProcommPlus show that it won't transfer files to
a UNIX system using Kermit.  Procomm 2.42 does this just fine.  If you attempt
to transfer a file to a UNIX system with Kermit set to receive, ProcommPlus
will NOT terminate the kermit receiver when the transfer is complete.  This
is quite an inconvenience because you are left with a UNIX connection stuck
in kermit protocol that must time out before you can continue.

So much for Capitalists...

laba-5ac@web8b.berkeley.edu (Erik Talvola) (02/27/88)

  One irritating "feature" I have found in Procomm Plus has to do with the
way it handles aborts of dials.  If the phone is ringing, but you want to
abort it, you say "well, just hit <ESC> and it will stop."  Well, it stops
Procomm all right but it doesn't hang up the modem, which means that you
have to go back into terminal mode and hit a <CR> to stop it.  Maybe there
is a setup command to do this, but it didn't seem like it.  I am using an
Everex 2400 baud modem (a standard Hayes command set clone) and I am
wondering how to fix this.

Flames to /dev/null...

Erik Talvola          laba-5ac@widow.berkeley.edu

"To err is human... to moo bovine."

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (02/29/88)

The thing that bothered me about Procomm Plus was that the XON/XOFF appears
to be permanently ON!  This bugs the hell out of me because emacs requires
^X^S in order to save a file.  GRRR...

Also when I'm uploading to the VAX in kermit mode and I use a wildcard for
the filename it leaves the VAX expecting another file and I have to wait for
it to time out.

All in all, the "Test Drive" has NOT been that impressive (esp. without a
built in Zmodem).

jvc@prism.TMC.COM (03/01/88)

>/* Written  4:49 pm  Feb 24, 1988 by rickr@nscpdc.UUCP in comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>My preliminary tests of ProcommPlus show that it won't transfer files to
>a UNIX system using Kermit. Procomm 2.42 does this just fine.  If you attempt
>to transfer a file to a UNIX system with Kermit set to receive, ProcommPlus
>will NOT terminate the kermit receiver when the transfer is complete.  This
>is quite an inconvenience because you are left with a UNIX connection stuck
>in kermit protocol that must time out before you can continue.

Correct, it does not terminate and this is a bug.  If you are a
registered user of Procomm 2.42 or Procomm Plus then your have access
to their board for REGISTERED users (which is different than the one
that's available for non-registered users) and you can download the
patch (don't forget to download the program that applies the patch).
There are also 4 other patches.  One corrects the EGA problem, one
increases speed of screen displays, one corrects the problem
with the enter key in half duplex, and I forget what the other one
does.
Don't forget, registered users have 5 free voice technical support
calls during the first 90 (or is it 60) days.  If what you call about
is really a bug then the call is not deducted from your 5 free calls.
Jim Champeaux	jvc@mirror.TMC.COM
		{mit-eddie, ihnp4, wjh12, cca, cbosgd, seismo}!mirror!jvc
Mirror Systems,	2067 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02140
Telephone:	(617) 661-0777

jvc@prism.TMC.COM (03/01/88)

>/* Written  7:04 pm  Feb 26, 1988 by laba-5ac@web8b.berkeley.edu.UUCP */
>
>  One irritating "feature" I have found in Procomm Plus has to do with the
>way it handles aborts of dials.  If the phone is ringing, but you want to
>abort it, you say "well, just hit <ESC> and it will stop."  Well, it stops
>Procomm all right but it doesn't hang up the modem, which means that you
>have to go back into terminal mode and hit a <CR> to stop it.  Maybe there
>is a setup command to do this, but it didn't seem like it.  I am using an
>Everex 2400 baud modem (a standard Hayes command set clone) and I am
>wondering how to fix this.

Works fine for me.  I'm using a Hayes Smartmodem 2400 and I have it
programmed to respond to DTR.   When you ESC from the dialing sequence
DTR is dropped and I think it also sends the hangup sequence you
specified in SETUP (note: when you use ALT-H when in terminal mode
it will drop DTR and check for CD.  IF CD is still present it will then
send the hangup sequence).  If you have your modem ignore DTR and you
don't have a hangup string specified then your modem won't disconnect.
Of course this is all covered in the manual.