[comp.sys.ibm.pc] OS/2 under UNIX futures

waynec@hpsrli.HP.COM (Wayne Cannon) (02/27/88)

Has anyone heard anything about the future of OS/2 running under
UNIX/XENIX?  My concern is the long term viability of a strategy based
on VP/ix or DOS Merge as OS/2 becomes more prevalent.

  Wayne Cannon
  {hpccc|hpcea}!hpnmd!waynec
  waynec@hpnmd.HP.COM
  (telco) (707)-577-3631

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/29/88)

In article <340004@hpsrli.HP.COM> waynec@hpsrli.HP.COM (Wayne Cannon) writes:
>Has anyone heard anything about the future of OS/2 running under
>UNIX/XENIX?  My concern is the long term viability of a strategy based
>on VP/ix or DOS Merge as OS/2 becomes more prevalent.

The way it's designed (emulation box, etc), I would doubt very much
that OS/2 would ever run under UNIX except on an emulated machine.

The reverse may not be true, however.  OS/2 makes a lot of assumptions
about the hardware of your system; most UNIX's do not.  I don't
believe it would be that hard to patch a UNIX kernel to use OS/2 calls
instead of its own.  Of course you'd loose performance with the
in-between steps, but you'd get the double OS that you're looking for.
I would imagine that the UNIX system call interface would need
redefining, so you'd have to recompile everything with new libraries.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

brunke@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Jim Brunke) (02/29/88)

ATT is working on such at project now to run on their new 386 machines.

That is about all I have heard.  (Obviously something that is OS/2 compatible
will also be DOS compatible)

Jim Brunke

--
ARPA:  brunke@vax1.acs.udel.edu

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (03/02/88)

In article <20246@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) writes:
> In article <340004@hpsrli.HP.COM> waynec@hpsrli.HP.COM (Wayne Cannon) writes:
> >Has anyone heard anything about the future of OS/2 running under
> >UNIX/XENIX?  My concern is the long term viability of a strategy based
> >on VP/ix or DOS Merge as OS/2 becomes more prevalent.
>
> The way it's designed (emulation box, etc), I would doubt very much
> that OS/2 would ever run under UNIX except on an emulated machine.
> jim frost : madd@bu-it.bu.edu

Problem is that (unlike DOS) OS/2 and UNIX SV require protected mode
execution.  VP/ix and DOSMerge run on 80386 in a virtual machine mode
known as VM86 to emulate exactly DOS.  Corresponding 80286 mode switches
are undocumented and un-protected!  (That is, an ill behaved DOS program
can/will crash UNIX or OS/2 compatibility box and other DOS-under-protected
mode programs.)  The big catch to OS/2 under UNIX is that current Intel
processors do not have a 80286 virtual machine.  If a hypothetical future
chip (80486?) supported this, there is no reason that OS/2 for 80286
would not be able to be run as a VM just as DOS is today.

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
...!{ames|harvard|rutgers|topaz|...}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) (03/02/88)

In <739@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> brunke@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Jim Brunke) writes:

>ATT is working on such at project now to run on their new 386 machines.
>That is about all I have heard.  (Obviously something that is OS/2 compatible
>will also be DOS compatible)

OS/2 and DOS applications are NOT generally compatible.  And you can bet that
any OS/2 implementation of UNIX will have to use OS/2 specific calls, making it
totally incompatible with DOS!

 Rodrigo Murillo, University of Colorado - Boulder  (303) 761-0410
 murillo@boulder.colorado.edu | ..{hao|nbires}!boulder!murillo
 ( Machines have less problems.  I'd like to be a machine. -- Andy Worhol )

brunke@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Jim Brunke) (03/03/88)

> >ATT is working on such at project now to run on their new 386 machines.
> >That is about all I have heard.  (Obviously something that is OS/2 compatible
> >will also be DOS compatible)
>
> OS/2 and DOS applications are NOT generally compatible.  And you can bet that
> any OS/2 implementation of UNIX will have to use OS/2 specific calls, making it
> totally incompatible with DOS!

Well, when I said compatible, I meant compatible though OS/2 compatiblility
window.   Thats all.

Jim Brunke

--
ARPA:  brunke@vax1.acs.udel.edu