[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Using MS Windows on a 8MHz XT Clone

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (03/01/88)

	  I've read a lot of people saying that it isn't practical to
	  run Microsoft Windows on a XT clone. I've got a 8MHZ XT clone
	  at home and I've had pretty good results running Windows. You
	  do need to tune the system a little more carefully than you
	  would with an AT clone. Here are a few things I've noticed
	  that will improve your performance on a XT clone.

	  1. Replace the 8088-2 with a V20 chip. I've noticed that
	  Windows speeds up a lot when you use a V20 chip instead of
	  the 8088. Normally a V20 chip will speed up an application 5
	  to 10% at most, but I've noticed that scrolling in Windows
	  Write is two or three times faster with the V20 in there. I
	  suspect that MULT/DIV/SHIFT type instructions that the V20
	  does very well may be heavily used in the Windows display
	  drivers.

	  2. Use Windows 2.0. The new version is distinctly faster than
	  1.0x versions of Windows. I remember trying to run two copies
	  of Windows Draw under 1.01 was hard to distinguish from a
	  system crash, but they run fine under 2.0. The screen updates
	  are noticeably quicker also.

	  3. Get an EEMS memory board. Windows comes with EMS 4.0
	  drivers for the INTEL and AST boards. Loading multiple
	  applications and switching between them is much faster with
	  this feature. I haven't even tried disabling any of my
	  motherboard memory like they suggested, to speed up the
	  task switching.

	  Some other comments. Windows Write is probably the closest
	  thing to true WYSIWYG word processing available on the PC.
	  The 1.0x version worked pretty well with laser printers and
	  the 2.0 version even does font downloading. Windows 2.0
	  includes a utility to analyze a softfont file and build the
	  width table for Write. PC Magazine in it's word processing
	  issue recently said that you could buy Windows just for Write
	  and consider the rest of it just thrown in for free. Write
	  doesn't have a lot of fancy features, but it is easy to use,
	  has good laser support, and lets you mix text and graphics
	  easily.

	  A question. Has anyone noticed peculiar behavior when using
	  the SMARTDRV program included with 2.0? After a while the
	  disk seemed to be thrashing when I tried to do a file save.
	  When I went back to using the disk caching utility included
	  with the Mace Utilities the problem went away.

	  Now if Genoa would finish the 2.0 driver for their Super EGA
	  HiRes + card so I can go back to using 800x600 resolution.

--
Joel Upchurch/Concurrent Computer Corp/2486 Sand Lake Rd/Orlando, Fl 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {cbosgd!codas,uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!joel (3058501040)

brunke@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Jim Brunke) (03/02/88)

I have been thinking about getting V2.0 but I need to know if Microsoft
still includes a driver for cga????

In V1.04 (I think) their was no cga support.

Jim Brunke

--
ARPA:  brunke@vax1.acs.udel.edu

dennis@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM (Dennis Foster) (03/03/88)

In article <750@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> brunke@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Jim Brunke) writes:
>I have been thinking about getting V2.0 but I need to know if Microsoft
>still includes a driver for cga????
>
>In V1.04 (I think) their was no cga support.
>
>Jim Brunke

I think there was support for CGA in v1.04.  Anyway, contrary to the
information printed on the box, MS-Windows v2.03 does contain the
drivers necessary for running on CGA.

How do I know?  I bought one for a CGA based system and make use of
it every day.