[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ProComm Plus Kermit Problem

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) (02/26/88)

In article <996@nscpdc.NSC.COM> rickr@nscpdc.NSC.COM (Rick Riverman) writes:

>My preliminary tests of ProcommPlus show that it won't transfer files to
>a UNIX system using Kermit.  Procomm 2.42 does this just fine.  If you attempt
>to transfer a file to a UNIX system with Kermit set to receive, ProcommPlus
>will NOT terminate the kermit receiver when the transfer is complete.  This
>is quite an inconvenience because you are left with a UNIX connection stuck
>in kermit protocol that must time out before you can continue.
>
>So much for Capitalists...

That's funny, I haven't had that problem at all, and I use kermit transfers
all the time. You'd might want to check out your kermit setup on ProComm
Plus and make sure it is compatible with the kermit settings on your UNIX
system. An older version of kermit on one system gives a termination message
like this when completed:

Transfer terminated with this message from remote host:

But otherwise nothing was different.

Brian O'Neill					University of Lowell
boneill@hawk.cs.ulowell.edu - boneill@hawk.UUCP ...!ulowell!hawk!boneill
MS-DOS Software Exchange Coordinator - E-mail for details

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (03/02/88)

In article <5108@swan.ulowell.edu>, boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) writes:
> In article <996@nscpdc.NSC.COM> rickr@nscpdc.NSC.COM (Rick Riverman) writes:
> >

> >My preliminary tests of ProcommPlus show that it won't transfer files to
> >a UNIX system using Kermit.  Procomm 2.42 does this just fine.  If you attempt
     I found that when using Procomm-plus or older versions of Procomm
to transfer files from my Unix system that I must manually set the
parity of the Unix kermit to Even. After doing this, it works just fine.
If I call a DOS BBS with my Unix machine and use Kermit, I dont have to
touch parity and it works fine.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

hans@garfield.UUCP (Hans Rollmann) (03/04/88)

Kermit uploads on UNIX through PROCOMM succeed for me only if I
set the following switches: "kermit -r -p e". I haven't worked
out a successful download procedure yet, but would welcome
suggestions.
Hans Rollmann (hans@garfield.uucp; hans@mun.bitnet)