[comp.sys.ibm.pc] USENET with PC-DOS

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (03/02/88)

Once one has UUCP working on a PC under MS-DOS, what is available for
reading news?  The real 2.11 news software would be a bear to port
to DOS.

Is there something else (perhaps a simpler, scaled down version) that
runs under DOS?
--
David Beckemeyer			| "To understand ranch lingo all yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| have to do is to know in advance what

doug@isis.UUCP (Doug Thompson) (03/05/88)

  >From: david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer)
  >Date: 2 Mar 88 01:49:40 GMT
  >Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,news.misc
  >

  >Once one has UUCP working on a PC under MS-DOS, what is available
  >for
  >reading news?  The real 2.11 news software would be a bear to
  >port
  >to DOS.
  >
  >Is there something else (perhaps a simpler, scaled down version)
  >that
  >runs under DOS?

Well at this moment I am using Opus (in keyboard mode) to read (and
reply and post). With micro-emacs as the Opus external editor, one can
get pretty good reply quoting (as above), move through messages pretty
quickly, and create messages quite easily. Ufgate is used to do the
actual mail transfer with uucp sites, and to convert the fidonet type of
msgs that Opus makes to the standard RFC 822 format.

This system assumes you are alrady running a FidoNet mail system. Ufgate
allows you to *add* uucp mail and Usenet news capability up to the limit
of your disk space.

If your objective is simply to have a News system on your PC without the
FidoNet part, the Opus/Ufgate combination is perhaps overkill, and you
will be operating a lot of code without any reason and wasting time
converting back and forth between RFC 822 and FTSC 002 (Fido).

The package also doesn't have several features which rn does have
(although features are being added all the time so it may not be long).

For reading straight RFC 822 msgs I have used the picnix more and grep
functions in batch files to search for subject lines and then
sequentially display the msgs I want in a way that is remarkably like
rn. Of course, this provides for no automatic posting or reply.

If you add the FidoNet program confmail to the Opus/Ufgate combo, you
get the "maint" function which establishes links between msgs with the
same subject line. This permits some capability to follow reply chains
through a large msg base.

These programs will all be made available by anonymous ftp here as soon
as I can figure out how to set that up. I have a set of 1.2 floppies
with the whole works on it which I will send to anyone who sends disks
and postage. The whole shabang occuppies *3* 1.2 Mb floppies of
compressed files. This is not the sort of thing one normally wants to
send over the modem at 2400 BAUD long distance.

Postal Address: 280 Phillip St., Unit B-3-11, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3X1
UUCP: {path}!watmath!isis!doug
Fido: 1:221/0 (Doug_Thompson)
Intr: doug@isis.math.waterloo.edu

(I realize the site name isis is a duplicate and I am in the midst of
changing it. But it works as long as you route through watmath

--
UUCP: ... path ... watmath!isis!doug