[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Bulletin Board Software Needed

LISAS@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Lisa Lewis) (01/06/88)

I am looking for bulletin board software that will work on a pc.
People must be able to access it using Kermit?  Any suggestions
(posted or mailed to me) would be much appreciated.

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (01/07/88)

LISAS@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Lisa Lewis) wrote:
> I am looking for bulletin board software that will work on a pc.
> People must be able to access it using Kermit?  Any suggestions
> (posted or mailed to me) would be much appreciated.

    Fido will handle Kermit in its latest incarnation.  You can
download a version 11 copy from my board or you can contact Fido
Software at (415) 764-1688 to purchase the newest version (12e).
v11 was a kind of shareware to commercial users and free to
non-commercial users.  v12 is you-pay-for-it-up-front software.
There is also Opus which is known as Militenly Public Domain.
It may have Kermit as a protocal.

	    Tim

PS. Please excuse the spellings, I had a cold...

| ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar      |
|                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406      |
|  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904 |
|         USNail:  KKSF  77 Maiden Lane  San Francisco CA 94108       |

Usenet_area_"Cs.I.Pc"@watmath.waterloo.edu (01/07/88)

From Usenet: ufcsv!codas!killer!wnp
From: wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: Bulletin Board Software Needed
Date: 7 Jan 88 16:58:14 GMT

In article <3792@hoptoad.uucp> pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) writes:
-     Fido will handle Kermit in its latest incarnation.  You can
- download a version 11 copy from my board or you can contact Fido
- Software at (415) 764-1688 to purchase the newest version (12e).
-
- 	    Tim
-
- PS. Please excuse the spellings, I had a cold...
-
- --
- =======================================================================
- | ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar      |
- |                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406      |
- |  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904 |
- |         USNail:  KKSF  77 Maiden Lane  San Francisco CA 94108       |
- =======================================================================

And where is the phone number for your board? How can we call it without
the phone number? (the number listed as "PaBell..." is KKSF voice).

Thanks ...

Wolf Paul
ihnp4!killer!wnp

--- via UGate v1.6
 * Origin: watmath (221/163)

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (01/08/88)

laud1234@fredonia.UUCP (Norm Laudermilch) (01/08/88)

In article <4131@pucc.Princeton.EDU> LISAS@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>I am looking for bulletin board software that will work on a pc.
>People must be able to access it using Kermit?  Any suggestions
>(posted or mailed to me) would be much appreciated.

     There are quite a few BBS programs out there for IBM type machines.
I have been running an Opus system for about a year and I love it. It has       provisions for Kermit and many other transfer protocols. The whole system is
availible from many bulletin boards around the country (including mine) but
is too large to post in the net.

     There are a few other BBS systems available that are smaller such as,
RYBBS, and WWI but they are not as versatile as Opus. If you would like a copy  of Opus please respond to me directly and I will give you the information
needed to get it from my board. Good Luck!

                                              - Norm Laudermilch
     NOTE: The above is strictly my own
           opinion, and probably will
           remain that way!

Usenet_area_"Cs.I.Pc"@watmath.waterloo.edu (01/08/88)

From Usenet: cbosgd!ucbvax!hoptoad!pozar
From: pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Date: 8 Jan 88 14:04:58 GMT

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) wrote:
> In article <3792@hoptoad.uucp> pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) writes:
> -     Fido will handle Kermit in its latest incarnation.  You can
> - download a version 11 copy from my board or you can contact Fido
> - Software at (415) 764-1688 to purchase the newest version (12e).
> - =======================================================================
> - | ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar      |
> - |                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406      |
> - |  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904 |
> - |         USNail:  KKSF  77 Maiden Lane  San Francisco CA 94108       |
> - =======================================================================
>
> And where is the phone number for your board? How can we call it without
> the phone number? (the number listed as "PaBell..." is KKSF voice).

     Pardon me.
     (415) 391-2657 (300/1200)

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (01/08/88)

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (01/12/88)

In article <3792@hoptoad.uucp>, pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) writes:
> LISAS@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Lisa Lewis) wrote:
> > I am looking for bulletin board software that will work on a pc.
> > People must be able to access it using Kermit?  Any suggestions
> > (posted or mailed to me) would be much appreciated.
>
>     Fido will handle Kermit in its latest incarnation.  You can
> download a version 11 copy from my board or you can contact Fido
> Software at (415) 764-1688 to purchase the newest version (12e).
> v11 was a kind of shareware to commercial users and free to
> non-commercial users.  v12 is you-pay-for-it-up-front software.
> There is also Opus which is known as Militenly Public Domain.
> It may have Kermit as a protocal.
>
> 	    Tim

I have been using an Opus system (it is at v1.3) and it supports Kermit,
Z/XModem, Sealink, etc. And yes, indeed it is very Militently P/D !! Our
Opus board have the execs on it so anyone that has access can download a copy.
It can also talk Fido as we now have a link to a local Fido for newsfeed
(Echomail etc). The current system fits on 3 360k disks.

Peter/
Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-8528

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, I'm only a physicist.
            Don't quote me on anything! I speak only for myself.

Opus: "Why, fer cryin' out loud..research physicists need Porsches, TOO!!"

						 -- Bloom County

tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) (02/16/88)

Anyone feel like posting Opus?

Tim

dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) (02/17/88)

In article <660002@otter.hple.hp.com> tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) writes:
>Anyone feel like posting Opus?
>
>Tim

Feeling like it has nothing to do with it.  a) the Opus system is well over
250K with utilities.  b) There are over 2000 Matrix boards out that, probably
one-half to two-thirds of which run Opus, and most have it available for
downloading.  c) Opus must be made fully and FREELY available on every
system on which it is stored, and most Usenet and Internet sites wouldn't
count.

In a couple of weeks (read: when I have a chance), I'll make it available
for anonymous ftp from my Opus bulletin board..  Keep an eye on this
space. :-)

-dg-

Internet: dave@clutx.clarkson.edu
BITNET:   dave@CLUTX.Bitnet
uucp:     {rpics, gould}!clutx!dave
Matrix:   Dave Goldblatt @ 1:260/360

"All the world's indeed a stage
 And we are merely players
 Performers and portrayers
 Each another's audience
 Outside the gilded cage"
                           -- "Limelight", by Rush

sflaher@polyslo.UUCP (Steve Flaherty) (02/17/88)

In article <660002@otter.hple.hp.com> tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) writes:
>Anyone feel like posting Opus?
>
>Tim

I don't think that there is a big enough demand for BBS software to warrant
posting Opus and its support files to the binaries newsgroup.  If anyone
really wants a copy of Opus, they can e-mail me, or better yet, send me
floppies ala Wolf Paul's offer for some of the other programs.

Steve

Steve Flaherty                      | USENET sflaher@polyslo.uucp
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo           | USNAIL 1239 Bond #C   SLO, CA   93401
Computer Science Department         |   ICBM 35 17 N  120 40 W
                                    | MABELL (805) 541-5689 voice
Sysop, The SLO PC File Transfer BBS |    BBS (805) 541-1749 300/1200/2400

emp@ut-emx.UUCP (naDev~tlhIngan~putulu) (02/21/88)

In article <660002@otter.hple.hp.com>, tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) writes:
> Anyone feel like posting Opus?
>
> Tim

...you've GOT to be kidding!!!!

....Try WWIV instead. At least it's got the SOURCE CODE!

....can Dopus or any oter say that?

							OM

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/24/88)

In article <901@ut-emx.UUCP> emp@ut-emx.UUCP (naDev~tlhIngan~putulu) writes:
| In article <660002@otter.hple.hp.com>, tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) writes:
| > Anyone feel like posting Opus?
| >
| > Tim
|
| [ many blank lines and statements ending in !!! ]
| [ more lines with !!! about something called WWIV ]
| ....can Dopus or any oter say that?

The software is called OPUS, and is always distributed in source form.
By contrast a "Dopus" is a person who flames a product he has never owned,
used, or understood, then points to his favorite alternative as better
because of the (mythical) flaws in the other product.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

manes@marob.MASA.COM (Steve Manes) (02/24/88)

From article <901@ut-emx.UUCP>, by emp@ut-emx.UUCP (naDev~tlhIngan~putulu):
> ...you've GOT to be kidding!!!!
> ....Try WWIV instead. At least it's got the SOURCE CODE!
> ....can Dopus or any oter say that?

Unfortunately, that software title might be more descriptive than the
author intended.  Having BBS software source in hand is convenient for
local site modifications but it's equally attractive to the runny-nosed
Snidelys out there.  The only thing that could be more irresistable to
junior terrorist mindsets than the knowledge of zapping the hard disks
of possibly thousands of people is gaining first-person access to those
machines, which is exactly what happened here a few years ago when a
hacked copy of the RBBS-PC source made the rounds.

Unless someone is a fairly sharp programmer and has hours to spare scanning
source code for disk bombs and password collectors, I'd stick with binaries
of protected source code for anything that would allow unknown outside
users to have (possibly) complete access to my operating system.

Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com (02/25/88)

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen, who hates fools)
writes:
->In article <901@ut-emx.UUCP> emp@ut-emx.UUCP (naDev~tlhIngan~putulu) writes:
->| In article <660002@otter.hple.hp.com>, tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) wri
->es:
->| > Anyone feel like posting Opus?
->| >
->| > Tim
->|
->| [ many blank lines and statements ending in !!! ]
->| [ more lines with !!! about something called WWIV ]
->| ....can Dopus or any oter say that?
->
->The software is called OPUS, and is always distributed in source form.
->By contrast a "Dopus" is a person who flames a product he has never owned,
->used, or understood, then points to his favorite alternative as better
->because of the (mythical) flaws in the other product.

Not so mythical.  I've accessed OPUS on a well-run BBS, and although it's
unquestionable the fanciest of the MS-DOS BBSs, it's the buggiest piece
of software I've ever seen.  If you're patient and you don't panic every
time something bizarre happens, it's a lot easier to use than then the
usual Fido- or RBBS-type systems (which are the only other common systems
I know).  But its problems are still pathetic.  The most extreme is the
full-screen editor, where *any* keystroke causes about 50 bytes worth of
unnecessary cursor motion, and it's very easy to destroy your message
accidentally.  Of course, no one else has *any* full-screen editor...

Also the name is dumb.

BTW Bill, are you keeping track of your balance at the Insult Bank?  You
don't want to get overdrawn.

Isaac Rabinovitch
Disclaimer:  Just because I think you're wrong, doesn't
             mean I don't think you're a fun person!
:-)

emp@ut-emx.UUCP (naDev~tlhIngan~putulu) (02/26/88)

In article <9662@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <901@ut-emx.UUCP> emp@ut-emx.UUCP (naDev~tlhIngan~putulu) writes:
> | In article <660002@otter.hple.hp.com>, tjfs@otter.hple.hp.com (Tim Steele) writes:
> | > Anyone feel like posting Opus?
> | >
> | > Tim
> |
> | [ many blank lines and statements ending in !!! ]
> | [ more lines with !!! about something called WWIV ]

...this "Something" is a BBS program written by Wayne Bell. It's currently
in Turdo Pascrap 3.1, but he is working on a C version, and is reportedly
reconsidering this move so as to include a TP 4.0 version as well.

...currently, it is very popular with the online game crowd, as it is very
suitable for adapting to game specifications. In fact, with source code
available, you can do almost anyhthing within memory limits.

> | ....can Dopus or any oter say that?
>
> The software is called OPUS, and is always distributed in source form.
> By contrast a "Dopus" is a person who flames a product he has never owned,
> used, or understood, then points to his favorite alternative as better
> because of the (mythical) flaws in the other product.

...if this was some sort of really smart-assed referrence to me, let me take
a moment to totally burst your bubble.

...I've been running BBS's sine 1986. I've dabbled in RBBS (WIth emphasis on
the fact that it's BS), ran Genesis for all of two days (it was in Beta-Test,
but even then I couldn't tailor it to my needs), and finally wound up using
WWIV because it had the source code available for ALL segments of the program.

...after running my board for about 6 months, I was given a copy of Opus to
try out. It did NOT have source code in any form, and simply was too damn
"Bland" for my tastes. Also, there was no newscan for the files section
(a feature the thing STILL doesn't have!).

...now, a lot of local boards run Opus (we've got two nodes, 382 and 145(?) -
the former being a productive node, the latter stifled by overregulation),
but NONE of them have source code. It has not been released, and from what
I've been told by some users down here that KNOW the guy who wrote Opus it
will NEVER be released.

...so, if you've got the source code, then consider yourself lucky. I, for one
would like to see how it's structured. But from what we know down here (and
we're only a 5-hour drive from Dallas), source isn't available for Dopus, and
you are obviously talking through your hat.

						OM

Discalmer: If I'm wrong, then POST the source code and prove it!

emp@ut-emx.UUCP (naDev~tlhIngan~putulu) (02/27/88)

In article <149@marob.MASA.COM>, manes@marob.MASA.COM (Steve Manes) writes:
> From article <901@ut-emx.UUCP>, by emp@ut-emx.UUCP (naDev~tlhIngan~putulu):
> > ...you've GOT to be kidding!!!!
> > ....Try WWIV instead. At least it's got the SOURCE CODE!
> > ....can Dopus or any oter say that?
>
> Unfortunately, that software title might be more descriptive than the
> author intended.  Having BBS software source in hand is convenient for
> local site modifications but it's equally attractive to the runny-nosed
> Snidelys out there.  The only thing that could be more irresistable to
> junior terrorist mindsets than the knowledge of zapping the hard disks
> of possibly thousands of people is gaining first-person access to those
> machines, which is exactly what happened here a few years ago when a
> hacked copy of the RBBS-PC source made the rounds.

...this is a possibility that the programmer, Wayne Bell, realized when he
put the program into the Pubic Domain. His solution was simple: On the docs
themselves, put the following notice:

	"Unless you have received this package from my BBS via downloads,
	Then you implement this at your own risk."

...on the other side of the coin, there's this:

	"Under no circumstances should you distribute this software in any
	other form than it's original version. If you modify it in any way,
	do not distribute your version. You may distribute a file desribing
	how to make the same mods you have made, but not the actual modified
	BBS."

...I agree. There are a few jerks who have tried in the past to pass off a
bugged copy of WWIV on a BBS so that some unsuspecting moron can D/L it and
get ripped, but this has only happened in three recorded instances. Ironically,
two of them happened here in town (And the little pest who got the viraled
copy got just what he deserved, too)(Not that I advocate viral revenge, mind you).

...A word to the wise: If you DO get WWIV, get it from Wayne Bell's board. One
of these days I'll find the number again, and post it on the Net.

						OM

dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) (02/29/88)

In article <975@ut-emx.UUCP> emp@ut-emx.UUCP (naDev~tlhIngan~putulu) writes:

>....if this was some sort of really smart-assed referrence to me, let me take
>a moment to totally burst your bubble.

Not totally, 'cuz I'm going to burst yours too. :-)

>....I've been running BBS's sine 1986. I've dabbled in RBBS (WIth emphasis on
>the fact that it's BS), ran Genesis for all of two days (it was in Beta-Test,
>but even then I couldn't tailor it to my needs), and finally wound up using
>WWIV because it had the source code available for ALL segments of the program.

....I've been running bulletin boards since 1982.  I've looked at RBBS, but
it was more a first attempt at a bulletin board than anything else; supposedly
it's improved over the years, but I've never been interested in it.

I've had WWIV 3.1 running on a bulletin board on Long Island for over two
years now, and had it on another for about a year and a half.  While it
is nice to have source, WWIV has it's problems.  The message handling
facility is very weak.  The editor is very simple as well, lacking any
advanced features (I don't consider word-wrap to be an advanced feature).
The file area does have a couple of nice touches (it shows who uploaded
files, for example).  But it has a very limited set of transfer protocols,
and in the version I have, doesn't support anything more sophisticated
than Ymodem (and it isn't even Ymodem-batch).  It's communications
routines aren't tremendously fast, but they are adequate.  The user
file is set to a max of 300 by default, although it could be changed. It
uses Turbo overlays a lot, however, and I've run out of memory on it a
number of times trying to have too many users, etc. (on a 640K machine)

>....after running my board for about 6 months, I was given a copy of Opus to
>try out. It did NOT have source code in any form, and simply was too damn
>"Bland" for my tastes. Also, there was no newscan for the files section
>(a feature the thing STILL doesn't have!).

You are correct -- the source to Opus is not available to the general
public, for the simple reason that with only one central authority working
on it, we can be sure there won't be hacked or other tampered versions
out there.  This DID happen with WWIV.  If there is a feature you want to
see in Opus, send code <tm, WWIII>.  It will be put in after being tested
to determine if a) it works, and b) others would benefit.

"The thing" does have a new file scan (for each message area).  Try the
"f*" command (documented, and has been in place since Opus version 1.00).
Obviously, you're not even close to being an expert on Opus.  (not that
anyone is, including the author.. :-)  (Opus doesn't have bugs; it has
mites. :-)

>[...]but NONE of them have source code. It has not been released, and from what
>I've been told by some users down here that KNOW the guy who wrote Opus it
>will NEVER be released.

Correct.  See above.

>....so, if you've got the source code, then consider yourself lucky. I, for one
>would like to see how it's structured.
Opus structures are publicly available, and always have been.  You can file
request them from my board (1:260/360) as OPROCS.ARC; they have been made
available to users/sysops can write their own external programs, protocols,
etc. for Opus.  (Opus by default supports Xmodem, Ymodem, SEAlink, and Zmodem,
and external protocols for Kermit and a number of others are publicly
available).

>But from what we know down here (and we're only a 5-hour drive from Dallas),

(what does proximity to Dallas have anything to do with it?  If WWIV supported
netmail, you wouldnt need to drive down to Dallas to ask Wynn a question. :-)

> source isn't available for Dopus, and you are obviously talking through your
> hat.

I agree with the original respondent to your posting about the use of the
word "dopus"; he's correct.  Just because YOU don't like something (or are
unable to figure it out), doesn't mean it isn't as good as, or possibly
better, than YOUR favorite.

>Discalmer: If I'm wrong, then POST the source code and prove it!

It's "disclaimer".  Maybe you _should_ calm down, but then again..

I still would like to know what your burning need for source is, if
you're not going to tamper with the program; almost everything in Opus
is configurable.

Anyhow, I really am not interested in continuing this discussion.  If you're
interested in netmail, file requests, echo conferences, and so on, I suggest
you look at Opus.  It's free (not shareware, it's _free_), whereas Fido v12
and TBBS are not.  WWIV is nice if you are running a local-only bulletin
board and you like to tinker with source (I do, and did, but I like Opus
more).  It is also shareware ($25 donation suggested).

So enough of this, ok?  Lot of spool space being used on this discussion.. :-)

-dg-

Internet: dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu
BITNET:   dave@CLUTX.Bitnet
uucp:     {rpics, gould}!clutx!dave
Matrix:   Dave Goldblatt @ 1:260/360

Disclaimer: I don't work for anybody. :-)

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/01/88)

  I would like to thank all the people who mentioned that the OPUS
source is not supposed to be available. I have (had) two versions of the
source, one which I downloaded and one which was uploaded to my BBS.
Fortunately I didn't post either. I have deleted both from the archive
where they lived.

  I have verified that the binary is public domain (not that anyone
would tell me if they were running a pirate copy).

  I reread my original posting, and still don't see how people can think
I said anything bad about WWIV. I didn't say a thing about it, good bad
or indifferent.

  I stand by my statement that a Dopus is someone who thinks that his
favorite product looks better if he flames some other product.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

davejag@wybbs.UUCP (Dave Jaglowski) (03/01/88)

In article <9662@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> The software is called OPUS, and is always distributed in source form.
> By contrast a "Dopus" is a person who flames a product he has never owned,
> used, or understood, then points to his favorite alternative as better
> because of the (mythical) flaws in the other product.
> --
> 	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
>   {uunet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen
> "Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me
I think you ought to get YOUR facts straight. NOBODY has the OPUS source! It
only comes in executable and very fragmented form. If you actually have the
source code, than I'd appreciate your sending it to me, as it's not availible
it seems in Michigan or anywhere I've called.
WYBBS: SCO XENIX     Grand Rapids, Michigan     Phone: (616) 457-1964
UUCP: Ihnp4!killer!Wybbs!Davejag --- Dave Jaglowski - (616)676-2647
"Fer cryin' out loud... Research physcisits need Porches too!" - Opus

Robert_F_Breedlove@cup.portal.com (03/02/88)

The computer field is like most fields. There are people who think that
they know everything there is to know and folks that know that they don't
know everything there is to know. You can determine which the "Dopus"
falls into.

On my board "BOBsBBS 916/929-7511", I conducted a survey to find out
which features of BBS software callers liked most. Not surprising to me, at
least, callers mentioned factors associated with ACTIVE callers and SYSOPs
rather than features of software that make boards more popular than others!

Take heed potential sysops! No matter what software you want to run,
your callers will be happier if YOU are active on the board!

BTW: I'm not new at this. I've been a sysop since 1985.

Geoffrey_Welsh@watmath.waterloo.edu (03/02/88)

   BULLETIN!

   Opus 1.03a will not work properly between March 1st 1988 and March
1st 1994! It won't recognize the SCHED.BBS file contents and will cut off
all users on a "TIME LIMIT" excuse as soon as they read the welcome screen.

   The patch, called FIXDATE.COM is distributed with source under the
name OBUG_103.ARC ( <2K ). I'd post it but, because this is a Fido and not a
Usenet site, I cannot UUENCODE files.

   If requested, I will post source here.

   Geoff ( watmath!fido!221.171!izot )

P.S.: The Opus authors blame MS for the bug - apparently in was in an MSC 5.
0 library routine. IF this is true, there may be a lot of malfunctioning
software out there!

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: The Waterloo Window: WOC's out there? (1:221/171)

mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) (03/03/88)

In article <975@ut-emx.UUCP> emp@ut-emx.UUCP (naDev~tlhIngan~putulu) writes:
>In article <9662@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>> | [ many blank lines and statements ending in !!! ]
>> | [ more lines with !!! about something called WWIV ]
>
>...this "Something" is a BBS program written by Wayne Bell. It's currently
>in Turdo Pascrap 3.1, but he is working on a C version, and is reportedly
>reconsidering this move so as to include a TP 4.0 version as well.

Well, I've been running and writing BBS systems since 1980 (Got started on the
TRS-80 Model I working with Wayne Greene in FL) and have been constantly
upgrading and redesigning all this time.  Anyway, to make a long story short,
in comp.binaries.ibm.pc is a copy of the latest DMGBBS system that I've been
working on.  I only uploaded the executable files as the source code is over
1M and no matter how I compress and squeeze it, its rediculously long.

Anyway, the executable is there to look at and play with and determine if your
interested in getting a copy of the source code.  The thing is a shareware
type of deal.  Feel free to give the BBS out to whomever you feel like as I
don't really mind at all.  If you'd like the source code, read the opening
and closing screens on the system to figure out where to send for the stuff.

As with WWIV, ALL the source code is available (other than the external
programs that I didn't write and one TPU file), otherwise there are around
20000+ lines of code to wade through to re-write whatever suits your fancy.
You can even create new UNITS and connect them into the system...

Well, let me know what anyone thinks about the subject...

--
..!csustan ->!polyslo!mdella    | mdella@polyslo | Whatever I said doesn't
..!sdsu ---/   Marcos R. Della  | (805) 543-0135 | mean diddly as I forgot

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (Kees Huyser) (03/04/88)

In article <17259@watmath.waterloo.edu> 221.162.fido!Geoffrey_Welsh@watmath.waterloo.edu writes:
#
#   BULLETIN!
#
#   Opus 1.03a will not work properly between March 1st 1988 and March
#1st 1994! It won't recognize the SCHED.BBS file contents and will cut off
#all users on a "TIME LIMIT" excuse as soon as they read the welcome screen.

As a sysop who has also been bitten by this bug, I can offer a workaround
for the problem for those who do not yet have the patch.

Create a new event at 23:59. It is not important what the event does, e.g.
you could run an eXternal event like waste.com or pauze.com to waste a
minute. Opus *will* recognize an event if it is still on the same day.
The bogus 23:59 event will force Opus to interprete the Sched.Bbs properly,
and since the event runs at 23:59 and lasts one minute, Opus will roll
over to the next day *and* read the Sched.Bbs again. Thus, any events
running at National Mail Hour will be recognized.

As for where the bug comes from : Opus started this funny behaviour on
March 1st, the day following Feb. 29, a leap-day. This is probably the
cause. Wether it is a problem in Opus or in MSC 5.0 I don't know.

-- Kees
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) (03/05/88)

In article <3627@cup.portal.com> Robert_F_Breedlove@cup.portal.com writes:
>On my board "BOBsBBS 916/929-7511", I conducted a survey to find out
>which features of BBS software callers liked most. Not surprising to me, at
>least, callers mentioned factors associated with ACTIVE callers and SYSOPs
>rather than features of software that make boards more popular than others!

I couldn't agree more with the above statment. In all the years that I have
been running boards, the activity is proportional to the time and effort that
the SYSOP puts into being an active part of his own board. Stimulation is a
key factor as well as active maintance. Those who put up a board and then
expect it to take care of itself are in for a big suprise.

Availability for chatting and commenting on things is also a big plus.
Remember that your users consider you the guru in the computer industry or
at least over your board and expect help from you on subjects dealing with
almost anything under the sun...

After over seven years of running boards, you start to notice the trends. Its
not always the software that keeps people coming although bad software will
get the going... Its the personalities involved. No longer can you just WOW
people with impressive things as they are becoming used to that. Its going
back to the ole hometown help'em out attitude...

--

dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) (03/06/88)

From article <329@nikhefk.UUCP>, by keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (Kees Huyser):
> Create a new event at 23:59. It is not important what the event does, e.g.
> you could run an eXternal event like waste.com or pauze.com to waste a
> minute. Opus *will* recognize an event if it is still on the same day.
> The bogus 23:59 event will force Opus to interprete the Sched.Bbs properly,
> and since the event runs at 23:59 and lasts one minute, Opus will roll
> over to the next day *and* read the Sched.Bbs again. Thus, any events
> running at National Mail Hour will be recognized.

I normally run an event at 23:59, and it still ignored my sched.bbs
file -- sent crashmail round the clock, etc.  If you don't have it,
GET THE PATCH!  You can ftp it from my Opus, grape.ecs.clarkson.edu
in net/obug_103.arc.

> As for where the bug comes from : Opus started this funny behaviour on
> March 1st, the day following Feb. 29, a leap-day. This is probably the
> cause. Wether it is a problem in Opus or in MSC 5.0 I don't know.

According to Wynn Wagner, it is a bug in the MSC 5.0 library.  Not sure
exactly where.

-dg-